HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:51 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
well guys, she flew, would have flew nicely but for a bad servo...the last flight in the vid the CG was nailed the power was good, however when I started to turn only one servo wanted to function......
the result was a chewed intake, snapped off wing, and an end to the hopes of actually seeing this one fly...
I had noticed one servo "seemed" to lag now and again....but it wasnt prominent enough to make me think it was a problem...only saw it a few times and was just enough to make me think I was just imagining it...checking the wreckage I could clearly see the servo was still functioning, but at about a third the speed of the other, hence the snap roll while trying to do a slow turn...
well...third one's a charm eh?

I know it will fly, should fly good too. anyhow here is the video of the latest attempt

Joe

Harrier attempt next.wmv (0 min 56 sec)
sloperjoe is online now Find More Posts by sloperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:02 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Darn! That sucker was airborne for sure.... Your wife's input is priceless.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:23 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
that was my youngest daughter giving the commentary Dave
both daughters have a good time watching my experiments, sometimes it seems they take an overly morbid delight in watching the crashes

now that I've watched the video a few times I can see every time I try to use elevator to bring it level it tended to turn, when giving up elevator it wanted to bank left, when giving down elevator it wanted to go right, testing it now in the crunched airframe I can see the left elevator goes all the way up and the right elevator reaches full throw almost 2 seconds later. I have a batch of brand new servos and I'll test all of them and pick 2 "matching" for the next airframe. the motor/fan seems to have plenty of oomph to get it going, once its on step it should go pretty good
if all goes well, next Sunday should see another attempt
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:56 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I watched it again too and I see what you mean!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:38 PM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,308 Posts
Might have been a tad tail heavy? Elevator seemed twitchy? Hard to tell with all the other problems you were having
stegla is online now Find More Posts by stegla
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:59 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegla View Post
Might have been a tad tail heavy? Elevator seemed twitchy? Hard to tell with all the other problems you were having
nah, CG was good, servo bad...it only takes one bad servo with tailerons to make it un-flyable.

Joe
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
just an update,
I have another Harrier almost ready to go, and while starting to "disassemble" the crashed airframe I managed to get the wing popped off and removed the bad servo, I decided to install a fresh servo, build a new wing, and glue the intake chunk back on
so I will try to re-maiden #2 again tomorrow weather permitting, this way I can maiden "hopefully" while my daughter is home so she can do the video, and still have an unblemished airframe (#3) that I can transfer everything into.
so thats the plan, I already know it will fly....just need to prove "controlled flight"

Joe
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:20 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,293 Posts
Keep at it!!!
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:49 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
woohoo!

In a building comparison, I managed to shape a piece of balsa to fit around a fuse this week......
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:50 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Ahhhhhh. Found you hidin' in teeny land! Great project Joe!! Will bw watchin, the harrier is another cool one! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
Thanks Walt!
soon as my daughters fall outta bed we can go make the attempt
"should" go much better, she now has 2 perfectly matched servos, and I switched out the stock Art Tech 30mm for the Sky Angels 35mm motor/Art Tech fan hybred so it will have plenty of juice

Joe
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:57 PM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jul 2011
575 Posts
Ive became a big fan of that art tech 30mm EDF but i think its more like 32mm a 30mm rotor leaves a big gap. I want to try it with the stock motor and the 35mm 8blade aero rotor cutdown.

I would like to build the AV8b harrier all it would take is alittle bit of moding your plans if you dont mind?
chester2240 is offline Find More Posts by chester2240
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester2240 View Post
Ive became a big fan of that art tech 30mm EDF but i think its more like 32mm a 30mm rotor leaves a big gap. I want to try it with the stock motor and the 35mm 8blade aero rotor cutdown.

I would like to build the AV8b harrier all it would take is alittle bit of moding your plans if you dont mind?
knock yourself out chester, thats why they are here, for all to use, abuse, build, modify, enlarge, shrink, anything but commercial use is cool with me
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
hurumph.....it started raining at about 10:00 this morning....not hard, but hard enough that so far has put the kibosh on my plan for maiden
still have about a 2 hour window for light left, but it aint lookin too good, might have to wait till tomorrow....or...next dry opportunity

Joe
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
bad news fellas,
she flew....in the sense that it went in the air....I was able to keep it in the air going straight ahead....seemed to have plenty of power but would just start slowing and settling back to the ground, I could also get it to turn "ok" but had to be real careful cause it definitely wants to roll over easily even with the rates dialed down, even then I was only able to get half a lap before she settled to the ground....
so...I think the wing area is ok, the aspect ratio is not so pretty good, and just barely enough power to overcome the drag...lotta drag on this one. hate to say it but I think I'll throw in the towel on this one, cant seem to get any semblance of descent control going, way twitchy on the roll, the power issue I can deal with but even then I think I would be hard pressed to get it flying...oh I did snap the wing off again on the final try...
then....when I got home I dropped my TX....it landed gimbals side down....busted them right out of their bases, un-repairable...
I'll order a new one today..... thats my day so far

Joe