HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:45 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
It looks even better in person...

Great video Chuck! Once again, thanks for doing all the great reviews for us....can't wait to see this one sitting on my LHS's shelf

Cheers,
John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:08 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
here is the battery bay with an 1800 & 2200mAh battery

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:24 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
Have you flown it in that config. yet?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Have you flown it in that config. yet?
Naa i just flew it stock, i took those photos as i was disassembling the Glasair ready to go back to omp tomorrow. Though people might be interested but forgot to mention/show in the videos.

personally i think you wouldn't want to add all that weight to this aircraft, it flys well with the 1300 the 1800 would be the max i'd go!

cheers chuck
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:42 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
chuck would you say that someone with experience with a beginner plane like a super cub or slow stick or easy star etc. this plane would be a nice step up?
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:50 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
chuck would you say that someone with experience with a beginner plane like a super cub or slow stick or easy star etc. this plane would be a nice step up?
For sure this is a great first aileron trainer plane and it looks cool while your learning as you would of seen in the video very very hard to get it to drop a wing

i'd say go for it

cheers chuck
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:34 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,288 Posts
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, Chuck, but I have to disagree with your assessment. The Sportsman was intended and developed for someone as their very first rc model, no prior experience and no help from an instructor required. In fact, that's the foundation of HobbyZone; all HobbyZone aircraft are intended to enable prospective pilots to teach themselves to fly.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:02 AM
Winter is coming.
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, Chuck, but I have to disagree with your assessment. The Sportsman was intended and developed for someone as their very first rc model, no prior experience and no help from an instructor required. In fact, that's the foundation of HobbyZone; all HobbyZone aircraft are intended to enable prospective pilots to teach themselves to fly.
Dave. So this would be a good next step from the Champ? I have time in on it, and a simulator 4 channel.

I've been waiting for this to come out, and it looks pretty nice from Chucks review.

Quick question, would my DX5 work just as well with this model, and the virtual instructor?

Thanks.
JerryT87 is offline Find More Posts by JerryT87
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:33 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
Quote:
thats cool Dave, i just didn't want to tell someone yes you can fly this plane then "IF" they crash, have them say i told them they could fly it! after all the plane does not fly itself

Personally i'd learn with the Hobbyzone Champ, then move to this plane

BUT! it is a very easy stable platform to fly and i'm sure many will learn to fly with it

cheers chuck
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:23 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryT87 View Post
Dave. So this would be a good next step from the Champ? I have time in on it, and a simulator 4 channel.

I've been waiting for this to come out, and it looks pretty nice from Chucks review.

Quick question, would my DX5 work just as well with this model, and the virtual instructor?

Thanks.
Yes, it would be a fine next step after the Champ, but as I described above the Sportsman is perfectly fine as a very first airplane.

You will note that even though the Champ and Super Cub are teach-yourself-to-fly trainers, they also have strong followings among experienced pilots due to their great handling qualities. We expect the Glasair Sportsman will also develop its own following among experienced flyers. It's a very nice-flying airplane!
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:26 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,288 Posts
Oh, and yes the DX5e will work fine. The DX5e and DX4e have the exact same number of channels and functionality.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:28 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
Dave, the Glasair is indeed an intriguing plane, but for those of us who already have a nice radio, I have the Spektrum DX7s, are there any plans to make this a BNF or PNP plane? The only thing that prevents me buying this is the RTF model only. I really don't want the TX that comes with the plane.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
I've gotta agree with Dave here,

Even though I have logged numerous hours in the PZ T-28, Wildcat, and Durafly Skyraider, (I've flown all three this weekend for at least another 45 mins apiece) it's still just plain ol' fashioned fun to put the Super Cub up and throw her around on high rates and full control surface deflection! (I have my control horns all set on the innermost holes) I've been flying mine for over a year and I smile every time I fly it....

I suspect the Glasair Sportsman will be the same way, at least for me. It takes the same batteries as the Super Cub, it's four-channel, brushless and looks to be completely predictable and relaxing to fly. I would imagine experienced pilots will enjoy this offering as well just to have a nice Sunday flyer.

Cheers all,
John
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Feb 03, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:45 PM
Winter is coming.
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Oh, and yes the DX5e will work fine. The DX5e and DX4e have the exact same number of channels and functionality.
Sweet, thanks. Looks like a winner to me.
JerryT87 is offline Find More Posts by JerryT87
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:08 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but will you be able to control the three operating levels of the Virtual Instructor? The Spektrum DX4e comes with two extra switches, giving the pilot the ability to select any of the three levels of VI assistance as well as turning it off.

The DX5e has one CH 5 switch and a hi/lo rate switch. Can you use these two switches to do the same functions as the two switches on the DX4e? I'm thinking, no.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer