HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:50 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,953 Posts
Discussion
Start Of Micro Sopwith Camel (Using Rise of Flight Skin)

Following on the heels of our Fokker D.VIII build here , Pete (mtflyr) and I are moving along with a Sopwith Camel.

We'll use the same techniques shown in our other threads, in particular the Nieuport thread which includes some tissue printing/mounting tutorials.

Pete wanted to do the Camel flown by Lt MacGregor of the 10Sq RNAS, B flight - aircraft B6299:

Attached are some shots of Pete flying this craft in Rise of Flight, a terrific WWI flight simulation.

The wingspan will be 14.5 inches because Pete likes that size to accommodate the Parkzone P-51 motor and the Spektrum AR6400 brick. I've started with the tissue and foam, but Pete may be delayed in doing the accessories (like guns and pilot), adding the flight gear, and doing the maiden - he just moved into a beautiful new house.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:43 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,953 Posts
ROF Skin Prep

Attached is the ROF skin - lightened, etc, and each component sized to the Windsock 3-view (which was sized to Pete's desired 14.5 in wingspan).

Here's a view of the skinned Camel in ROF:

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jan 11, 2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Reposted a "squished" attachemnt
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:01 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Thanks, Jon.

The Camel will give me something to do awaiting your beautiful P-6E!

Gene K
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:05 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Windsock line drawing looks a little squished - looking at the wheel & roundel or is it me - it quite often is
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:47 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Windsock line drawing looks a little squished ...

Sorry about that. I checked my files and "discovered" that after I reduced the file size of my working jpgs via Fotosizer, the images were "squished". Went into this great little program and checked the "Keep Aspect Ratio" box, and all is well.

Thanks for pointing that out, Jon.

Gene K
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:19 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,210 Posts
Will there be a Snoopy flying the Camel? Sure hope so!
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:37 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,946 Posts
Speedy's got most of this bird done. He has more pic's he's shared with me it looks super. I'm so so lucky.

NewBe,

It's a good thing you're a Canadian.... Snoopy

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:27 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,767 Posts
I sure would know how you resize that without it getting all fuzzy. I'm building an 18" span Camel now. I downloaded the skin and screwed around with it for a while then gave up. Maybe I don't have the right software or patients to learn how to use it, but I would sure like to learn!

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined May 2012
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post

Pete wanted to do the Camel flown by Lt MacGregor of the 10Sq RNAS, B flight - aircraft B6299:

Gene K
In the above picture, what is attached to the front landing gear strut above the wheel? It doesn't seem to appear in the rest of the pictures.
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:04 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
I sure would know how you resize that without it getting all fuzzy.
Glenn,

Resizing can be tricky when manipulating pixels - for example, if you scale down by highlighting an image and pulling the corners in, you'll end up with a heavily pixelated image. Without getting into technical details (for example as introduced here), it may be easiest to just print what you have, adjusting the scale factor in the print dialog to get the size you want.

I use Paint Shop Pro to do my scaling and resizing. Part of the challenge with skins is that not all the parts on it are to the same scale - that's why I lay the individual parts (wings, fuselage, wheels, etc) via layers over a scale three view and size them to a common scale. After that, I adjust the layered 3-view to the wingspan Pete wants.

Quote:
Maybe I don't have the right software ....
What program are you using? I may be able to find some appropriate "guidance".

Quote:
I'm building an 18" span Camel now.
That's looking really nice! I hope you'll start a build thread (I couldn't find one). I really admire the work you do, and thank you for all the excellent posts on so many different airframes!

Gene K
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:17 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,767 Posts
I tried scaling from the print dialog, that didn't work well at all.
I have an old version of Paint Shop Pro and did a layered graphic once a few years ago. I found the program cumbersome and it has a steep learning curve. I spent more time reading the help than actually doing anything. Guess I'll have to give it another try.
When you import your 3 view as a layer, how do you scale it and know what the size is? Is there a scale of some sort in the software?

Maybe I should start a build thread, but the airframe is almost done now. I made the cowl removable and the equipment tray and motor are attached to it.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:28 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post
...what is attached to the front landing gear strut above the wheel?
That's a Rotherdam fuel pump which can be on either strut - or both - or none. See further details here.

Picture comes from this excellent site which chronicles the build of a full size Camel.

Gene K
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:23 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
I found the program [Paint Shop Pro] cumbersome and it has a steep learning curve.
Yup, just like Photoshop, it takes a bit to get into the program, for sure. Contact me off-line if you want to talk more about PSP.

Quote:
Is there a scale of some sort in the software?
Yes, see attached. May not be exactly as show, as this depicts the latest version of PSP versus your earlier. Basically, get the rulers via the Show/Rulers menu - they show up on top and to the side of the graphic you're working. The units (pixels, inches, or centimeters) are set via the File/Preferences/General menu. I also use ScreenCalipers, but that's another whole discussion.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jan 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:57 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,953 Posts
The Wings, Part 1

As with the other builds, this is how the wing was constructed:

1. Cut wings from Depron (using scaled 3-view patterns).

2. Glue CF tube to leading edge (makes wings rigid).

3. Print tissue (using laser).

4. Apply tape to backside of tissue (simulates ribs & rib tape).

5. Apply tissue to wings (wrapped around leading edge).

6. Finish edges (pastel chalk and pressure to thin trailing edge).

Note: The pics below were taken before detailing the ailerons. This model will be RET (unless Pete modifies it with aileron control). Scale dihedral should provide sufficient turn control for scale-like flight.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jan 12, 2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added Note