HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:43 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
Discussion
Beginning my Skywalker x-5 build

All right got my Skywalker X-5 yesterday.

Name: photo.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 121.3 KB
Description: X-5 in its box.

Starting the build tommorow. Doing the research for putting it all together.
paulskyone is offline Find More Posts by paulskyone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:45 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
Unboxed my X-5....
Name: photo 4.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 115.1 KB
Description:
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:58 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
Here is my parts list.....

Ordered from Hobby king...took about 10 days to get.

Forgot to order some XT60 connectors and some heat shrink. The charger that I ordered is alread set up with XT60 coneectors so I figure Ill just stick with those for the battery and the esc.

Skywalker X-5 FPV / UAV Flying Wing 1180mm
NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
Turnigy TGY-9018MG Metal Gear Servo 2.5kg/13g/0.10
Folding Propeller Assembly 8x6 (Alloy/Hub Spinner) (1pc/bag)
Folding Propeller w/ Alloy hub - 7.5x4
(ordered 2 props to experiment)
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware)
TURNIGY K-Force 40A Brushless ESC
Fat Shark PredatorV2 RTF FPV Headset System w/Camera and 5.8G TX
(ordered the fat shark system to get my feet wet with FPV
Turnigy 4000mAh 3S 40C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse)
Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories (USA Warehouse)
Name: parts.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 232.4 KB
Description:

Note added Jan21, 2013
When putting together your order also include the following....
"NTM Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Pack"...Hobbyking should include this with the motor. Test bedded the motor last night, scratched my head for awhile trying to figure out how exactly to mount it. Soon discovered I needed to order this accessory pack.

Also another note here. Check to see what type of connections your charger, esc, and battery have. You may have to order additional connections for commonality. For instance my Accucel6 came with xt60 connections, my esc just came with bare leads, and my battery came with bullet plugs. Needed to order additional xt60 connectors to solder onto the esc, and my battery in order to hook everythin together.
Last edited by paulskyone; Jan 26, 2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: additional notes for order
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:17 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
So first part of the build...My son and I are going to paint it tonight. Black and Flouresent green.....

If anybody has any suggestions here please tell me. I am brand new to RC airplanes, with the exception of playing around with airhogs and flying a B737 for Southwest airlines

Any comments on any of the parts I got?

Any comments on the build?

Controller Reciever set up

Channel 1 elevon servo 1
Channel 2 elevon servo 2
Channel 3 throttle

Name: we.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 304.8 KB
Description:
Last edited by paulskyone; Jan 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:22 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
Alright got the answer to my own question on the esc / battery connection.

RC Motor and ESC Wiring - Part 1 (8 min 51 sec)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:45 AM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
Started up my Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware), and it was beeping at me and message on screen says "switch error" . Turns out, that before you turn the unit on you must have all the switches in the correct order.

Turnigy FlySky iMax Eurgle 9X Switch Error (1 min 54 sec)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
The skywalker x-5 unpacking manual and parts from Hobbyking.

note this maual is from the old skywalker x-5, the chinese did a little redesign on the X-5. I have the newest version as of January 1, 2013

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...63X7478X59.pdf
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:18 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
Skywalker X-5 after paint

Name: X-5 after paint.jpg
Views: 122
Size: 123.7 KB
Description:
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:54 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,453 Posts
Your on your way it looks like. If you have no rc flying it will be tough. Where are you located? Any chance of club or other flyer near by?
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:15 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
I am located in northern illinois. Not sure if there are any clubs near by, I am sure there are. I got started in RC FPV airplanes with a project I did last year with a group of 5th grade students. We sent a balloon to near space, got pictures and retrieved the payload. Anyway, wanting to go to the next step with this project lead me to FPV. This year our 3 fifth grade classes are going to send another balloon to 100,000ft, but this year we are going to broadcast video from the gondola (hence I am studing for my HAM radio license). I would like to use FPV with OSD (maybe eagle tree) for our project. Exploring how to make that happen lead me to the RC guys with FPV. I fly for Southwest Airlines, so I am already an aviator. Anyway myself and a couple of neighbors have started RC airplane builds together. I chose an X-5, and one of my neighbors went with the Bixler v2. I am using this forum as a running journal for my build, so other people can learn from my trials and errors. I am also hoping anyone with advice on this particular build will be willing to offer their suggestions.

Thanks mcnowhere! Any thoughts or suggestions, I am listening!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:19 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
My tunigy 9channel controller came with no maual and no binding post.

Im lucky their is a such thing as the internet, to find just about anything you need.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:42 AM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskyone View Post
I am located in northern illinois. Not sure if there are any clubs near by, I am sure there are.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/maps.php?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:57 AM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskyone View Post
I got started in RC FPV airplanes with a project I did last year with a group of 5th grade students. We sent a balloon to near space, got pictures and retrieved the payload. Anyway, wanting to go to the next step with this project lead me to FPV. This year our 3 fifth grade classes are going to send another balloon to 100,000ft, but this year we are going to broadcast video from the gondola

I fly for Southwest Airlines, so I am already an aviator.

I am using this forum as a running journal for my build, so other people can learn from my trials and errors. I am also hoping anyone with advice on this particular build will be willing to offer their suggestions.

100k wow thats cool. Do you have to get a permit for that? I know our rocket guys need to for 40k when they go up.

But have you put a rc plane up before? LOL There was a article in the ama magazine of the Blue Angels pilot going to one of the rc shows before his performance. He had some troubles. Every full scale pilot I run into says its harder to fly the models.

Don't forget about your blog page, just click on peoples names. Some have used it and some don't. And have you poked thru the fpv threads?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:13 AM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
So far in the states NSB projects under (FAR 101) with a payload of less than 4lbs are ecempt from regulations. So so far I am exempt.
Yep I have seen some of the stuff on other forums about launching an X-5 from altitude. There is a group out there called questforstars.com that is trying this with FAA approval. The guy has some really good connections with FAA and NASA. They are doing it with umbrella approval, and trying to use the NASA airspace down at the Kennedy space ceneter.I have even started a Forum group specifically for NSB over at FPV-FORUM.com.

This years NSB project we are just trying to advance one step further. Here is a link to last years project
https://sites.google.com/site/springgrovensb/
This year we are going to try to live stream (broadcast) from the gondola. Like I said to be legal I have to go take the HAM radio license test (already have the study guide, just need to go take the dam test!).
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
All I did today was glue in some Velcro stirps to keep the canopy closed. The X-5 comes with screws and some wood slats that serve this purpose. I chose to use velco instead because of the ease of use (opening and closing, and not needing a screwdriver).
Name: photo (4).jpg
Views: 52
Size: 108.6 KB
Description:
Name: photo (5).jpg
Views: 44
Size: 133.5 KB
Description: