HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Do you use the "sliding tray" to switch power units from one a/c to another ... and save a little money ... or do you use this just to provide access for repair/maintenance/tweaking?
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I don't know about the sliding tray concept here.
Pete,

The tray is made sliding only so that you can position the motor in and out to suit the position you need - then you can affix it with Por, or whatever. The up and down has to be where it is for the prop shaft to exit at the center of the cowl ... obviously.

At any rate, you're the get-er-flyin' guy, and that's why I'm sending extra blank firewalls!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:10 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Hey Gene,

I'll call you. It's not the motor/gearbox it's the fact that the brick also at least in my estimation also has to be through the firewall and into the cowling right behind/on top of the motor. This has allowed me to get the CG on these types of planes without any need for additional weight being added beyond the battery.

I'd just rather do direct connections and pemanent installs.

Odd,

I guess it could be for all those reasons. it's just me I'd rather do it as a permanent placement. As much as I fly indoors where you've got very hard surfaces I just think the tray is just more weight and more things to go wrong or break. Just my opinion.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Jan 16, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:21 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post
What diameter Carbon Fiber Rod are you using here?
Depends on wing foam thickness. I use a diameter a little thinner than the width of the leading edge so that the rod fairs into the LE trough - makes a nice rounded, tough LE that way.

Quote:
have you ever given any thought to how you would deal with putting the dihedral in the wing of a a/c like the Champ?
If you're talking about the Hobbyzone Champ, it flies absolutely great the way it is, and more dihedral would only make it look strange, in my opinion.

Quote:
Trying to disguise/hide that ugly seam nearly drove me nuts.
???

Quote:
Do you use the "sliding tray" to switch power units from one a/c to another
For this build, the sliding "feature" is only to allow Pete to position the motor. Paul Bradley came up with this particular tray (mustang motor/AR6400) to allow switching it between models for all the reasons you stated. It's also a nifty way to hide and change the battery!

Quote:
How well do these [cowls] stand up to the abuse of nube flyers?
Overkill! You're generally not going to get much cowl abuse except at the bottom where they get scraped after these planes nose over on landing or while ground looping - which they all do/will do. Generally speaking, a little clear packing tape at the radius where ground contact occurs will save the paint and foam.

I'm doing this cowl thin (hence the fibercloth) so Pete has the option of housing a scale rotating model engine, which requires minimal clearance inside the cowl. That, and now that I learned how to do them, it's easier than going through countless grocery stores looking for that perfectly shaped Yogurt carton!

Appreciate your comments - makes the postings worthwhile for me.

Gene K
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:35 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
I'll call you.
Yeah, for the first time, we're not on the same page - yet!

Quote:
... the brick also at least in my estimation also has to be through the firewall and into the cowling right behind/on top of the motor.
Understand, but the motor position has to be where it is to center the prop shaft in the cowling! Then it's up to you to accommodate the brick.

There's no room under the motor, so like I said, the brick needs to be on top or on its side. Behind the motor wouldn't be good for the CG.

At any rate, you'll soon have the fuselage in your hands to play ... if you can find the time while outfitting your new pad.

Quote:
I'd just rather do direct connections and pemanent installs.
Which it will be!

Gene K
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post

Not to co-op this build thread ... but have you ever given any thought to how you would deal with putting the dihedral in the wing of a a/c like the Champ?

Trying to disguise/hide that ugly seam nearly drove me nuts.
I didn't express myself clearly. I was not talking about the HZ Champ wing.

Let me try again.

Have you ever given any thought to how you would deal with putting the dihedral in the wing of a HIGH WING MONOPLANE a/c SIMILAR TO the AERONCA Champ, or any other High Wing Monoplane, like a Piper Cub or etc.

While scratch-building a wing for a HWM, trying to disguise/hide that ugly seam nearly drove me nuts.

Perhaps this is a question I shouldn't be asking in this thread. I may send you a PM with a couple pictures ... just to get your thoughts and a couple suggestions.

Thanks for ALL your help.
Last edited by TedD60; Jan 18, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post

Appreciate your comments - makes the postings worthwhile for me.

Gene K
Right now my budget does not allow me to repay all that I have learned from this forum ... and from your build threads.

