Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:43 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
In order to do the guns etc. I'll need the sized up paper plan to match the ROF build.
I'll do that today as I've lost interest in pro football after the Broncos blew it yesterday. Doggoneit ....

The Windsock three view is pretty good as concerns getting measurements for fabricating strut, etc. Also good for making a wing alignment template.

Gene
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Jan 13, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:03 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnokey View Post
... getting tips for my own Camel!!! - -
Man, oh man ... that's completely backwards ... COMPLETELY!, as anyone whose seen your unbelievable Camel build will agree.

This "feature" of yours is one for the ages. I can't tell you how may times I've watched that video in total amazement. RC craftsmanship at its best ... for sure.

Glad you made it "down here" to the RCG Micro neck o' the woods!

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jan 13, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:43 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,887 Posts
I should have mentioned up front that before I start cutting foam, I do paper mock ups using the "raw" skin patterns. Doing so helps surface potential challenges. For the Camel, for example, the cowl skin as used in the simulation doesn't translate, so the red tapered stripe pattern has to be laid out on the fabricated cowl and painted, vice tissued.

Gene K
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:43 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,932 Posts
I agree with Gene, Shnokey's Camel is so, so cool among the best. Those scale guys just go all out. A beautiful build he has going.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:53 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,887 Posts
Fuselage

Attached is the progress on the fuselage:

1. My "usual" construction - sides, bottom, and rear deck pieces beveled, edges colored with chalk pastels, and joined with Por.

2. Formers and firewall made using Windsock 3-view.

(The cowl shown is only a paper mock up to check size - final cowl will be fiberclothed (and will obviously not be red)).

The yellow tape shown is the new (to me) Frogtape Delicate Surface. Its low tack is perfect for me since it won't grab/rip the tissued Depron. Highly recommended for many applications requiring a delicate touch.

Gene K
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:15 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,887 Posts
Fuselage - Wing Fit

Cut the fuselage to accept the lower wing - may have to adjust incidence slightly.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jan 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:50 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,932 Posts
Love it, looks great! That will be one sweet looking Micro...

Pete
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:34 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,887 Posts
The Cowl

Progress on the cowl (Text numbers correspond to attached pics):

1. Front and profile templates were made using the Windsock 3 view.

2. Blue Foam was mounted on a Dremel cutting disk using UHU Por.

3. Foam being turned. Thick blue layer is for actual cowl, while thin layer is excess to allow easier trimming after "fiberclothing". The foam plug was turned smaller than the template since the fiberglass will bring the cowl up size.

Note: I used HobbyKing Super Thin fibercloth (between 1/2 and 3/4 oz) applied with a Minwax Water Based Polycrylic/Lightweigh Spackling mix.

4. After fiberclothing, I used my handy dandy home made portable drying box to speed things up.

5. The spackling gives a great sanding base that is easily smoothed with various grade sanding sponges, again using the Dremel.

6. Clothed cowl being trimmed - an easy cut with a sharp blade.

7. Test fit was right on.

9 & 10. Foam was removed by brushing on Lacquer thinner with cotton swabs. This process softens the cloth just a little, but putting it back into the drying box restored the "soft stiffness" of the thin cowl. I then used more cloth on the inside of the cowl (sloppily) applied with Finish Cure Epoxy, resulting in a stiff, but suitably flexible cowl ready for primer.

Turned out well except for one BIG problem - I made the engine opening using the Dremel and "discovered" that I had cut it off-center. Correcting that resulted in the opening becoming too large, as is obvious. So ....

I have two more cowls under construction, ready to prime.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jul 07, 2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:23 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,932 Posts
Master of the tissue covering Depron, ROF skins to models and cowlings... Too

Pete
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:31 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I have to go off topic for a minute and ask what computer set up you guys are running, your shots in ROF look amazing! Do you run it that high all the time, or just for the stills?
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:37 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,932 Posts
Hey Yellow,

Actually I run mine with low settings etc so the graphics are really much better if I turn things up but I'm not a computer guy so Jin and Gene help me out. Jin and I play on line against each other and we turned/he turned down some seetings so it would plkay better. At Gene's suggestion I bought a HP Pavilion at a pretty good deal the game runs great when I run the sim on my own I can improve the graphics etc. I love this sim and have not even looked back at my other favorite ILII sims.

Pete
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:34 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,887 Posts
Motor Mount

The Parkscalemodels Wisp kits I've built (Monocoupe and Beaver) use Paul Bradley's removable slide in tray concept to house both the battery and AR6400. Since the Camel's short nose mandates as much weight as possible up front, I just used the motor portion of the tray.

Pete will determine how far to slide the tray in depending on what he decides to do about adding a rotating engine or just an engine "facade". He'll likely stack the AR6400 over the motor or mount it vertically .... At any rate, I'll send him a couple spare fiber reinforced firewalls to play with.

Gene K
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:05 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,932 Posts
Hey Gene,

I don't know about the sliding tray concept here. With limited room and all weight needed up in the nose/cowling to get the CG on this bird. With that in mind. the brick will need to also go into the cowling. I'd rather not try to deal with a sliding tray on this build. The E-III, DR-I, Nieuports builds we did also required cutting into the fire wall and having the brick right behind the fake motors.

Pete
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined May 2012
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post

3. Hold soldering iron (fine tip) on top of CF leading edge, gently raising wing tip to get desired angle (don't press too long or too hard - the CF will let you know when it wants to start bending - practice first!)
What diameter Carbon Fiber Rod are you using here? It looks like its about 2 mm.

Thank you for your very detailed instructions. Some of us (well, ME anyoldways) are clipping them out and have started a scrap book.

SERIOUSLY!!!

Not to co-op this build thread ... but have you ever given any thought to how you would deal with putting the dihedral in the wing of a a/c like the Champ?

Trying to disguise/hide that ugly seam nearly drove me nuts.
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined May 2012
1,072 Posts
Re: The glassed Cowls. How well do these stand up to the abuse of nube flyers?

For a non-flying type like myself ... it might make sense to make a couple or three of these things all at the same time.
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60