Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:10 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Joe---Do you just visualize these planes and build them or what???......VERY good job and thanks for posting your designs...What thickness Depron do you use???

Kevin
thanks Kevin,
yeah pretty much visualize what I want to do and approximate the size and wing area with an eye to fan shroud size. I have found once a good airframe is made to fly I can usually follow the same size parameters to build others.
the foam I use is just Dollar Tree "Ready Board" foam board with the paper peeled off, very lite stuff, it is 5mm thick after de-papering. I love it, havent used depron since finding out about this stuff, its a Dollar for a 20" X 30"sheet, I usually buy 10-12 sheets at a time that much depron would probably be $50-$75 depending on where you get it with shipping.

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
forgot to add, I have the fan/servos/Rx installed and I think this thing has enough poop to fly on 2s so thats what I'll do the first flight on...at least I "think" it "should" do it

colder than out here right now, so cant say when the maiden will be, if it warms up some hopefully maybe tomorrow

Joe
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:37 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
forgot to add, I have the fan/servos/Rx installed and I think this thing has enough poop to fly on 2s so thats what I'll do the first flight on...at least I "think" it "should" do it

colder than out here right now, so cant say when the maiden will be, if it warms up some hopefully maybe tomorrow

Joe
Weird weather---73* here today---Record high temps but calling for snow in 1 1/2 days...

THANKS for the heads up on the Dollar Tree foam!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:16 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,721 Posts
Joe, this is just and amazing job on a jet that is hard to duplicate. The Mig and the Saber were very nice, but you`ve knocked the ball out of the park with this one!! I better see some paint on this beauty.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:06 AM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Joe, this is just and amazing job on a jet that is hard to duplicate. The Mig and the Saber were very nice, but you`ve knocked the ball out of the park with this one!! I better see some paint on this beauty.
thanks Lee!

might spend the next day painting it, all depends on the weather...if it warms up I would like to maiden it before paint, either way I should have "something" new to post tomorrow

Joe
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
well, it was c c c c ooooldd outside today...but I did attempt a maiden, definitely enough power even on just 2s, unfortunately during glue-up of the fuse I messed up the tail incidence....with the balance just right it wants to nose dive, even moving the batts way back it would mush then turn nose down, luckily the damage isnt to big of a deal, and hopefully I will get it repaired and get the tail re-oriented to the correct angel which should be zero degrees....then I'll give her another go.
it did fly straight ahead so at least that part is stable
so stay tuned I'll get er, even if I gotta build another

good thing I didnt paint this one yet

Joe
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:48 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
When I now go back and look at the tail surface in the photo's, it does seem to have way too much incidence.

Sucker got airborne? Good enough first flight for me Joe! LOL )
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
When I now go back and look at the tail surface in the photo's, it does seem to have way too much incidence.

Sucker got airborne? Good enough first flight for me Joe! LOL )

confirmed tail incidence problem, I analyzed my plans and build sequence and concluded I should have done the bottom planking in three sections instead of one big slab, apparently the pull of the stressed foam bottom pulled the tail boom down and out of alignment, so... I will build another one and correct my build method.

yep, it did get airborne, seemed to have plenty of poop to fly, and it did go nice and straight, just no pitch control....touch the elevator and down she would go, moved the CG well back from where I know it should've been and still, even tail heavy doin the tail wag, push down a touch on the elevator and instantly it would head straight for the grass. so even though the maiden wasnt perfect I am sure I can get the next one flying

Joe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Jan 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
have all the new parts layed out and should have them cut, laminated, and the shaping started by tonight
decided to go with a 2 layer verticle stab on this one to help keep the tail incidence correct. should have version #2 ready for a weekend maiden if the weather cooperates, was snowing...now its like freezing rain....temps have been in the very low 20's and teens at night..... B B b bbbrrrrrrrr..

Joe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Jan 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:17 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Funny how you are freezing over there and I am sweating over here with an expected temp of 110 tomorrow.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:28 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Funny how you are freezing over there and I am sweating over here with an expected temp of 110 tomorrow.
75* here 3 days ago with floods (6" of rain) and now we are under an ice storm warning for up to 1/2" of ice......Emergency management just became activated......What I would give for 85* and sunny skies!!!......

Great job Joe on the Harrier!!!...Looking forward to the vids of your flights...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:24 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,946 Posts
Kevin-- What region are you in? That's crazy weather.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Props
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
holly smokes Dave...I dont mind warm weather but 110 is a bit toooooo warm

Joe
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:21 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
I know, and 116 forecast for today.... I think most of us will hide indoors if we can.