SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:28 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Tail Skid

Pete,

I played with the tail skid this afternoon to give it some movement. It's sprung with flexible Easy Line.

Sopwith Camel Model - Working Tail Skid (0 min 35 sec)

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:08 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,169 Posts
Just tripped over this site . Very detailed card models.. often built with incredible skill.. worth looking at?
http://www.modele-kartonowe.com/frie...tml#fotofokker
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:38 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
Gene, excellent work as usual.

Bare...Yeah, some of those scale paper guys do great work, love it.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:02 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Tissue Hinging

Pete,

I AM making slow progress on the Camel (was a nice break to redo the Fokker E.III using the Rise of Flight skin!).

Here's how I did the stab and hinges (in case you want to try tissue hinges at some point):

1. Used the center section of a foam plate (1.4mm), baked it between two sheets of glass to flatten it, outlined stab and cut it out. The plate foam is stiffer than Depron of the same thickness.

2. Cut the elevator section off, beveled the hing line on both stab and elevator section, and used Por to apply thin, flat Carbon Fiber to the beveled elevator section.

3. Taped the pieces together on the bottom and applied tissue to the top. Removed tape from bottom since top tissue now holds the pieces together.

4. Folded the elevators and glued a strip of tissue to the hinge line (the tissue strip was printed to match the bottom).

5. Glued the tissue to the bottom sections, trimmed, applied chalk pastels to the edges, and sealed the edges with diluted white glue.

Works well, as you can see from this video:

Stab (1 min 54 sec)

As for the rest of your "kit", all that's left to do is the front of the hump, and the painting of the cowl - those are the hard parts of this otherwise straightforward build.

Thanks for being patient!

Gene
Last edited by speedy01; Feb 13, 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Change "paper plate" to "foam plate"
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:03 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
It looks super Gene. I really like the ROF weathering and your tissue covering work is top notch as usual.

Thank you,

Pete
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:06 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
664 Posts
That's a neat way to hinge control surfaces.
Too bad it only works with tissue covering. I can't wait see it up close and personal.
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
What do you use to make these planes so dirty and used lookin'?

Like I said on another thread ... some folks planes come out nice and shiny ... almost like they were brand new.

Yours always look like they been through a war ...

I mean that in the very best way of course.
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:31 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
Odd,

Speedy01, Gene, has posted his how to's with excellent tutorials on other builds. The weathering is provided by the ROF WWI air sim game skins.

Gene developed a method to size up paste/copy those skins to match up to scale drawings or paper model plans and copies to tissue. He's the master. He then glues the skin tissue onto the Depron foam.

We have teamed up and made some very cool weathered MIcro WWI planes.
He's done all the work really all I do is build his excellent kit.

Pete
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Odd,

Speedy01, Gene, has posted his how to's with excellent tutorials on other builds. The weathering is provided by the ROF WWI air sim game skins.
So ... the weathering is all in the skins.

It really does look SO good ...
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:08 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Wheels

These wheels are intentionally heavier (slightly) than the all-foam I normally do. This added weight in front of the Center of Gravity aids Pete in balancing these short-nose WWI birds.

1. For each wheel, I cut three 1/64 ply discs, one being smaller in diameter than the other two.

2. Laminated the 3 discs, sandwiching the smaller. This provides a groove in which to mount the tire.

3. Axle bearing is 1.53mm brass rod. The assembled wheel was trued using a Dremel.

4. Foam disc (1.8mm) was glued on the outside of each wheel and shaped to a cone, again using the Dremel.

5. Rise of Flight tissue discs were applied and weathered with chalk pastels.

6. Tires were mounted and weathered.

Gene K

Note: You can skip the foam and tissue - instead print the pattern on heavy paper and form it to a cone by removing a small pie shaped segment.
Last edited by speedy01; Apr 17, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:36 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
OMG! you are getting better and better Sir. Tose wheels look great...

Very cool

Pete
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:22 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare;24044548 Very detailed card models... worth looking at? [url
http://www.modele-kartonowe.com/friendsdone/index.html#fotofokker[/url]
Thanks for that link. You may want to check out this site for more detailed construction articles.

Gene K
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:42 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
OMG! Speedy01 has done it again. From out of the Royal Florida Air Service, RFAS, Southern branch of the Royal Northern Virginia Air Service, RNVAS 10 Sq
Sopwith works he has made one hell of a Micro 16" WS Camel... It looks so much better in person. He's sent me all the beautifully made parts that I'll put together. Using the ROF air sim skins he worked and re-worked to scale up to scale Camel Drawings. It is just a super job, I've also got his dummy paper LeRhone that I don't think I can fit it in (as it's too thick to use with the PZ P-51 motor and gear box). The cowling is a work of art and looks great as do the ribs (using tape strips below the tissue) The rudder & horz stab hindges work great.

Even the LG wheels are a work of art!

Thank you Gene well done! Oh and thank you for the E-III wing again excellent!

I will finish your 12" WS Camel before I start building this excellent bird.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Feb 28, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:12 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Pete,

Kudos to the USPS for delivering everything intact - in only two days from Florida to Virginia!!!

Glad you like the "kit" - the heavy weathering adds a lot, I think. As far as assembling the parts, I'm thinking that the wings can be assembled as a unit and then slid onto the fuselage - what do you think?

Quote:
I will finish your 14" WS Camel before I start building this excellent bird ....
You mean the 12" WS model you have under construction as shown in the pictures? Keep that beauty up there in Va where your flying buds can enjoy it!!!!!

Quote:
... thank you for the E-III wing....
Hopefully the fuselage parts and cowl also made it!

Looking forward to seeing the Camel parts flying in formation.

Gene K
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:31 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
Oh yeah, I will post pic's of the beautiful E-III wing and it's cowling again just a super job on the cowlings and wing tapes etc.

Pete