HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:29 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
What diameter wheel is shown on the kit plans?

7.5 x 10 aircraft tire is ~24" diameter.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:27 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
The plans don't indicate the size of the wheel and show a partial wheel. It looks like it would be 3.5" diameter. The wheel pants from Fiberglass Specialties that go with the Waco are listed for 4 to 4.5" wheels. They appear to be a bit larger than the pants shown on the plans.

How does 7.5 x 10 translate to 24" diameter? Is 10 the wheel size and 7.5 the tube diameter. There are so many ways tires seem to be designated. That would mean that I should use a 4" diameter wheel/tire about 1.25" wide. Does that sound right. Perhaps like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XES47&P=7#tech
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:34 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,570 Posts
I'd just mount a pair of wheels that looks right to you, unless you plan to compete.

That reminds me, Pica's wheel pant mounting method is less than optimal. I suggest that you use a method that has proved successful for you in the past.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:42 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Thanks Tom

I'll take a look at the mounting when I get there. I appreciate the heads up.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:46 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,570 Posts
I just blurt out things as I remember them. If I don't pass the idea along immediately, it may be lost forever.

Don't let my suggestions worry you. This is a darn good kit. One that I would definately build again.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:48 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,811 Posts
By and far

The tire numbers indicate 7.50 (width) and 10.(Wheel diameter) The tire's outside diameter is seldom indicated.
As Tom says,unless you're competing,stuff as much diameter in there as you can,especially for grass fields.
Divide your scale number-(1/5)-(1/6) into 24" (the full scale size diameter),and go the next larger,if it'll fit..

Sig has some very nice wheel pant mounts,a plastic affair,with an allen bolt adjustment screw,and two screws into the wheel pant.Strong and secure.

Part number later......
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:05 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Here are some pictures of the wings. I need to do the final sanding and the servo compartments in the bottom wing, but I'll wait until I am ready for final assembly. I smoothed up the wing tips as suggested early in this thread.

I like built up ailerons and these went together very well.

It time to get started on the fuselage.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:04 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Here's the next installment, the beginning of the fuselage construction.

The bottom fuselage builds on a crutch. E.J. is going to really like his magnetic board for this type of construction, at least if he has little triangles that fit between the formers for getting them nice and vertical. I have to hold the former in one hand, a little triangle in the other hand, CA and the third hand and CA accellerator in the fourth.

I decided to go with the kit design for a engine mounts and and a fuel tank box. The fuel tank box is small by todays standards. The only tanks that I think will fit are a Sullivan round 10 oz and I hope a Hayes 12 oz, which is on order.

The engine mounts would work with a Saito 82 but are not space far enough for a Saito hunnert. I will have to remove a little material but I decided not to mess with the spacing or cut them before hand to keep options open. It is a decision I don't regret as one change always leads to a bunch of unforseen changes. It is very hard for me to visualize what is supposed to happen as the plans don't have a lot of detail and the instructions, while adequate, are in very small print and a little vague. The engine mount/fuel box is a very sturdy structure. Obviously it does not allow for a right thrust adjustment very easily. It also means that the Saito is going to be pointing down, and the valve covers at least will be extending out of the bottom of the cowl, hopefully replacing the cowl blisters on the bottom more or less and matching the others. I haven't really explored this yet. But I think it will probably work out.

The landing gear is totally built in, much like my Stearman. I thought about making a heavier gauge gear but just didn't feel like it. I can bend up wire but it always takes a couple tries to get them right. I've got an idea to add a little strength later. I replaced the main bulkhead that holds the gear with one made from AC ply, and I added tri stock bracing to the main gear attach block. This is pretty much the only mod I've made so far.

Lining up the gear and setting the angle of the second former requires a fair bit of measurement and a lot of second looks to make sure it is right. It would be hard to fix this once the glue sets. I almost expoxied the landing gear brackets wrong but luckily saw my mistake and was able to twist them off just in time. I also got one of the buried landing gear wires epoxied in the groove at the wrong angle but was able to heat the wire to soften the epoxy and rotate the wire to the proper position. Mostly everything else is glued with CA where debonder sometimes comes to my rescue.

I also took a break from the fuselage and made the tailfeathers. I like tailfeathers because they are easy and it is harder to goof up. They are inside out construction and surprising stiff and very light. I think they need to be light because this is one of those radial engine planes with a short nose. I need to remember to wax the wood between the external ribs so the covering doesn't stick where I don't want it to.

Well, that's it for now. Time to get the fuselage off the board and install the cabane attachment and then get on with the top half.

This is all happening way too fast. I am going to have too much winter left. I have been wanting to do some FPV flying with my multicopters but it is either too cold, too windy or a can't get a satellite lock for my GPS at my postage stamp in the deep valley flying field.

Still there are a lot of tasks that remain to be done so I'll be good for a few more weeks.
Last edited by u2builder; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:13 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,570 Posts
Nice progress !

It's going quickly now, but you may slow down when it come time to solder up your cabanes and N-struts. I know that I did.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:19 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
.......Whoops, I repeated stuff. I'll fill this page in later.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:26 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Nice progress !

It's going quickly now, but you may slow down when it come time to solder up your cabanes and N-struts. I know that I did.
Yeah, I know that. When you think you are 90% done you have 90% left to go. All the little things, like making N struts and figuring out and making attach fittings, lining up the top wing properly, finishing the landing gear, fairing in the cabanes and landing gear, hinges, and setting up the radio equipment all take a long time to do. And then there is covering.......

I'll probably be able to drag it out until March.

Yes, this is a great kit. The wood is really excellent, the die cutting was rather perfect, and I like the design, especially of the fuselage.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:11 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Looking really nice.

Glad you're taking lead ship. Now I can sit back and watch how it's done.

Watching your build, I'm formulating how to utilize the building board. The fun is already beginning.

Not sure If you settled the tire issue, but my plan sheet denotes 3-1/2" tires.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:43 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Yeah, you will love that board. I don't think I have that parts sheet. Thanks for sharing it. I am surprised a Sullivan 12 oz tank will fit. If it does, it will be a just barely. I think the Hayes tank will be a good choice. I found on my plans a 3 1/4" wheel but it turns out I had ordered an extra set of 4" Robart wheels for my Stearman by mistake so I am going to use them. They will fit in my wheelpants and be good on my rough field. Close enuf!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:24 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
Dang you're fast! Slow down and smell the CA.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:44 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Dang you're fast! Slow down and smell the CA.

Gosh, I try to go slow. I just can't seem to.

I smelled about 6 oz of CA so far. CA really speeds up construction of this type of model because I don't have to wait for the glue to dry at cold temps. I don't stay in the shop too long at any one time because it is too cold! But I wander down frequently after warming my butt up at the woodstove. I do so look forward to seeing the results of each step so I keep pecking away.