HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:27 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,913 Posts
You make this sound so easy! Looks really good too!

Not looking to clog up your thread or for help figuring this out, but I have to express my frustration with PSP and why I rarely use the thing.

I opened the graphic in PSP and turned on the ruler. The scale is in pixels. Spent the next half hour trying to change to inches. The help says to change the settings in the Rulers and Units Preferences Tab. OK, simple enough but where is said tab?
Finally found it under File/Preferences/General Program Preferences. Almost every help topic leads to the same maze. They could have done a better job adding a shortcut to the tab or at least telling you where the darn thing is!

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:41 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Finally found it under File/Preferences/General Program Preferences.
Dog gone it - I had intended to show you that in an attachment to my post #14. Sorry, I was likely half asleep when I dropped that ball. After the fact, see the attachment below!

Quote:
Almost every help topic leads to the same maze.
Glenn, I can help off-line! I'd rather see you do those wonderful builds of yours than spend all that time in PSP Frustration Land.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,913 Posts
Thanks Gene. That's a completely different version. I have ancient PSP 7. I fooled around with it for the last hour or so then gave up in frustration. Just resizing is a pain in the arse. Try 80%, no too big. Try to resize again and it gives you 80% of the already reduced graphic. Have to Undo first. Try 75%, too small. Undo.... Try ..well you get the picture.... I got the graphic resized then tried to crop the aileron section so it could be flipped or mirrored and pasted into position. Got so aggravated I just about threw the laptop across the room and closed the bloody thing!!!!!
This is the most counterintuitive frigging software I have ever encountered.....

Glenn
who is about to get out the airbrush and just paint the thing...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
As with the other builds, this is how the wing was constructed:
1. ... 6. Finish edges (pastel chalk and pressure to thin trailing edge).

Note: The pics below were taken before detailing the ailerons. This model will be RET (unless Pete modifies it with aileron control). Scale dihedral should provide sufficient turn control for scale-like flight.

Gene K
Could you show how you build/add dihedral and washout to the wing? From your other builds I haven't quite figured that part out.

Thanks on the fuel pump ... never saw one before. Pretty slick stuff.

I was figuring it was some sort of emergency prop-driven generator fto power the flight and weapon systems, nav & como gear and etc in case the main electrical system was damaged.
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:04 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
The Wings, Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post
Could you show how you build/add dihedral and washout to the wing?
Funny you should ask...

1. Using the 3 view, make a Dihedral Gauge (mount on Depron).

2. Lightly score top of wing with a steel rule edge held at 45 degrees (creates a small V shaped trough).

3. Hold soldering iron (fine tip) on top of CF leading edge, gently raising wing tip to get desired angle (don't press too long or too hard - the CF will let you know when it wants to start bending - practice first!)

4. While cradling the wing on the Dihedral Gauge, fill the trough from step 2 with foam safe gap filling CA (use kicker).

You can add a brace to the center section to further set the dihedral, but I haven't found this necessary. As for washout, I usually don't (intentionally) put it in. If wanted/needed, I bend the wings after the model is finished (easier to judge symmetry).

Gene K
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:32 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
One of my respected mentors, billyjim, reminded me of this thread.

I really hated to see billyjim all but give up this hobby. He only has two airplanes in his fleet now, and doesn't seem to have the inclination to build any more. But he does putter in the calm early Alabama mornings in his Jenny .. and hopefully soon with his nieu Nieuport.

Gene K
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Quote:

Funny you should ask...

3. Hold soldering iron (fine tip) on top of CF leading edge, gently raising wing tip to get desired angle (don't press too long or too hard - the CF will let you know when it wants to start bending - practice first!)

Gene K
Thanks Gene.

Do you extend the CF (carbon fiber rod, for the rest of us nubes) leading edge the full span of the wing?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:03 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Do you extend the CF (carbon fiber rod, for the rest of us nubes) leading edge the full span of the wing?
Yes, definitely - it forms the whole leading edge (LE) and blends into the rounded wing tips. Works better for me than a mid wing spar since it provides some ding protection as well as wing stiffness... and it makes a nice round LE. Secondarily it adds a little bit more weight forward of the CG as most WWI models need weight up front because of the short nose moments.

How I do it: Sharpen the end of the CF rod, then lay the wing flat, close to the end of my bench/cutting board, and run the CF rod flat and at an angle along the leading edge, creating a trough. I use UHU Por to attach the rod to the LE.

For light colored wings, it's best to paint the CF white to keep it from showing through the tissue. The Camel wings don't need that.

Sorry I don't have any pictures as I hadn't intended to start this thread.

Gene K
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:19 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,913 Posts
FYI, I started a thread on my Camel build here, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1807720

Glenn
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:33 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Gene,

Those wings look great! way to go.

I was thinking the hump may be best shaped from blue foam not sure on how hard it may be to make it from 1 or 2mm depron.

