SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:12 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
Probably the channel 5 switch will control the Virtual Instructor in that case...at least that'd be my guess....
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:17 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Mar 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Oh, and yes the DX5e will work fine. The DX5e and DX4e have the exact same number of channels and functionality.
They do? I thought the DX4 had 4 channels and the DX5, 5. Please explain...
w1indse7 is offline Find More Posts by w1indse7
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:13 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,288 Posts
DX4e has a switch labeled "ACT/AUX." This is the same as the "CH 5" switch on the DX5e.

Both have dual rate switches.

DX5e has a spring-loaded switch for trainer/bind, while the DX4e has a spring-loaded button for the same functions.

If you count the trainer/bind button/switch as 1/2 a channel, then you could say both are 5 1/2 channel transmitters.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
Told you so...!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:08 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
Methinks Dave is dodging the question about a PNP or BNF version. LOL!! Sure would be nice to fly this plane with my trusty DX7s though!!!!
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:10 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
i would like to know the answer to that question also
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
I am honestly thinking that, given Dave's answers, that this plane is NOT like the HZ Firebird Stratos and will bind to almost any Spektrum TX aside from those included with the micro planes. It would be nice to know.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:28 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Mar 2012
97 Posts
Thank you for explaining that Dave!
w1indse7 is offline Find More Posts by w1indse7
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:47 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,288 Posts
chucksolo69,

The Glasair Sportsman comes with a DX4e, which is a DSM2/DSMX transmitter. The VI functions live in the receiver. This means you can use any full-range Bind-N-Fly transmitter with the Glasair Sportsman. See http://bindnfly.com/CompatibleProducts/

At this time we have no plans for a BNF version.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
Heck,

Send me your DX4e if you don't want it after you buy the Glasair Chuck; I'm always looking for back-up boxes...the more the merrier !

Of course, one way to look at it, is if you buy the Sportsman RTF, and fly it with your favorite DX6i, you can use the DX4e as a buddy box and help a friend learn to fly....see, I just solved your problem ! And in reality, all kidding aside, that's a really good way to go and gets more people into the hobby...

No really, don't thank me, that's why I'm here....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
Well, thanks, but no thanks. That's the problem I have with this plane at that price point. I personally don't want to spend the money if it includes an unwanted TX. Too bad too, looks like a nice flying plane.

Isn't that kind of against the reason this plane exists though, when this plane is being touted as a "teach yourself to fly" type of plane? Why on earth buddy box this thing? When Horizon Hobby brought out the Firebird Stratos, I jumped on it and it indeed, along with the Champ, taught me how to fly. Now comes this plane, at twice the price of the FB Stratos. I guess I just don't get the logic when all you have to do to make it BNF is omit the outdated DX4e. Oh well, I'll pass this one by. Thanks for the info Dave.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:53 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Can we combine these two Glasair threads?

Is there a way someone could combine these two Glasair Sportsman threads? It's frustrating to post a question or a message on one then find out that subject had already been discussed and resolved on the other thread.

As I understand it, Chuck set up this thread so he could show the unboxing, and maiden flight of the Glasair. He has done that and has returned the Glasair so I don1't think he will be posting any new videos soon. So how about closing this thread and adding a BOLD notice on the other thread informing readers to be sure and read this thread?

Then we could all continue on the other thread.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:38 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
Is there a way someone could combine these two Glasair Sportsman threads? It's frustrating to post a question or a message on one then find out that subject had already been discussed and resolved on the other thread.

As I understand it, Chuck set up this thread so he could show the unboxing, and maiden flight of the Glasair. He has done that and has returned the Glasair so I don1't think he will be posting any new videos soon. So how about closing this thread and adding a BOLD notice on the other thread informing readers to be sure and read this thread?

Then we could all continue on the other thread.
i didn't start this thread for the reason you mention above, here's the first post

Quote:
Hi all, i know this is aimed more at the learner, but i thought i'd start a thread in here too, because what a great scale park flyer this plane looks

Modelflight.com are already on the ball with Mike giving you a good look at it

cheers chuck
your the first that has asked for this one to be closed, which if thats what everyone really wants i will, but this thread is for the person who might like this plane because its pretty scale or it's a park flyer

i just had a look and this thread looks heaps more active with people that know how to fly not many people who have never flown.

i think theres room for both as people who already fly are unlikely to go looking in the learners section for this if they are after a scale parkflyer size plane, but! as said if the majority of people want this closed, i'll close it!

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
This thread is fine Chuck, no need to close it as I agree with your reasoning, JMO....

fotoflyer, to avoid confusion, just subscribe to them and check them periodically...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:19 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
i didn't start this thread for the reason you mention above, here's the first post

your the first that has asked for this one to be closed, which if thats what everyone really wants i will, but this thread is for the person who might like this plane because its pretty scale or it's a park flyer

i just had a look and this thread looks heaps more active with people that know how to fly not many people who have never flown.

i think theres room for both as people who already fly are unlikely to go looking in the learners section for this if they are after a scale parkflyer size plane, but! as said if the majority of people want this closed, i'll close it!

cheers chuck
OK, obviously if I'm the only one wanting these two threads combined, I'll withdraw my request. As justwingit said, I'll just have to keep checking both of them.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer