HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:17 AM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Discussion
Gonna charge up some six year old lipos

I got out of the hobby about 5 years ago, but came to my senses and am building up a slow stick. I have about 15 lipos that were about a year old when I got out in 2008. I stored them a few years at half charge in the fridge, but since then they have been in various places. I figured they were goners, but a 800mah enerland just charged up fine on my Thunder Power TP-1010C. A couple of the others are puffy. I'm charging them in the middle of the back yard with the battery in an ammo box (top not sealed but laid loosely on).

How will I know if they are OK? Guess I'll just try them....

BTW, the TP can do CC or CV, but I don't know how to control it. Anybody know? And should I just go with the default CC?

Jim
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:26 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,326 Posts
Hi!

Charge them slowly and balance them in the beginning. If they are not puffy, check if they still can deliver the current needed for your application.

A normal Lixx charge algorithm is CC/CV, not sure what your chargers functionality is...
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:33 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Wow, they seem to be charging up just fine. I always heard over 2 years old, throw them away. This is great if they work. I'll try doing the puffy ones later today when I can watch closely. But I don't know if I should keep them.
Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:54 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,057 Posts
The puffed ones are prob shot.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:08 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Charging the big puffy one now, a 2200 mah enerland 3S.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:09 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
One of the 800mah 3S is not puffy but it has a bunch of blue-greenish-whitish gunk all over the Dean's connector. Is this not a good thing?

Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:15 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Hi!

A normal Lixx charge algorithm is CC/CV, not sure what your chargers functionality is...
Julez, what do you mean by this? Chargers like mine usually do CC then switch to CV? It talks about both but there is no setting in the menu sequence to pick one or the other?

It does say in the manual that in CV mode the amps can ramp down. In CC mode the voltage varies and you can select that, from .25 amps to 125% of 1C.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:31 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,851 Posts
Batteries are cheap, I would dispose of the "big puffy one" and just buy another battery.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Batteries are cheap, I would dispose of the "big puffy one" and just buy another battery.
Well to some they are cheap, to others who have less money not so much. But in either case they are cheaper then an airplane!
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:10 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,154 Posts
Perhaps I missed it but do they have balance taps and did you perform a balance charge?
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:14 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Well to some they are cheap, to others who have less money not so much. But in either case they are cheaper then an airplane!
No 6-year old "big puffy battery" is worth the risk of setting one's airplane (or house) on fire. With the proliferation of cheap batteries from overseas dealers, batteries have become more affordable for almost any modeler, regardless of budget.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Hm, the puffy one acts as though it charged up fine, no fire, but it's scary looking, I'll reap the connectors and toss it and the other puffy one. I'll need to look up how to properly dispose of these. But I hope all the others are OK, I'm kinda scared of them too thought they look fine. Yes, I was balance charging them with the TP-210V balancer.
Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:28 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
One of the 800mah 3S is not puffy but it has a bunch of blue-greenish-whitish gunk all over the Dean's connector. Is this not a good thing?

Jim
Sounds like corrosion from moisture and battery voltage; they don't play well together.

I would use them on the ground, not in the air, until you know you get the power you want/need and the run time too.
I would toss the puffy packs.
I would then replace any connector on any pack that survived your testing as any with corrosion will have a short life, maybe cause you to fall out of the sky from an OPEN connection.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:38 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,122 Posts
Car , Truck & tank crashes are usually not in a field of dry burning grass hundreds of feet away with no fire fighting equipment. Swap with some car guys...............Never mind that. They sometimes run those packs hard & below empty.

Save some Aluminum cans for newer batteries.

Good Luck
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:29 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Heh, yeah, well it hasn't come to aluminum cans yet thankfully.

Thanks all.

Jim
RCG Plus Member