HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:43 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
Hey, come on! You start a build thread and the next day you have an entire wing built? How long have you been sitting on this?

It's terrific that you're starting your build so far in advance of mine (got a Cub to finish, first). Lots of time for me to figure out how to make mine better. But mine is an early Pica 1/5-scale with no corrugated parts.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:46 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
I am usually a day or two ahead of my posts.
You've got my number. I had the wing half built when I wrote the introduction. It is hard to restrain myself; I just can't wait to see the finished result.

This wing goes together pretty quickly if you aren't waiting for glue to dry, which could be awhile at my shop temperature. This wing build would be fairly well suited to building with wood glue, but it would take a long time to dry in my cold shop. So I am back to CA. I don't even need many pins, just press together and glue (thin CA) or glue and press (medium CA). So it goes together quickly once I puzzle things out and find little pieces I have misplaced on the workbench mess.

So far I haven't really focused on making any real changes. Heck, the balsa is so nice in this kit I am not trying to replace, or to use anything "lighter" like I often do.

Welcome aboard!
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Last edited by u2builder; Jan 12, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:16 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
Better class of scrap

You were talking about the excellent wood in the kit,and I was just replacing my Nosen die-cut sheet scrap with the better scrap from the Executive Designs kit !

I'm movin' up in the world.
Don't 'cha just love good die-cutting? And that wood is perfect....too light to be heavy, and too heavy to be light.

A thought on the corrugations..Plastistruct has triangular plastic strips,as does Top Flite,for the Cessna 182.But-there's the rub....If you glue individual strips of plastic or balsa on the ailerons, I guarantee you won't be happy with them..It is nearly impossible to get them straight and true.
If one is off more than about .005, it's like you have a spotlight on it !
I'd take the weight penalty-3ozs ?shoooooot man-that ain't nothin'!

If you do use the preformed ones,allow about 1/8" to extend past the trailing edges.Trial fit the bottom sheet,inverted,lay the aileron on it,then lay the top sheet on..Jiggle the aileron until the two plastic edges meet.
When actually gluing,weight the assembly down on a straight surface.After it's glued,thin C/A carefully wicked in,will stiffen the edges.

A couple of glue dots between the corrugations at the trailing edge will become "rivets',and look scaler.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:33 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Thanks. Great advice. Another good thing about the sheets is they are all a shiny surface and would seemingly take less paint prep.

Yes, the balsa on this kit is really very nice, what I would describe a medium weight and good to work with and handle.

I haven't done a kit like this with 1/8" thick ribs before. While they are a bit heavy it is nice that I don't break them pushing them on the spars or sanding them. And I won't be needing to do capstrips.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:19 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Here's a few pictures of the lower wing construction.

Construction is basically the same as the top wing. The bottom wing is actually built on the bottom wing sheeting. The center section sheeting is pinned to the board and then the leading edge, bottom spars, and ribs are glued on top of the skin. Different than anything I have done before but it works great.

I mentioned that on the top wing I wasn't thrilled with the fact that the upper and lower main outboard spars were not connected to their center counterparts. This time I didn't sheet the center as per plans, but rather added the outboard panels first. This let me cut in little ply spar connectors. They are shown in the first picture.

I am planning to use servos in each wing, and I managed to remember to drill holes for the servo wires. Now I just need to remember to add the wires before I cover the wings.

The last picture shows my current method of joining two pieces of balsa to make a wing skin. This is probably familiar to everyone reading this thread, or they have their own favorite method, but I am putting it up in case it helps someone. Once I get two straight edges, I tape them tightly together. Then I fold the two pieces to open the crack and put a line of medium CA. I press it back down on the flat table and quickly wipe any excess CA off with a paper towel. The wiped side is going to be the inside unless I get confused later. Then I pull off the tape. I always get an invisible and perfectly flat seam and it takes about a minute from start to ready to use. I used to do the same thing using wood glue but the CA gives me a perfect instant bond. There is no sanding required. The CA also gives me a runny nose. There just is no free lunch.

