HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:57 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,412 Posts
New Product
Hobbyzone Glasair Sportsman RC Plane, 4ch RTF

Hi all, i know this is aimed more at the learner, but i thought i'd start a thread in here too, because what a great scale park flyer this plane looks

Modelflight.com are already on the ball with Mike giving you a good look at it

cheers chuck

HobbyZone Glasair Sportsman Preview (3 min 16 sec)

The HobbyZone® Glasair® Sportsman® airplane is a 4-channel model that anyone can learn to fly. Even if you've never been at the controls of an RC model before, smooth control and assistance provided by its sophisticated electronics makes RC flight simple and fun. Champion pilot Mike McConville designed the Sportsman to be beginner-friendly, which means its extra tough so that you can keep flying longer. Plus it is loaded with other great features that make it an outstanding first plane.

Specs list for HBZ7600
Wingspan 54.6 inch (1390mm)
Overall Length 35.5 inche (905mm)
Flying Weight 33.5 oz (950 g)
Motor Size 480 size BL
Radio 4 channel (DX4E TX is included)
Prop Size 9 x 6
Speed Control 18A (installed)
Recommended Battery 3S 11.1V 1300mAh LiPo (included)
Charger DC powered balancing 3S
Landing Gear Yes
Experience Level Beginner

ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:39 PM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Like it...except for the rubber bands. I know...I know...they have a purpose, but purely for an appearance sake it spoils the look.

'just my two cents worth...
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:58 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
Any guess as to when it will be available? I'm ready to move up to 4ch and this plane looks like the perfect one for the job. I have the FlyZone Firebird Stratos and I really like the way the Virtual Instructor works on it. But it only has one version of VI and to switch between on and off requires a rather complex procedure, which can only be done when the plane is in the ground. Whereas this Glasair Sportsman has 4 modes of operation which can all be switched while the plane is flying.

Are there any test flights available on the Internet yet?

It impressed me so much that I went ahead and placed one on pre-order with Horizon Hobby today.

Gus.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:50 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,880 Posts
Just a correction, the FB Stratos is a Hobbyzone model from Horizon Hobby. Flyzone is a brand marketed by Hobbico Inc. But yes, this new model does look intriguing for the first time 4 channel pilot. I think Horizon Hobby had to come out with a model to compete with the new Ares Gamma 370 Pro. Pricing is gonna be everything on this model though.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:51 AM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
84 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks to Mike for doing that video! Just a couple of points on the new Glasair Sportsman. While it is a great model for those moving up from a 3 channel trainer like the Stratos or Champ, it is also very much suitable as a very first, teach yourself to fly, trainer.
While the typical aileron equiped trainer was best suited for learning with an instructor, the 2-Axis (not 3 btw) stabilization of Virtual Instructor make the Sportsman handle as easy as a 3 channel model. The system has tons of features to make the model turn with only an aileron input, keep it from getting upsidedown or in a death spiral. Much like AS3X, the system is tuned so its not something that can be felt or detected in normal flight. You really dont feel it until you need it.
The training features of the system can also be turned off with the flip of a switch on the Spektrum DX4e tx so you can flip back and forth.

We should have the first video on line this afternoon on HH.com, so take a look. HBZ7600 is the part number.
I'm really excited about this model. Been a few years in development and I think we're really got something here that is revolutionary. Its such a nice flying model, that even I enjoy taking it out and playing with it..shooting landing are just fun! It lands sooooo nice.
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Last edited by mmcconville; Jan 11, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:19 PM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
84 Posts
Here is a link to our first video for the model.

HobbyZone Glasair Sportsman RC Trainer (2 min 23 sec)
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:46 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Just a correction, the FB Stratos is a Hobbyzone model from Horizon Hobby. Flyzone is a brand marketed by Hobbico Inc. But yes, this new model does look intriguing for the first time 4 channel pilot. I think Horizon Hobby had to come out with a model to compete with the new Ares Gamma 370 Pro. Pricing is gonna be everything on this model though.
Thanks for pointing out my error - I got my zones mixed up, sorry!

