HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:09 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
Byron originals F-18

Hey guys, pretty new hear. I have a chance on getting a rtf Byron originals F-18. It has everything in it including rossi 90 or 91, retracts, etc, etc. I will be converting it to edf. Still looking around for Fan Unit ideas. But does anyone have the plans or manual for this jet? I would like to take a look at them just to get more familiar with it. Its this jet on rcuniverse.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=892788

Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Steven
sdcole is offline Find More Posts by sdcole
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:22 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,011 Posts
put two dynamaxs in it on e-power and call it a day .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:40 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,630 Posts
2 wont really fit
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:43 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2007
253 Posts
it would be a major pain to put two dynamax's in there I did do a conversion to a single dynamax's a few years ago,let me see if I can post up a link,im sure if you look under my profile you will find the build thread. Paul
eazyp2 is offline Find More Posts by eazyp2
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Oct 2007
253 Posts
here you go this is the way I did it,funny thing is im still not finished,i did manage two test flights.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127579 paul
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Paul, thanks for the link. I remember reading that. I will Def read it again.

Any ideas where to find a manual?

Steven
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Oct 2007
253 Posts
i could probably dig my old one up and make you a copy,hopefully i can find it as that was the first thing i got rid of,lol but i will look for it. Paul
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:03 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I had one of these, many moons ago. it barely flew on the Byrojet combination. it kinda just wallowed around the sky on the verge of stalling. it was a real handful. if you plan on using the Byron fan, I would contact Bob Ruff (Bruff). he's well versed in all things Byron/electric. otherwise, I would go single Dynamax. you could talk to Lee Liddle (knifeliddle) about some interesting combos on a budget. he's got some cheaper options available.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:22 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,131 Posts
Steven:

I just made a post regarding your F-18 on this link.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1715858&page=8

Sorry I did not see this thread until after my post. For the manual,try contacting John at www.ironbaymodelcompany.com to see if he can help.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Thanks ED I saw your post over there. Lots of good info.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
I was looking at some pics of a byron f-18 from another thread. I could not see the cheater holes. I hope its not cut up down there. The seller has not responded to my email yet with some questions about the jet. Hopefully he answers soon to my questions so I can proceed from there.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Thanks Paul for looking for that manual. Do you happen to have video of your f-18?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:58 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,932 Posts
Byron

ALL Byron planes had a auxiliary intake on the bottom right in,front of the fan AKA cheater hole. Look up pictures of a Byron F-16. Ahh the memories, we used the run up the throttle while holding the plane and give it a push. It would take a lap or two before it would be on pipe as we used to say. Yep, slow and wide turns

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcole View Post
I was looking at some pics of a byron f-18 from another thread. I could not see the cheater holes. I hope its not cut up down there. The seller has not responded to my email yet with some questions about the jet. Hopefully he answers soon to my questions so I can proceed from there.
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
ALL Byron planes had a auxiliary intake on the bottom right in,front of the fan AKA cheater hole
Darn, oh well. No biggie. Another guy on another topic made me kinda think it might not even be a byron. Heres his post.

I have looked at the RCU add that shows the F-18 plane you are considering buying. You might want to double check with the seller about the specs. for that plane. It does not match the description of Byron's F-18 as listed on Iron Bay's site. Byron specs: 84" long 57" wingspan. RCU F-18: 94" long 47" wingspan. The pictures on the RCU site are very small and make it difficult to really inspect the plane, but to me it just doesn't look like a Byron. I do not remember Byron offering Sparrow missals on their F-18. Byron's kit came with scale gear which would be very costly to replicate if this was not a Byron. It must how ever be large enough to stick a 6" fan in there. I cant say I remember any other fiberglass kits that were made big enough for the Byron fan so maybe it is a Byron or maybe its a turbine kit. Either way I thought I might chime in with my observations. I know it would be a big investment for you and I just want you to be real sure what you might be buying.

Let me know what you think.

Steven
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:03 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you post a link to the add, maybe we can help you out.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7