By the way, as a point of interest, my upper wing weighed around 11 oz more or less and I used about 1 3/4 oz of CA on the top wing. So it is around 16% glue. Isn't that interesting.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:32 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
...I didn't sheet the center as per plans, but rather added the outboard panels first. This let me cut in little ply spar connectors...
Why did you choose ply instead of solid wood?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:40 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Why did you choose ply instead of solid wood?
If I understand the question correctly, there is dihedral in dihedral in these wings. As per plans the center section spars basically end in a center section rib and the outboard spars end in a rib and the two ribs are glued together to join an outboard panel to the center section. The rear spar and the leading edge had little plywood joiners (dihedral braces) but the main spars didn't have any so that is what I added to the lower wing. They are probably not necessary but I they can't hurt. Tom says he built his according to plans and the wings are plenty strong.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:48 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Looking great! I would never have been able to keep-up with you.

I rechecked my kit and instruction booklet and there is no mention of the aileron corrugations. Looking at a pic of the full-size YMF-3, there's a lot of corrugations. I'll make a decision when I come to that part of the build, but I'm pretty sure I'll omit the corrugations at this scale.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:05 AM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
EJ--Did you say what scale your Waco kit is?

U2--What I tried to ask was why you chose plywood (which has only 1/2 its grain oriented across the joint) instead of solid wood (which would have all of its grain oriented across the joint). I think even the Cub kit is supplied with plywood joiners. Theoretically, it would seem that, on wings having little or no dihedral, joiners could be made both stronger and lighter by using thin, solid wood.

So why choose ply?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:14 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
EJ--Did you say what scale your Waco kit is?

U2--What I tried to ask was why you chose plywood (which has only 1/2 its grain oriented across the joint) instead of solid wood (which would have all of its grain oriented across the joint). I think even the Cub kit is supplied with plywood joiners. Theoretically, it would seem that, on wings having little or no dihedral, joiners could be made both stronger and lighter by using thin, solid wood.

So why choose ply?
Any joint that is connected to a wing spar has more than one force acting on it.Especially at a dihedral connection......The spars are not only trying to separate by 180 degrees,but they are trying to change directions, as well.That's why "shear" webs are installed onto spars.
Under these conditions,plywood is a better choice because of it's resistance to splitting in BOTH directions...and we,ve always done it that way-lol...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:38 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Under these conditions,plywood is a better choice because of it's resistance to splitting in BOTH directions...and we,ve always done it that way-lol...
Yeah, the last half of the sentence is probably how I would answer the question: it is what I have seen in most kits.

Quote:
Looking great! I would never have been able to keep-up with you.
I know. I can't keep up with myself. I am retired and the weather is really crappy and not suitable for any outdoor activity. My wife is out supporting us. There is little to do other than sit at this computer, bring in wood and keep the fire going, drink coffee, bother the cat, and head down to the shop for a spell while watching a repeat of some crime drama.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:37 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Yeah, the last half of the sentence is probably how I would answer the question: it is what I have seen in most kits.

I know. I can't keep up with myself. I am retired and the weather is really crappy and not suitable for any outdoor activity. My wife is out supporting us. There is little to do other than sit at this computer, bring in wood and keep the fire going, drink coffee, bother the cat, and head down to the shop for a spell while watching a repeat of some crime drama.
We could be living in a paralell universe-'cept I have a dog.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:56 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
EJ--Did you say what scale your Waco kit is
1/6-scale (60" wingspan) just like U2's.

EJWash
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:05 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Wheels for 1/6 Waco

I received my Fiberglass Specialties Cowl and Wheelpants. Very nice. The wheelpants are a bit bigger than the ones shown on the plans. I am curious if anyone knows the scale size of Waco wheels or has a recommendation for the wheels I should use on this 1/6 Scale kit?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:06 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
he reproduction (certified new stock) of the YMF-3, the YMF-5, uses a 7.50 X 10 tire:

http://www.wacogear.com/landing-gear/

EJWsh