I have a flying buddy who bought the Ares 370 to learn how to fly ailerons. He is not progressing well at all. He has only soloed it a few times and the flights have been sort of out of control. It appears like he is "chasing" the plane trying to keep it in the air rather than piloting it. Most of his flights are with another pilot on a buddy box connection.

The Ares, of course, does not have any axis stabilization nor does it have any virtual instructor features. Personally, I think it's a decent looking plane, but I think it's too small. To go from a Super Cub to the Ares seems like a step down. Another thing that bothers me is that even though Hobbytown just came out with plane, it comes with the old technology brushed motor and ESC and NO ailerons. To upgrade to a brushless motor and ailerons you have to pay for both of these upgrades. If it's a brand new plane, why isn't it brushless now?

I haven't tried to compare the pricing of these two planes, but I'm willing to pay a LOT more for the Glasair Sportsman to not only get a much larger plane but also get the latest VI and axis stabilization features.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:54 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,638 Posts
This thing's gonna be a winner!

Just back from the AMA Expo and Convention in Ontario, California.

Guess what I happened to lay eyes on down there ?

Besides meeting the wonderful folks from Horizon Hobby like John Redman, Eric Johnson and Dave Eichstedt, I saw and somewhat fondled (it was attached to a pedastal ) the new Glasair Sportsman!

I spoke with Eric about the new model and Dave spent a great while fielding my questions about it and basically giving me a rundown of the aircraft and all the new technology contained therein.

This is a cutting-edge, 54 inch Wingspan, 480 BL powered, four channel model aimed at the beginner. Running on the same 1300 Lipo you would find in the Super Cub, (or Wildcat, for that matter) it's a natural progression to go from the SC to this. But, given the Glasair's advanced technology, similar to AS3X, you can be a beginner and do just fine with this model. Amazing.

This plane looks really, really good in person. I personally like the tri-cycle gear; much easier to learn on than a tail-dragger. Also, the finish is typical Horizon Hobby EPO and very, very nice. The only thing, and I mean only thing, that seemed a little dodgy to me was the landing gear, but I'm sure it'll be stout enough to handle anything a beginner could dish-out to it. I told Dave (and Eric) I fly from a pretty close-cut grass field most of the time and Dave assured me it would handle that just fine; I would have to agree, the wheel pants don't appear as though they would produce a problem in the grass. I'm sure our friend Chuck will be testing one for us soon enough ! The prop appears to be standard Super Cub, 9x6. The cowl seems fairly stout as well. Not nearly as thin as the Super Cub, more like the T-28's cowl in thickness. The overall fit & finish being typical of Horizon Hobby's products: First Class!

I'm buying one for sure --- although I'm way beyond a trainer, this thing looks so good, and apparently flys so well, that I can imagine I'll have many, many fun filled hours doing touch-n-go's out at the driving range! I suspect many experienced pilots will buy this as a nice relaxing flyer....sometimes we forget that's what it's all about.

My only other comment is that there are currently two threads going on this little gem and someone oughtta figure out which one we're going with....my guess is, as soon as word gets out about this model, this thing's gonna catch on like wildfire and there'll be many folks posting on "the" thread

Cheers all,
John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Jan 14, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,880 Posts
The Ares Gamma 370 Pro flies NOTHING like the 3 channel original Gamma 370. The aileron wing and brushless system make the Pro model a completely different airplane.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,638 Posts
Well,

That's all fine and good, but I suspect the Gamma has some serious competition heading it's way....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:25 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
My only other comment is that there are currently two threads going on this little gem and someone oughtta figure out which one we're going with....my guess is, as soon as word gets out about this model, this thing's gonna catch on like wildfire and there'll be many folks posting on "the" thread
Cheers all,
John
sorry guys thats my Fault i saw the other thread in the training section and just thought WOW! this thing looks so cool i'm sure some of the guys who love scale will buy it as a Parkflyer so thought i'd set up a thread here more for the advanced pilot than the learners. I must say it was a toss up between here in the Parkflyers or the Scale Section as it is very scale too

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,638 Posts
No biggie my friend,

I just didn't know where to post, so I posted in both threads...!

