to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:31 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
looking good!
Thanks Whiskykid; it's probably been every bit of 10 years since my last build, and I have forgotten how much fun it is. Tedious at times, but so rewarding when you see that whole box of sticks slowly come together......

I am very pleased with the Tbar, so much so that I am thinking of making a second smaller one.

I was able to find a small hand planer at a local Ace hardware; that helped with the sanding time. I just have to be careful with it, though, as I took a few small gouges out of the te sheeting. I'll be buying some filler today after work to get out the small imperfections.

I hope to get the top wing done and at least get started on the bottom wing tonight. Thanks for watching!
Bkndsdl is offline Find More Posts by Bkndsdl
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:58 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Well, no bottom wing got started. I took a break and watched a movie. After that I got the fwd part of one wingtip sheeted. I'll have plenty of time to work on it some tomorrow.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:09 PM
United States, IL, Cordova
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
You will love the bipe. Mine is awsome with a super tiger 60 in the nose but I am now upgrading to a magnum 91 4 stroke. Flaps are ok to play with in wind she will hang in a 8mph head wind with some flaps deployed. Heres a pic for some inspiration. She is now 6 years old!
mcsaplik is offline Find More Posts by mcsaplik
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:28 AM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsaplik View Post
You will love the bipe. Mine is awsome with a super tiger 60 in the nose but I am now upgrading to a magnum 91 4 stroke. Flaps are ok to play with in wind she will hang in a 8mph head wind with some flaps deployed. Heres a pic for some inspiration. She is now 6 years old!
I have been waiting to build this one for a while. Can't wait to get it in the air.

So you have dedicated flaps on yours, or are they ailerons mixed for flaps? Do you have 4 aileron servos or did you split the lowers for flaps?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
I have mixed flaps with ailerons on this one. I have 2 servoes in the wing. It dosent take much with all 4 going down at the same time. I think I have less then a 1/2 inch throw on mine. Anymore then that and the ailerons get soft and unresponsive. I tried to use them on landing one time and it was hard to make corections cause she slowed down way to much.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:54 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Aug 2011
522 Posts
This build has me itching to get my recently acquired Hog Bipe in the air. Powered by a new OS 91FX two stroke, it should have plenty of power !!! Hard to see, but yes, the pilot is a stuffed pig ! Here's mine, Shoo

shooboy is online now Find More Posts by shooboy
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:00 PM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Ok here yeah go after a nights worth of work she is airworthy again. I was going to retire her for a year or two but after seeing all the bipes I had to get her going again.

Sho that 91 will be awsome. I had one in this bipe for a while to break in. She definatley had more omph.
Last edited by mcsaplik; Jan 20, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:49 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
I have mixed flaps with ailerons on this one. I have 2 servoes in the wing. It dosent take much with all 4 going down at the same time. I think I have less then a 1/2 inch throw on mine. Anymore then that and the ailerons get soft and unresponsive. I tried to use them on landing one time and it was hard to make corections cause she slowed down way to much.
Awesome info, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooboy View Post
This build has me itching to get my recently acquired Hog Bipe in the air. Powered by a new OS 91FX two stroke, it should have plenty of power !!! Hard to see, but yes, the pilot is a stuffed pig ! Here's mine, Shoo
That is one nice pig, shoo!

Quote:
Ok here yeah go after a nights worth of work she is airworthy again. I was going to retire her for a year or two but after seeing all the bipes I had to get her going again.
Lol, glad you got her un-retired!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Last edited by ClosedAccount; Jun 16, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:27 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
I've had one of these boxed up in my plane room for about 10 months now...Been meaning to get started on it and this thread may just get me motivated to bust it out. I can't decide, though, if I want to build this or my SIG Demoiselle kit first.
Hog gets my vote, but I may be a bit biased.........
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:35 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Well, had a brief visit from the family this weekend so I didn't get much done on the plane until just a few minutes ago. I was able to get the top wing te center piece carved and shaped, and got the ailerons cut. I also got one aileron and wingtip matched up......pretty proud of this. Of course, anybody can make one, but not many can make two identical ones...........

Center piece made, ailerons cut and taped in place.

Aileron to wingtip transition. Like I said, to make an identical one is going to be the trick.

Pretty pleased with keeping the arc intact here; I hate bad transitions.

Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:44 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
This is by far the best tail mod I've seen on a hog yet......This is exactly how I want mine done.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:02 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,699 Posts
Nice.

Here is a tip.

Make a tube out of a piece of printer paper and run it thru your ribs from the center section to the servo bays. It makes pulling your servo leads thru the wing much easier later on. Also if you have to replace a servo.
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:41 PM
Mike from Alabama
Joined Sep 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Nice.

Here is a tip.

Make a tube out of a piece of printer paper and run it thru your ribs from the center section to the servo bays. It makes pulling your servo leads thru the wing much easier later on. Also if you have to replace a servo.
Thanks man, planned on it. I also make it a habit to add enough servo extension so as to be able to remove the servo without removing the entire servo lead / extension; basically leave the extra in the servo bay. That way I don't have to do the whole tie-string-between-the-leads thing to keep it from falling in the hole where I can't get to it.......