HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:58 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
U2--You're almost finished already???!!!
Well, in the sense that I have most of the work behind me, but still, it is amazing how much time it will take to get it really done. I spent most of the day painting and fiddling with the fake engine and the landing gear spreader holder. Buy hey, it looks like a plane now.

I'll probably fool around with my FPV plane electronics while I wait for Spring to come, and that is going to be awhile. I can't do any clear coating till it warms up. Maybe I'll make some flying wire brackets. That should take a day.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:22 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
The red and yellow go well together. Nice work !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:21 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Guess what came in the mail today? The vinyl decals from Callie Graphics! See the pics for match-up on plans sheet.

Callie continues to produce impressive work. I'm not using the large NC numbers on my ship. I requested a custom 'N' number and Callie delivered. Matched the same font as the kit graphics and all.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:36 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Here's another shot with the trimmer decals in place on plan sheet. length-wise Fuselage graphic, wheel pant graphic, 'N' number, and Waco graphics on horizontal stab/rudder.

EJWash
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:20 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
I kept thinking about the lower wing ribs. This design does not use capstrips, and I was concerned about the strength of the ribs all by themselves being that I had drilled them to accept the servos leads for a dual servo set-up. I was concerned about the strength of the ribs all by themselves. I epoxied carbon tow on each side of the servo lead drilled ribs except the root ribs which will be sheeted top and bottom, and the servo bay ribs, which will be reinforced for the servo mounting.

EJWash
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:16 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Interesting solution for reinforcing the bored out ribs.

Had you considered a thin layer of balsa with the grain oriented vertically?

I have some CF tape and rods for which I'm determined to find appropriate uses.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:49 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Had you considered a thin layer of balsa with the grain oriented vertically?
I had not. The carbon tow came to mind during a meeting at work (something about a thing) and I thought what a neat thing - adding some modern tech to a vintage kit.

EJWash
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:12 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
I used to add CF tape to everything when I started building planes. I do this less and less now, probably because nothing ever breaks unless I drill it into the ground and and then the CF tape just makes it harder to fix. I am building a couple foamies now where I will be needing some CF however.

The real "weak links" on this plane IMHO seem to be the way the main spar is attached to the center section (CF tape would have been good here but I just didn't feel like adding it given the strange build sequence) , and the rather "light duty" tail feathers and rudder attachment. I didn't even bother to fix this, though I might but probably won't. Most of the damage to my planes occurs while transporting them in or out of the house, garage or car.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:53 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Working on the ailerons. CA'd the ribs in place. See, I use CA!

EJWash
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:16 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
U2,

I'm about to sheet the top of the ailerons. The plans call for mounting a 1/8" ply plate in one of the bays for the control horn. My kit included ply horns to connect the lower ailerons to the upper ailerons. I see in one of your pics that you may have mounted a plate? Are you planning to use a nylon horn here? I was thinking about doing that but didn't see much room for much "bite" of the mounting screw.

EJWash
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:50 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
E.J., You have found a problem with my kit version. I had nylon brackets that were to attach by a small screw. Indeed there was not enough "bite" and I have had to retrofit small bolts. Not a very good system on my plans. Actually I have not finished that "retrofit" yet on the top wing.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:43 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
My kit contained four small (tiny really) 1/16" ply horns that are glued to the aileron ribs. I'm not too wild about that idea. I'm going to glue balsa in each training edge bay where the aileron slaves struts are mounted. This way I can use regular control horns. I'll take and post a pic of it later.

Thanks!

EJWash
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:57 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
That's a good idea E.J. I made a bit of a mess because I tried to screw my plastic horns in. The screws were way too small and too short and pulled out. I have only sort of tried to fix it. I've been playing with foam FPV planes lately. It is too cold out clearcoat my Waco, so I just like looking at it all together for now.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:40 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Lovely, lovely, lovely.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo