SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by flyinwalenda, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:53 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
Build Log
Hansa-Brandenburg W.29

I ordered a Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 from Maxford on New Year's Day and it arrived yesterday.
I'll detail the assembly here as well as post the maiden flight report.

flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
It arrived in about a week and was boxed very well. The components were packaged very well with no damage to the major components. The only issues I noticed are two of the exhaust stacks broke out of the dummy engine and a blemish on the coating but it is very minor and will probably be covered by the windshield. I can probably repair the dummy engine.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
Holy mother, is that ever a cool looking bird.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
Yes it is ! I've had my eye on it for over a year and this sale price was right.
I have everything available to outfit it. Used Power 15, used ESC and a mix of new servos probably some HS-65HB's for inside the fuse and something of equal size for the wing.
I got the pilot figures as they were on sale too but I thought the prices for the guns was a bit steep. The front guns should not be a problem for me to make but the Spandau/Parabellum_MG14 gun in the rear seat will take a bit of time to make.
If I can find one for a decent price in that scale I would buy it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:06 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
I Also like it...Pitty the rear half of the fuselage is built upside down

Very cool looking plane +5
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Last edited by Weed89; Jan 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:10 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
I started the basic assembly like installing the control surfaces, aileron servos, etc...
The quality of arf is not bad. Compared to what I have worked with already , it's better than your typical "white-box Chicom " arf, but not as good as a Hangar 9, Wild Hare, and not even close to Aeroworks.
The construction is OK but the joints are hot glued so I usually go over as much as I can with CA glue to stiffen it up. The covering is China-coat so be aware if you drip any CA on the inside of the covering it will bleed through and leave a mark on the outside. I wasn't too concerned with that as I am going to weather the silver areas a bit and then flat clear it to knock the shine down.
You will have to open up the slots for the CA hinges and I take a small 1/16" drill bit and make a hole in the center of the slot on both surfaces to allow the thin CA to wick-in.
The ailerons and the wing panels did not line up correctly side-side. I set the edges flush and got the inside gap even but on one side the hinge gap was a bit larger so either one of the wings or ailerons were built wrong. Not a big deal but be aware of it. The elevator fits nice to the stab though.
The hardware is OK and they give you EZ connects for the one end of the supplied control rods. I don't like EZ/Quick connectors for anything over a small foamy parkflyer. I've seen too many come apart on larger planes resulting in their demise. At best I would use them on a throttle it I had too. For this I am going to solder on some Dubro threaded couplers and put nylon clevises on the servo ends.

Oh I did find a place that sells WWI gun kits for a decent price and they look very detailed so I may just order them instead of crafting them myself.
http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/products/wwi.htm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
Control surfaces hinges went in OK but again some of the slots had to be "moved" to allow for proper install and alignment.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
Installed the horizontal stab. Remember to cut away the coating so there is good wood-wood contact for the epoxy. Make sure it is in proper alignment with the fuselage , make some reference marks, then epoxy and screw it in place. Then test fit the rudder and install it.
Last edited by flyinwalenda; Jan 14, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
I glued the servo mounting blocks to the plates for the ailerons and then installed the servos and installed the extensions inside of the wings.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
I decided to modify the wings so I can remove them for transporting and for storing. I didn't like the fact that the only thing keeping the wings on the tubes were the struts so I decided to install some retainer bolts on each wing. I fitted a balsa block between the sheeting and the tube receiver for each wing tube and glued them in place. I drilled a hole to fit a 4-40 bolt for the main tube and a servo screw for the smaller tube. I drilled and tapped the large tube for the 4-40 bolt and then hardened the threads with thin CA and also hardened the holes and blocks in the wings with thin CA as well as the small threads made in the small wing tube.
Now I can remove the bolt&screw from one panel and remove the wings.
I am also going to install threaded inserts into the outer wing panels for the struts later on.
Note the alignment of the holes in the fuselage are not quite right and either the leading edge or trailing edge of the wing panel has a gap where it meets the fuse when the panels are installed into the tubes. It's not horrible but a little work on the holes will make for a better fit if it bothers you.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
I installed the servos into the fuselage and installed the linkage. I decided not to install threaded couplers on the rods as it would require too much re-work inside the fuse to gain enough movement with the added length of the coupler. Instead I just centered the servos and centered the control surfaces , marked and put "Z-bends" on the servo ends. I can always use sub-trim to center everything if necessary after trimming plus nothing will easily come apart in flight as with those EZ-connectors.
I did end up using the EZ connectors for the ailerons as the factory holes for the horns do not line up properly with the openings for the servo arms and if using a regular clevis the angle is way off. Even when using the EZ-connector it is still a bit off but will be OK. If an EZ-connector breaks I can still fly the plane with rudder and elevator !
I also cut out the braces for the battery forward location.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:22 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
The directions call for gluing the dummy engine into place. I wanted access to that area as it will aid in removing the battery plus if I ever have to change motors, etc.. So I installed some magnets to hold it in place.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
Installed the motor and ESC. Had to drill the firewall and install some blind nuts and made some spacers to extend the motor out for the proper clearance. Fitted the ESc below the motor with velcro.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
Used a heat gun to bend the windscreen into shape for installation onto the cockpit/hatch. Made some slots into the hatch and glued it into place. Also glued some balsa flat stock for the pilots and then glued them into place.
Last edited by flyinwalenda; Jan 14, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,923 Posts
Fitted the cowl into place(after installing the engine radiator), marked and cut away the excess so it properly fits the fuselage.