HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:48 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
So I have decided to get the RCM Basic Trainer. Does anyone have a set of plans for it. I know I can get them from RCM, but from what I have heard it takes a very long time and I would like to start soon.. thanks in advance.
dmbaerry is offline Find More Posts by dmbaerry
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:35 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbaerry View Post
So I have decided to get the RCM Basic Trainer. Does anyone have a set of plans for it. I know I can get them from RCM, but from what I have heard it takes a very long time and I would like to start soon.. thanks in advance.
If you meqan the RCM 1/2A Basic Trainer it is available on Outerzone here: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3030

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is online now Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:36 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,461 Posts
The herr cub is another great plane
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
will that take the .10 nitro engine?
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:10 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
the Herr planes are sweet fliers.

I have the P51 with an OS 15 on it and with an 8x3 combat prop it's pretty easy to fly but not a "first" plane unless you have a lot of sim time. This is actually my favorite plane. When I built it I reduced the dihedral to around 8 deg so that it would be a little more sporty and less self righting. If built per the instructions it would actually be a good low wing trainer with a .10. I flew it as an electric for a while and had the weight down, thing would slow to a crawl and fly backwards in a 10mph head wind. With the 15 it's heavy but doesn't act like it, landing speed is about 10-15mph. I actually plan on building one with an inverted OS 10 to cut the weight some.

I also have he Star Cruiser which is an excellent trainer/ lazy day plane. When I built mine I added an extra 6 inches to the wing span. Was really easy. Before I completed the wings I used a wing rib and traced it onto a piece of balsa (not in kit) and cut one out for each wing. The wing spars were actually long enough to add 3 inches to each wing with no problem. The thing floats like crazy as a light electric. My step kids could actually run faster than it was floating in at landing speed. I run dual rates on the control throws, Hi being Herr recommended throws and low being half recommended. On low rates you can not stall the plane. It comes in at about a 20 deg glide slope, you can't flair it because it's all ready at full elevator, it just sets down and will roll to a stop in less than 10 feet on flat pavement.
commrad is offline Find More Posts by commrad
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:49 PM
PHYSICS TROOPER
New Zealand, Canterbury, Ohoka
Joined Mar 2013
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang1 View Post
My daughter & I built a David Boddington Pronto together & flew it with an OS10.

The plan was in a book on aeromodelling. Built as a 3 channel model (no ailerons)
& lightened the structure as it was originally designed for a 35.

About as basic as possible, just a box with wings. The trike gear means you can
taxi it properly & take offs & landings are easier. It's super easy to fly. - John.
Did you get this plan/wing section from DB's Radio Control Primer? - I have just ordered a copy on line and have also just ordered an OS10. How did you lighten it? It's quite a large model for 1.5cc (61inches?) - I am looking at various trainer designs for my second plane, the first being an 049 52ins MINNOW powered glider.
PHYSICS TROOPER is offline Find More Posts by PHYSICS TROOPER
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:15 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
If it isn't too late, the Butterfly is perfect for the .10 as it is a power 2 meter glider designed for the .10 size engine.
The plane is slow enough when throttled down that there is plenty of time to think and get your self back in control. And being a glider there won't be the OH Sh!! when you have your very first dead stick landing.
BTW this plane is available fro, Tower Hobbies
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:27 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
840 Posts
It's a very good idea. It is 99 inches, not 2 meters, but it would be a good choice as long as you can get some nearly windless days. Otherwise it will be tossed around like a, well, butterfly!

I converted a 2 meter glider with an OS 10 FP and used it for training for awhile. I thought it was pretty good. I do prefer a more conventional type trainer, but what an experienced pilot likes and what a beginner finds comfortable to fly are not necessarily the same.
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
thanks guys.. The butterfly is a great thought.. I remember a club member had one when I was a Kid that was covered in Transparent purple and black.. it was really sharp..
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:00 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
883 Posts
Quote:
Did you get this plan/wing section from DB's Radio Control Primer? - I have just ordered a copy on line and have also just ordered an OS10. How did you lighten it? It's quite a large model for 1.5cc (61inches?) - I am looking at various trainer designs for my second plane, the first being an 049 52ins MINNOW powered glider.
Sorry, I haven't been on this thread for a while. From what I remember it was DB's Raddio Control Primer. I just checked out mine & it's 50 inch span but I did leave off the tips shown & fitted extra 1/8 inch tip ribs. My fuselage sides are 1/8 inch balsa with 1/16 inch balsa doublers at the front with the grain running top to bottom. Top & bottom sheeting is 1/16.

Tail surfaces are 1/8 inch balsa. I fitted a really small reciever, micro servos & a 225 mAh battery. I think the original undercarriage was thicker wire, mine is 1/8 with light foam wheels.

I didn't need a great finish, just a couple of coats of dope & some spray can enamel. Wing is covered in film.

I still have the model, engine & radio out. I should dust it off, refit things & give it a fly! - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:40 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
883 Posts
Quote:
I should dust it off, refit things & give it a fly!
Not such a bad idea. I'm teaching a friend to fly & he's up to the landing stage & crashed (slightly) his H9 P-51 yesterday.

The Pronto sounds like it may be easier for him to learn the basics of throttle control, approaching & landing. If all goes wrong at least it's lighter & will bounce better! - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:32 AM
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
I remember flying a friends Buttery fly many years ago and I was impressed. Last year that memory prompted me to purchase the kit and a new OS .10
I can post kit pics if needed.
I learned to fly on a Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady I built from plans and had an Cox .049 on a power pod. Radio was a Muliplex (I was in Germany at the time)
Also the model was covered with tissue and doped.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROACE View Post
I remember flying a friends Buttery fly many years ago and I was impressed. Last year that memory prompted me to purchase the kit and a new OS .10
I can post kit pics if needed.
I learned to fly on a Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady I built from plans and had an Cox .049 on a power pod. Radio was a Muliplex (I was in Germany at the time)
Also the model was covered with tissue and doped.
Please post the pics would love to see them
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
EDIT!! I can't tell my right from left, OS on right AP on left