HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:55 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
107 Posts
Speaking of brass tube.......Here's how I used it to cut the holes in the top wing sheeting. I basically made a saw out of one end. I took the dremel and sharpened the edge, then cut slots across the sharpened end. Here's how it turned out.........

....and here's how the holes turned out. Nice and clean........

Thanks for looking!!
Bkndsdl is offline Find More Posts by Bkndsdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:43 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,488 Posts
Looking good Mike
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:39 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,430 Posts
Dremel's also come with different sized cutting stones (that are flat on the top). I always use those as long as I have the right size...
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:15 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
107 Posts
Thanks guys!

Got my epoxy, and got the wing halves glued up. Woohoo!!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:27 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
107 Posts
Took the clips off this morning and everything stayed where it was supposed to last night. Can't wait to get back to it this afternoon!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:39 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
I use tips like these. I stick them on a new bottle of CA and never take them off. When I'm done with gluing I just stick a piece of masking tape or blue painters tape over the tip. They very seldom are plugged, and if they do plug I just nip off the very tip.

Saves allot of glue. I remember my first build. I spent more on CA than the plane. LOL.

OOPS, EDIT,....Forgot to add the link. Gettin old. LOL

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNXD4&P=7
Tacx, the tips I got were exactly those in your link. They work very well, and the tape on the tip works great! Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:47 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
107 Posts
Ok, I am about to sheet the center section of the bottom wing, and I have a question for all you guys who have hog bipes and have done the dual servo mod.......

How did you pass the servo leads through the center sheeting into the top of the wing? I thought about making some sort of box that would keep the servo leads from dropping back through the holes that I'll make in the center of the wing, but not sure. Any thoughts? I want this to be a clean installation. I hate having to fish a lead back out through the wing. I don't want anything elaborate either, like the rubber grommets you can buy.......some pics would be nice.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,488 Posts
Mike,
I can't give you a pic cause my Bipe is hanging in the garage for winter storage, but what i did was cut two separate holes for each lead. One for the left and one for the right. Then after I brought the two leads out of the holes I put a small nylon ty-rap around them to hold them together. That way they cannot fall back into the wing.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:15 AM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
This is how I do mine. I cut my holes before I glass the center.

Pat
Toysareforkids is offline Find More Posts by Toysareforkids
Last edited by Toysareforkids; Feb 16, 2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:20 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
107 Posts
Pat, that's how I normally do them, but I invariably end up having to dig them back out because I let it fall back in.....

Tacx, the tie wrap thing gives me an idea....I guess I could put some shrink wrap around both of them, that way they'd never fall out.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:42 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
107 Posts
ok, another question.......at the point where I'm about to wrap the fiberglass tape around the center of the bottom wing. The manual says to glue the tape in with CA; I've always used epoxy for this. Any suggestions??
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:42 PM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
I also wrap a twist tie around them, but I do that after I have covered the wing. I will pull the servos again, when I cover the wing & servo hatches. My paper tubes are left almost to the center, you can see them through the holes.

Pat
Toysareforkids is offline Find More Posts by Toysareforkids
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:46 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkndsdl View Post
ok, another question.......at the point where I'm about to wrap the fiberglass tape around the center of the bottom wing. The manual says to glue the tape in with CA; I've always used epoxy for this. Any suggestions??
I have always used epoxy when joining wings with cloth. I just don't trust the CA in that application. I like to glue down the beginning of the tape with CA just to hold it in place to start, and then I can pull the cloth tight as I apply the epoxy.

I add some alcohol to the epoxy mix to thin it out which makes it easier to brush on.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2012
41 Posts
I have enjoyed following your build, now the only problem is I want a Hog biplane! I wish they were still available. I'm a big fan of the 4-star planes, I have the 40 & 60. Wish they would make that into a biplane.
74ranch is offline Find More Posts by 74ranch
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:59 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74ranch View Post

I have enjoyed following your build, now the only problem is I want a Hog biplane! I wish they were still available. I'm a big fan of the 4-star planes, I have the 40 & 60. Wish they would make that into a biplane.
74ranch,

You do not need them to do it.

You can do it yourself. Build an upper wing and give it about 3 to 5 degrees of leading edge sweptback and join it with struts to the fuselage and lower wing.

Voila _ _ _ done.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)