Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:19 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
300 Posts
Discussion
Soph Lady wing work on a Gentle Lady fuse??

Wondering if the wing from a Sophisticated Lady will work on a Gentle Lady fuse?
Thanks.
overmyhead is offline Find More Posts by overmyhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:35 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
931 Posts
Probably.......

I've never owned either plane but you can take just about any wing and put it on any fusalage (and rudder/elevator setup) and make it work within reason. If two planes are designed in the same general size class and speed ranges, their parts probably can be interchanged, possibly for the better, possibly for the worse, but not "that" much better or worse. Obviously putting a 36" wing from a DLG on a 3M woody plane's fusalage isn't going to work well, nor the other way around.

What is important is that the wing saddle of the fusalage matches the wing being attached to it (or that you modify the wing saddle to accomodate the "new" wing) and that the incidence of the "new" wing isn't much different than the "old" wing relative to the horizontal stab so that you have somewhat predictable and preferably "good" flying characteristics.

You may or may not need to change the balance weight in the nose after your "new" wing is in place.

RC soaring history is chock-full of wing/fusalage mix-n-matches, especially woodies. Some have even won competitions. So, there you have it.

That's my 2 Cents on the matter, Good luck - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:51 PM
irvine, ca
Joined Apr 2002
236 Posts
They're almost identical, should work fine
jrs_123 is offline Find More Posts by jrs_123
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,686 Posts
The SL wing is somewhat stronger the GL wing. Other than that it's identical.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:50 PM
United States, AZ, Wittmann
Joined Jan 2006
46 Posts
The airfoil and chord length is the same. The mounting method is different. The Gentle Lady wing has a notch at the center of the trailing edge for the centered rubber bands. The Sophisticated Lady and Electra use crosswise dowels to hold the rubber bands, and their wing does not have the notch. To use a Sophisticated Lady wing on a Gentle Lady fuselage, you will have to cut the notch in the wing, or change the Gentle Lady to cross dowels.
grog85361 is offline Find More Posts by grog85361
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:53 PM
Joined Jan 2006
46 Posts
Last picture caption should be "Sophisticated Lady has cross fuselage dowels for rubber bands"
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,686 Posts
Ok where is Wittmann, Az. I live and fly in Tucson, Az. Putting a notch in the SL wing should be easy. I would however re-enforce the area with thin plywood or F/G. Thank's for pointing out the differences btw the 2 wing's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:55 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
300 Posts
Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.
overmyhead is offline Find More Posts by overmyhead
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:27 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,629 Posts
I wanted to fly, but my wing was ruined. So I strapped an old Zagi clone wing on the fuse, which I think was an Oly 650 fuse. It took some carving and fiddling to get a nice fit but worked quite well. I then had a swept wing glider with ailerons, rudder and elevator. It wasn't much of a floater but I liked it better than the flying wing by itself.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:16 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,106 Posts
Yes that wing will work great. I recommend running two pieces of c/f tube across the fuse.I use 6 bands 4 four and aft and 2 diagonal. That wing is also the same as the Electra which is stronger than the original GL wing.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Jan 2006
46 Posts
prodjx,
Wittmann is northwest of Phoenix, between Sun City and Wickenburg. God's country .(because nobody else wants it!)