All I can offer ... is to build better model aircraft ... and to pass on to others what I am learning from ... my mentors.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:05 PM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
Greetings,

I am building a semi-scale Camel using Flyzone parts from their N17 (fuselage) and SE5a (wings), and a Parkzone P51 brick and motor. I see you've done an excellent explanation for adding dihedral to a wing, but how would you go about removing it from a wing? The SE5a's top wing has dihedral but the Camel's top wing does not, I either need to remove the dihedral or simply accept a major modification to the Camel's distinctive profile.

PS: Do you also play Rise of Flight, or do you just use their skins for reference?
kotori87 is offline Find More Posts by kotori87
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:58 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotori87 View Post
... how would you go about removing it [dihedral] from a wing?
Well, haven't done that, but first, I would try using my wing baking jig.

If I didn't have that, I'd try gently bending at the dihedral points with a mild heat source (like a heat gun) to help, and then after the wing is flat, add a reinforcing flat carbon strip across the center section. Those Flyzone wings are pretty thin, so It shouldn't be that hard.

Quote:
Do you also play Rise of Flight, or do you just use their skins for reference?
I've flown it a few times, but enjoy the eye candy more than the game aspect. As Pete said, he and Jin go head to head in it and they seem to really enjoy it (although each claims more victories than the other). One aspect of the simulation that I really use a lot is the Viewer that's called up independent of the game. That feature allows you to look at all variations of every plane offered, letting you rotate the plane in all axis, while zooming in and out (including going through the skin to look at internal structure). A terrific aid to modeling.

Good luck on your build - I hope you start a thread/post how you do it!

Gene K
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:06 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
What are you using for control horns on these a/c, particularly for the ailerons?

Could you post a picture and perhaps a description of how you make small adjustments to pushrods and push cables or point me to a thread to describes what you do here?
Last edited by TedD60; Jan 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:08 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Odd,

Since these are micro birds it does not take much to do the horns, push rods etc.

You can review most any of my micro builds and see what I've done.

If I have ailerons I use Teflon tubes with bead wire for the push rods & tubes.

Elevator rudder I use CF rods. For the horns I use any clear vac formed thin plastic that's around most items you buy these days. I draw what I need sand both sides bend a 90 1/4" section to glue to the surface. I adjust TX to neutral then CA the push rod to the horn or I'll do a z bend on wire with heat shrink & CA to the horn with adjustment holes. That way if I need to adjust any I can always just break if free and re-CA on these small micros that's all that's needed.
Last edited by mtflyr; Jan 18, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Odd,

Since these are micro birds it does not take much to do the horns, push rods etc.

Elevator rudder I use CF rods. For the horns I use any clear vac formed thin plastic that around most items you buy these days. I draw what I need sand both sides bend a 90 1/4" section to glue to the surface. I adjust TX to neutral then CA the push rod to the horn or I'll do a z bend on wire with heat shrink & CA to the horn with adjustment holes. That way if I need to adjust any I can always just break if free and re-CA on these small micros that's all that's needed.
Just the piece I was looking for.

Thanks.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:34 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Thanks to Speedy01, Gene Master of all Depron tissue covering and all things computerwise I've now got some great scale Camel drawings to help with this builds twin Vickers MGs. A while back Gene also made a great card/paper LeRhone that I may use for the Camel. I just need to add a few rod details etc. and be able to fit the P-51 motor/gearbox inside so it's free to spin off the P-51 motor shaft.

I will also use these drawings to help with all the struts and LG build.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:09 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
... Gene also made a great card/paper LeRhone that I may use for the Camel.
Pete,

I made the cowl pretty thin, the inside diameter being 1.7 in - will the paper motor fit into that? The attached cowl picture shows the foam core being melted out with the help of a little lacquer thinner.

Also attached are a couple of shots of the wings held up in a temporary wing fixture - I'll make a more permanent one out of foam in case you want to use it to align the wings.

Again, sorry for the lack of progress last month - it was busy! But I did get some replacement Depron tissued for your Fokker E.III repair (anyone wanting to see that build - it's here).

Your Vickers are going to look great -- as usual!

Gene K
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:42 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Wow! that cowling looks really, really good. Well done as usual Gene.

Pete