HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:45 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,959 Posts
Discussion
Mall mauling?

OK, so the title is a bit reactionary, but anyone who's ever slowed down a bit too much in front of a mall kiosk can relate.

I hadn't been to the local mall in a long time and I had a bit of time to kill before heading to work, so I swung by to peruse the record store (which actually DOES sell records) and see what I could see. I'd just eaten lunch, so one of the rather good restaurants in the place were out of the question.

No more arcade, no more toy stores and there was never a hobby shop in the place.

There are plenty of little kiosks in the main walkway selling everything from calendars to massages.

And toys.

Had to slow down for just a moment thanks to what looked like an RTF T-Rex 450 clone...which turned out to be nothing but a big 3.5-channel coaxial.

This was not a place with such helicopter fare as that from Align, SAB, Thunder Tiger, Blade, Heli-Max or Century, among others. You get the idea.

No, this was the realm of the Double Horse Volitation and the Yiboo UJ376 along with a handful of Syma IR controlled nano coaxials and something that looked like a clone of an MRC Hoot.

It was also the realm of an enthusiastic young salesman who couldn't wait to launch a Syma IR in the air, resplendent in its LED light display.

"Look! This flies good! It has a gyro!"

I secretly agreed the thing flew well; good thing I knew what a gyro was. "No, thanks. That big helicopter caught my eye and I thought it was something else. I have some planes and helicopters at home."

"You want one with a camera?"

No thanks, I thought while supressing a smile. I already have a pair of Twister Police Helicams, one with an inoperative camera, one li-po between the two and no ready parts source. One can shoot only so much video of the living room.

"Fifty percent off!"

I thanked him and proceeded to tell him about some of my CCPM choppers. I think he might have been somewhat steeped in R/C helicopter lore since he seemed genuinely impressed. Under different circumstances, I might have been able to tell a poor soul like him that I was flying a turbine-powered Studebaker and it would have gone over his head.

Honesty was the best policy in this case and I'm too nice to double talk (Double Horse?) some poor soul anyway.

In a way, I kind of regret not picking up a Syma from the guy.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jan 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:33 AM
You can call me Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
592 Posts
seems like everything for the mainstream is dumbed down.
I had similar experiences years ago with bicycles.
After working with high end equipment in a professional shop, then going to walmart and perusing their bike section was amusing.
same for model rocketry, cameras, tennis racquets, etc..

actually imagine if the mall sold RTF 450 size 6ch ccpm helis? wonder how many people would get hurt or do damage trying to fly them in the backyard?
pdooley is offline Find More Posts by pdooley