HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:55 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Vixen landing at the F3J in the Desert 2013
Copy of Vixen at the F3J in the desert 2013 (0 min 54 sec)
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Feb 25, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:41 PM
Sailplane Flyer
Berthoud CO
Joined Oct 2007
367 Posts
Vixen Performance

Quote:
Vixen performance: I let a bunch of people fly her on Friday afternoon. I'd rather let them comment if they're out there.
I was one of those guys that got a chance to fly the Vixen

In short this one is a real winner. Its handling is outstanding, increadible float and it can really move when needed. The cruise L/D looks very good. I got to spend about 10 minutes with it in the late afternoon which was perfect time to get a sense of the performance. It is very easy to fly with absolutely no bad habbits.

I guess I said it, but it is worth it one more time - this one's a really winner.

Great design, great quality manufacturing!
mikeverzuh is offline Find More Posts by mikeverzuh
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:52 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Thanks for posting Mike. I'm guessing the other guys are bashful and are being discreet about their experiences with my lil Vixen.

Sorry guys, weather here hasn't been conducive to getting the model out of the box since Phoenix. So no new videos.

I can give some set up and CG data for those who are receiving their kits about now.

Monster disclaimer: If you guys don't follow my instructions to the T, your Vixen will be a real b!ch!!! She's actually quite well behaved, she just requires proper set up, technique and handling. And... a few kind words always go a long way....
  • CG - 110-112mm from LE.
  • Towhook - directly below that.
  • Cruise - line up the aileron at the tip
  • Thermal - 3 degrees
  • Reflex/Speed - -1 to -2 degrees. -2 degrees for Zoom
  • Launch - +15 degrees (ish)

You've seen the video for roll control. USE the entire trailing edge for roll as in the video in all flight modes. I haven't measured it, but optimum is probably about 40%/75%/100%. When you get this right, you will be amazed how well the model tracks with small amounts of diff and very little rudder coupling.

VERY fun toy. Thanks Jiri!!!

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Ok, so after J in the Desert, I needed a more user friendly landing program. I completely modified my landing program yesterday. I took some inboard flap throw out of it, but made the deflection more linear. I'm still getting used to the timing again, but I think a step in the right direction. .

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0IofQU8jvYA

Neal got me this time. He's only been flying that Supra for 47 years or something...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:32 PM
NSH
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
Yep, but you have been flying for 147 years

Neal
NSH is online now Find More Posts by NSH
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:18 AM
Joined Aug 2007
8 Posts
Vixen

I guess DP has talked me into it. Have ordered one.
Guys what servos are you using for the wings. I've heard you mention 809's but what and where are they to be found?
I'm in Australia and wonder if some other Brand of servo would do.

Regards from Aussie
Garry
Garry Whitfield is offline Find More Posts by Garry Whitfield
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:04 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
644 Posts
Airtronics in USA = Sanwa in the rest of the world. The 809 are the last 3 digits of a servo with about 45 oz/in of torque and about 10 mm thickness. Weight is I think 10 or 12 g.
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:11 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Whitfield View Post
Guys what servos are you using for the wings. I've heard you mention 809's but what and where are they to be found?

Regards from Aussie
Garry
You might be able to get the hyperion ds11-amb more easily.

Or from Hong Kong:
http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?id=180
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Last edited by satinet; Mar 30, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:41 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
907 Posts
Garry, Tower Hobbies carries them for $50 a pop.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYZW3&P=SM

Les.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:12 PM
mmmmm....BEER
Launceston, Tasmania
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Whitfield View Post

Regards from Aussie
Garry
Go Gaz. Can't wait to see it at Jerilderie!
Boagy is offline Find More Posts by Boagy
Old Apr 05, 2013, 01:40 AM
Alan
South Africa
Joined Sep 2006
22 Posts
Wow this is one sexy plane ! I got to look at one two nights ago and I mite start J again :-) you are the man DP

Al
Alan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Alan Smith
Old Apr 05, 2013, 09:03 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Hey Alan, nice to hear from you. How are ya man?

Glad you like it. It flies as good as it looks.
Old Apr 07, 2013, 03:24 PM
Alan
South Africa
Joined Sep 2006
22 Posts
Hi DP We are all good , Ive started to save for my Vixen
Alan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Alan Smith
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:40 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Ok, time to resurrect the thread. Some of you are receiving your Vixens directly from Jiri. I spent some time this weekend reprogramming mine to my new Futaba 18MZ radio, so I've got things to mention with regards to set up.

CG- 110-112. you'll be unhappy much behind 112. You'll also be unhappy much in front of 110. It's an EASY plane to fly, no bad habits, quite floaty. Set up can be tricky - but once it's right, it's the best tracking sailplane I've ever flown.

You will not need much throw on the ruddervators in either direction. I hedge the servo arms so I can get significantly more down throw for Kapow mix. You'll want as much as you can get without binding. But not for normal flight, just for the landing kapow mode.

You will not need much rudder coupling if you've set the wing up right. Again, refer to my video, the entire TE working as an aileron to induce roll efficiently.

I don't want to recommend throws, as mine is too hot for most of you. I actually reduced my roll control yesterday. I had it set too hot on the new radio.

My lightweight Vixen (the 60 ouncer) has now been reduced another 2 ounces thanks to Joe Wydronek. He's got a build thread on here somewhere. Anyway, he and I talked, and he did me a wiring harness with some lighter gauge wire, and common pos/neg wires. Dropped my wire weight from 3 ounces down to 1. I highly recommend ordering a set. Not only does it save weight, but it's a HUGE time saver in the build.

That's all for now... gotta work.

D
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:51 AM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Here is my link everyone. The wiring harness will cost you $60 which is a fair price. I spent a week working out the numbers for it and testing it to ensure Daryl would not have a failure due to my product.

Thanks
Joe

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1804766
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Last edited by J. Wydronek; Apr 27, 2013 at 09:28 AM.