HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:30 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Looking good! A couple of things...

For the LE, do you know why you had some warping? I would be worried of having other warps if it is something associated with your table...

Your ailerons...they look great! But are you going to test hing them in place before doing a final sanding/shapping? You will be surprised as to how much space will be needed inbetween the wing and the ailerons, which will throw you sanding/shaping off.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:47 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron View Post
For the LE, do you know why you had some warping? I would be worried of having other warps if it is something associated with your table...
Thanks, Aaron. Yes, I know why I have the warp...........my dumb self. I trued up the sheeting for the top, but inadvertently put the opposite side of one sheet to the leading edge. Didn't realize it until I had the sheeting glued to the le and one side done. My fault, not the tables'. I've gotten most of it out and the rest I will fix when I cover it.

Quote:
Your ailerons...they look great! But are you going to test hing them in place before doing a final sanding/shapping? You will be surprised as to how much space will be needed inbetween the wing and the ailerons, which will throw you sanding/shaping off.
I had thought about the gaps between the ailerons and the wingtips / center section but not about the hinge surface.....good catch. I'll definitely get that taken care of. Thanks!!
Bkndsdl is offline Find More Posts by Bkndsdl
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:11 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Trust me...I have made the mistake RE the hinges before Not a huge deal, but dissapointing after getting a nice finish.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:26 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron View Post
Trust me...I have made the mistake RE the hinges before Not a huge deal, but dissapointing after getting a nice finish.
lol.............I will gladly learn from your mistake.

The top wing has been filled and sanded. I have not glued the center wing brace in yet, but I'll have that done this week.

Got started on the bottom wing; got the ribs, bottom and top spar, and le glued in. I got the dihedral rib glued in at the 3 degree angle. Stopping at the wing dowel balsa block........

Pics tomorrow. Long day..........ready to call it a night.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:39 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Well, I pulled an all-nighter at work Thursday; went in at 6 in the morning and didn't leave until 6 the next morning. Unexpected things happen and sometimes you just have to go with them. Needless to say, I didn't get anything done Thursday.

Friday I got the wing dowel balsa block in, the top sheeting, the sheeting on the te, the spar spacers, and the cap strips done. Flipped it over and pinned it back down.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:15 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Right side is done, waiting on the left......

Took my time, made things fit a bit better before gluing. I definitely need to get some glue tips. I am planning on going home next week and I'll be getting some at the hobby shop.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:04 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,697 Posts
I use tips like these. I stick them on a new bottle of CA and never take them off. When I'm done with gluing I just stick a piece of masking tape or blue painters tape over the tip. They very seldom are plugged, and if they do plug I just nip off the very tip.

Saves allot of glue. I remember my first build. I spent more on CA than the plane. LOL.

OOPS, EDIT,....Forgot to add the link. Gettin old. LOL

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNXD4&P=7
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Last edited by tacx; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:31 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
I use tips like these. I stick them on a new bottle of CA and never take them off. When I'm done with gluing I just stick a piece of masking tape or blue painters tape over the tip. They very seldom are plugged, and if they do plug I just nip off the very tip.

Saves allot of glue. I remember my first build. I spent more on CA than the plane. LOL.
Good idea on the tape.....

Lol, I've cut so much off the end to keep it from clogging that I dump a ton of glue on whatever I need to glue.....gonna run out of a $11 bottle quick if I don't do something.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:32 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Got one side of the left wing done, flipped it over and pinned it to the board......as far as I got.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:43 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
MAJOR SCORE!

Went back home yesterday. Made a trip to my local HT and guess what I found? The engine mount I wanted; check out the price!!

This engine mount is regularly $50. Stoked!!

Got some glue tips, some gap-filling CA, a remote glow ignitor, and an engine mounting tool that lets you find the center of the engine mount holes.

Now I can start the fuse!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:19 PM
Central Illinois
Joined Aug 2003
76 Posts
The Hog Bipe is one of my favorites. I have built two of them and they were both alot of fun to fly. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed both of mine. I will really enjoy following along with your build.
ckangaroo70 is offline Find More Posts by ckangaroo70
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:55 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckangaroo70 View Post
The Hog Bipe is one of my favorites. I have built two of them and they were both alot of fun to fly. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed both of mine. I will really enjoy following along with your build.
Thanks, hope to get back on it soon to have more for you to follow.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:49 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Well, not so major score.....the engine mount price sticker said .50-.90, but the package reads up to .70 2 Stroke.....the engine mount won't hold the engine because it's not long enough to hold the engine and carb of the four stroke. The carb won't slide in between the mounting locations........back to square one.

I will do some research and see if the bolt patterns are the same for the larger mount; if so, I can at least use it for the firewall building and engine placement.

Got in from the long trip from home, unloaded the car, and crashed.....
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:46 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Got stuff done!

I made the servo trays in the lower wings. Instead of cutting the rails to the length of the openings between the te and le sheeting, I decided to wrap them under the te sheeting for some extra support. Here you can see how I shaped the rails; I just cut the upper nib off the length that it goes under the te and slid it under the te sheeting.

I also got the hatch covers down to size. I didn't add the servo mounts yet because I want to cover the hatch covers first.

After that, I got the wings all spackled up. Here's what I used, it's very lightweight and pretty easy to handle. It does get everywhere though........

That was done Tuesday night. Wednesday night I was able to get the wing halves sanded and the dihedral brace fit. I am now waiting on some slow cure epoxy, which I hope to get tonight.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:53 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
I took the paper tube advice (thanks tacx) and used part of the plan to do it.....relax, it was just a copy!

I cut two pieces of paper and wrapped them around the 7/16" brass tube I bought to drill out the top wing mounting holes. I used just enough to get a wrap and a half around the tube; I found that any more and it was harder to get through the holes in the ribs, because the paper wanted to unravel. Once I got them where I wanted them, I cut them down to where I thought was plenty running through the holes and then put a bit of CA to hold them firm.