SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
What's the dihedral breaks?

I'm in Dulles Thursday & Friday. Trade a flight in a proline 21 Kingair for flight on the vixen

Seems fair right?
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:40 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliwill10 View Post
What's the dihedral breaks?

I'm in Dulles Thursday & Friday. Trade a flight in a proline 21 Kingair for flight on the vixen

Seems fair right?
Maybe... You buy the beer?

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:59 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,368 Posts
Had a great day of flying yesterday. It was uncharacteristically warm for Virginia. It looked like it would be my only opportunity to fly my repaired Vixen before leaving for Phoenix. Soooo.... blasted out of work early. Got to the field, Neil was already there (as usual). His winch was set out and he was skied out. I put my plane together and gave it a trim toss hand chuck. I wasn't paying any attention to the air. I don't have the arm I used to have and the shape of the Vixen fuse makes it hard to hand chuck with energy. Started my turn to come around and grab it, but it was maintaining energy. So I kept going around. Climbed out, got bored... buzzed around retrimming each flight mode. purposely getting low and going back out over and over. I hadn't even set up my landing spot yet so I had to use Neil's. Came in to check glide path... Oops. That was off. Landed on the 99. Made a couple quick flap>ele changes and tossed it again. This time into real strong air. Out we went again. This thing is so much fun to fly.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:07 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
Great report, DP.
Glad you are loving it.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:15 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
Maidened my Vixen today. Stupendous is my word for this beauty. Mine is not a feather, but at 72 oz. she ain't a brick either. I had it pretty well programmed in my back yard, and only had a few small tweeks to make at the field to get the trims sorted. Then it was all about the soaring. It was a great day. Strong tall thermals, with some pretty good sink in between. Since owning my first Sharon, I have always looked for legs, long legs in a glider. A low sink rate is the perfect complement to long legs. The Vixen did not dissapoint.

I only had about 2 hours to fly today, so it was about dialing the handling..which as I mentioned was pretty close off the bench. I shot a few approaches, but since I was worried about not having enough down elevator to poke it on the spot, I cranked up the throws in landing mode. It was a bit hot so with what I would call a very twitchy elevator, I had my hands full trying to maintain a smooth glide slope. That will be easily fixed, and I am anticipating that the Vixen will be deadly in the landing circle.

Sorry, no pics, I just didn't have the time. More sessions to come with some video to boot.

I have been saying lately to anyone that asks me about what glider to buy, that if you like the looks of it, then get it. They are all so dang good, it really only matters that you just love what you are flying. With this model, as soon as I saw some of Daryl's renderings, I said I wanted one. Didn't even matter at the time that it hadn't even been prototyped yet. I just wanted it and would make it work. I hoped it would not be too tough make work, and well, it wasn't..or isn't. Its sexy, and athletic, and graceful. Oh, and it is oh so floaty.

Thanks Bob, and Daryl, this thing flies as good as it looks.

Cheers,

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:18 AM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
309 Posts
Vixen

I thought DP's prototype Vixen came in at 60 oz and now this Vixen is at 72 oz. I've heard that DP flies with a very aft CG but I'm not sure if that accounts for 12 oz.
WazUp?
Mart
mrfski is online now Find More Posts by mrfski
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:13 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,241 Posts
Daryl explains:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
ADS-initial discussions had the price at 2295, but I'm not sure if that is final. Bob doesn't have any images or data to put up yet.

Specs on the wing- 3.7 meters.
Sections- as with everything nowadays, modified everything and optimized for each span position. Modified JW section at the root, transitions quite quickly to modified Drela sections.
My guess for an AUW for initial production versions will be 65-68 oz: servo/CG/builder dependent.

I've got quite a bit of time on the first prototype. Being the first proto, it's heavier than the production versions will be. It's right at 73.5 ounces. The performance impresses even me. The sink rate is amazing. It's much floatier than I expected. It slows to a crawl for landing. Partly due to the section choices, and partly due to the increased usable flap span. I'm still learning it, but the plane gets better every time I fly it.

On the one I'm building now, (testing a lighter construction) I'm working hard to keep the weight down. I think 58 oz is possible, nose weight dependent. I need lighter wires... I added more weight in wire than servos in the wings...

Servo install pics to follow this eve.

D
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:25 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
Mart, its still early in the production refinement process... Thats whatsup!

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,368 Posts
Mart, I too was surprised that Mike's Vixen is a little husky. Then he shared his servo choice with me, and he's carrying 2 1/2 - 3 oz in excess servo weight alone. (Compared to my choice of 809's)

And he's right also, his was an early rendition. And my 60 ouncer hasn't received the "Daryl proof" seal of approval just yet.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:27 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,608 Posts
Daryl

Good luck to you and Neal at the Southwest classic and J in the desert!
Neal needs a Vixen too!

Best,
Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,368 Posts
Thanks Reto! And Neil doesn't need that kinda help! Actually, I made some servo arm and programming changes on that one that I can't get back... The darn thing isn't set up now. We were hoping to dial it in today. Too windy. Maybe we'll get some time tomorrow afternoon.

Neil's flying real well. Glad he's on my team!

D
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:10 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,608 Posts
Yes, Neal is a stud, just like you Daryl!

If he is on your team, then he can only hurt you in the fly off, so from a strategy point of view, you should let him fly that Vixen in the prelims! Just kidding, I know Neal often reads here and I send him some teasing that way.

Have fun and kick some butt.

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,368 Posts
Back home from J in the Desert and from the SWC. Had a blast! I flew incredibly well, and landed incredibly poorly. Sometimes dead on, and sometimes... well, yeah... not so much. Certainly not the model's fault. It was the Vixen's first outing in a full contest environment. I have to say, I was quite impressed with the performance. My little Vixen and I were able to manage a 3rd place finish in the SWC landing about as poorly as I can remember. The high winds and about 2.5 pounds of ballast allowed me to scratch and claw my way back up the leader board.

Vixen performance: I let a bunch of people fly her on Friday afternoon. I'd rather let them comment if they're out there.

Thanks to all who commented on the plane. Your kind words are always appreciated.

D
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:58 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,345 Posts
Sharing your Vixen, this is the very definition of a Good Guy!!

Sorry I missed a shot at taking the sticks!! ALthough I might have burst into flames with a non-Futaba RX in my hands!!

See you soon I hope!!
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:47 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
Vixen launch at the F3J in the Desert 2013
Launching the Vixen at the F3J in the desert 2013 (0 min 51 sec)
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Feb 25, 2013 at 06:27 PM.