This is going to be another great looking WWI bird.

I've got to get working soon on my Man Cave build area.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Jan 13, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:59 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I was thinking the hump may be best shaped from blue foam not sur on how hard it may be to make it from 1 or 2mm depron.
Pete,

My plan for the "hump" is attached - front section is blue foam covered with a couple of layers of super light fiberglass/spakle mix. Follows panel lines.

Since you don't have anything to do (), have you started the guns, engine, and pilot, among other things?

Gene K
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:51 AM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Quote:
One of my respected mentors, billyjim, reminded me of this thread.

I really hated to see billyjim all but give up this hobby. He only has two airplanes in his fleet now, and doesn't seem to have the inclination to build any more. But he does putter in the calm early Alabama mornings in his Jenny .. and hopefully soon with his nieu Nieuport.

Gene K
soanyoldways.. I went through a box of stuff a friend gave me. The box was one of many he passed on ... and the friend … well, he wasn’t an old friend … he was just a guy looking to pass on some stuff. Stuff? More than that, he was passing on perhaps a dream… or a memory. A child’s memory that lasted a lifetime.

In this box I found a cd. Just to see what I could see, I put the cd in my computer … and among the plans and drawings and other stuff on it (hopes and dreams), I found a video.

The video was a short recording from a camera mounted in the nose of a small airplane. The course of the airplane was around a school yard; it was easy to make out brick buildings in the shape of a grammar school and the asphalt and hoops of an outdoor basketball court.

The little airplane made is short take off run, rose into the air and began a number of gentle turns, its flight forming an oval pattern just a bit larger than the confines of the basketball court. As the plane flew higher, more of the yard could be seen; eventually the camera caught the image of a little man … an old man holding a little box with an antenna growing out of it. The little man was old, but on his face the camera could see … a smile on the man’s face … and it that smile could be seen ... the hopes and dreams of a little boy.

I looked closer at the images on my screen … watching each time that the little plane completed its oval, there was that little man... watching, smiling … dreaming.

It must have been the sun in the lens of the camera, but, as I watched, the images on my screen began to blur and change … the old man with the box and the smile … became a child … holding his father’s hand. Father and son were spending a special day … the father was taking his boy to see the aeroplane that Charles Lindberg flew to Paris in. What an magnificent flight that was, and what a magical day that father and son shared.

The little boy never forgot that day. Indeed, for the rest of his life, whenever he heard the buzz of a motor in the sky … he would look into the sky … and wonder ... at the miracle of flight … and dream the dreams of a little boy.

Mentor? Just what does that mean? Is a mentor a teacher, a person who shares skills and tools, supplies & knowledge to equip those who would follow, or is a mentor a person who finds ways to share those little boy’s dreams with as many people as he can … and in turn … makes those magical dreams live forever?

Bill’s largess (legacy?) recently reached all the way up to the hurricane-ravaged New Jersey coast. The gifts of electronic whosis and whizzbangs got shared with a young person who lost all of his electronic supplies tools and such … the stuff of dreams … to a horrible hurricane.

The radio parts, styrofoam and such, have been passed on to (slightly) younger hands … hands that are shaping those bits into another generation of models, growing models on the foundations that Bill had a hand in building. And maybe, just maybe … those bits he shared … and more (hopefully, much, much more) will be shared … with another young boy … who needs to be taught about that little Ryan aeroplane and its brave pilot … and in so, doing what can be done to keep the wonderful dream alive.

Speaking of mentors …

Hey Gene .... when you talk about baking wings … Is this what you mean? I just got it done today ... the holidays and stuff made me put a couple things on hold for a bit.

But now I can get back to what's REALLY important. I got a Curtis Hawk to finish.

Y'know ....

You just can’t never tell when you’re mentorin’ somebody …
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:24 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
I went through a box of stuff a friend gave me....
Very, very nice tribute, oddshot!

(for those who still aren't aware of it, oddshot was the recipient of all of billyjim's RC gear - and I mean ALL - literally a truck load).

Doctor Bill S (billyjim) may be somewhat up there in age, but he's a wonderful kid at heart (a smartybutt at that). An amazing character all around, including being a world champion downhill skier!

Quote:
... when you talk about baking wings … Is this what you mean?
Exactly - nice job! I think you can save some work by not using so many hold down nuts. In that regard, you may want to try wing nuts for convenience.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jan 13, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:03 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Well written Odd!

OMG, Gene are you kidding.... I have not even found my work shop table yet and still have to figure where to put it. I hope to work on that some today.

In order to do the guns etc. I'll need the sized up paper plan to match the ROF build. I also may have to order new Smooth-On materials to make pilot castings as I need to do a few one for myself, you and some for Digital Don.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:26 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Watching this one - and getting tips for my own Camel!!! - -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member