Unless the moderators have a problem, this arrangement will probably work as this plane will definitely appeal to a very broad range of modellers. I'll subscribe to both, that way I'm covered either way !

I look forward to your review and maiden of this model; seems like you always get 'em first and your mate Mike at Modelflight.com has already posted an intro video....so they got 'em.

This model creates quite a dilemma. I mean, my goodness! First the Archer, and now this ! Doesn't Horizon Hobby realize there's global economic calamity happening right now ?

Oh yeah, and so much for all the naysayers that Horizon Hobby and Parkzone et. al. were in trouble I mean, HA! It's clear now they were simply developing new models and now they're releasing them....practically at the rate of one per week !

Cheers my friend,
John
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Jan 12, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:23 PM
Winter is coming.
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
Hi All,

Thanks to Mike for doing that video! Just a couple of points on the new Glasair Sportsman. While it is a great model for those moving up from a 3 channel trainer like the Stratos or Champ, it is also very much suitable as a very first, teach yourself to fly, trainer.
While the typical aileron equiped trainer was best suited for learning with an instructor, the 2-Axis (not 3 btw) stabilization of Virtual Instructor make the Sportsman handle as easy as a 3 channel model. The system has tons of features to make the model turn with only an aileron input, keep it from getting upsidedown or in a death spiral. Much like AS3X, the system is tuned so its not something that can be felt or detected in normal flight. You really dont feel it until you need it.
The training features of the system can also be turned off with the flip of a switch on the Spektrum DX4e tx so you can flip back and forth.

We should have the first video on line this afternoon on HH.com, so take a look. HBZ7600 is the part number.
I'm really excited about this model. Been a few years in development and I think we're really got something here that is revolutionary. Its such a nice flying model, that even I enjoy taking it out and playing with it..shooting landing are just fun! It lands sooooo nice.
I've had my Champ for only a couple of weeks, so have more time to put in on it, but looking ahead, this looks sweet!

I was thinking about the Ares Pro, but with all these training features, this has taken the lead.

I'll be following this one closely to see how everyone likes it.
JerryT87 is offline Find More Posts by JerryT87
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,880 Posts
Not at its price point. This plane costs almost 3 times what the Gamma 370 Pro costs. I fly alot of Parkzone/Hobbyzone planes, but at that price, I would definately pass if I was a newb and not knowing if I was going to stay in the hobby. If the AS3X system in my UM Spitfire is any indication, I'm not sure that I really care for it at all. I do believe though that the FB Stratos is all it is cracked up to be, and at its price point, it fulfills its promise. I really don't see what Horizon Hobby plans ot accomplish with this plane. I question the utility of the Archer too, when the venerable T-28 Trojan fits the role of a first 4 channel plane just fine. I guess all in all, it is good for the hobby as a whole. Just another (pricey) alternative I guess.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,638 Posts
Aw, come on, Chuck....

It's not that pricey when you figure in a few things:

First, it's sold as RTF for two and a half bills. That's RTF with Spetkrum BNF technology that you can use in other models.....can't do that with Ares.

Also, it's from an American based company with a time-tested, proven track record of standing behind it's products. I'd say legendary.

There's plenty of spares available, and usually from any LHS.

It's got a whopping 54 inch wingspan.....remember, bigger planes usually fly better....

It uses the 1300 mAh battery --- inexpensive to operate.

Let's face it, when I purchased my Super Cub over a year ago I thought it was expensive. Yeah, I gagged a little bit. Not now. Note I said over a year ago. I still fly that plane periodically.

Not arguing with you my friend, just saying I don't think it's that expensive when you factor in the reliability of Horizon Hobby products compared to some others...

I'll be buying one for sure...I suspect you will too once you see it in person.

Hang Loose my friend!

p.s. Remember, initial success will ensure the folks who buy the plane stay in the hobby. This model will insure initial success.
John
RCG Plus Member