HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:58 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Well, now I know what that long strip of styrofoam is for. Along with the foam wingtip blocks, there was a foot-long or so tapered strip of foam in the kit box that was very beat-up. I tossed it.

I looks like on the plans that the turtledeck forks around the bottom of the vertical stab about 3/4", no?

As far as attaching it, magnets (small rear earth) would be a pretty good option and could be recessed into the top stringer. Can't see needing more than two - one towards the front, one towards the rear. Not sure what is used for the top stringer on your kit, but mine is 3/16" square stick. Magnets will not be an option for me.

Not sure how close the underside of your turtleneck fits to the contour of the top of the fuselage, but simplest to me would be just to epoxy (30-minute) it in place. I wouldn't run the epoxy the entire length of the turtleneck, but in say 1/2"-3/4" spots spaced 'x' far apart. remove the covering at the glue spots to get wood-to-wood bonding.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:53 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Yes, mine was a balsa block that needed to be carved. It really doesn't rest on any wood except the center stringer. The instructions mentioned something about covering and then installing it. That little 3/16" stringer is all the wood there is. I am thinking some type of adhesive is going to be the best way to secure it. It is not heavy at all but it needs to conform to the fuselage without big gaps. I hate to cut the fabric on the stringer to get at the wood because it will undoubtedly pull away from the stringer where it is cut. I was thinking of sealing the edges with canopy glue to keep oil and dirt from getting underneath. I don't want to use anything "messy" at this joint. I am still thinking about it as it is a "one shot" deal. I missed the bit about it forking around the stab and mine just ends where the stab begins (I already broke off the little tiny end once while sanding it).
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:13 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
My Platt kit came with styrofoam wingtip blocks. I replaced them with solid balsa blocks.

Lower left wing panel complete, Right wing panel secured to building board and construction underway.

EJWash
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:20 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,921 Posts
You want something that will accept paint, I assume you are painting. I would feel better about glue than a contact adhesive. I guess if it were me, I would use some epoxy. Maybe a photo of how the two parts mate and what each will be attached to would help us understand what you are doing..

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:24 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,469 Posts
That's a great idea for relaxing LE sheeting-one more brain cell full to capacity !
I don't have 'shot' bags,so I cover the wood with plastic,and many magazines as weights.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:43 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
I don't have shot bags, but I do have sand bags.

But then, again, I have been accused of sand bagging, too.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:45 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Earl, regarding the shot bags, see what you'll get to make when you get your sewing skills up to speed?

The bags are 5 pounds each, #8 shotgun shot. Duck cotton - heavy stuff. I also have 2-1/2 pound sandbags. Same size bag in green duck cotton.

EJWash
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:29 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Glued-on the rest of the ribs, gussets, wing trailing edge (aileron bay) and wingtip block. Carved the wingtip block to the contour of the leading edge of the wing.

There is an area of wing trailing edge onboard the aileron bay that is 1/16" balsa sheet. The ribs are recessed on the bottom and the top to accommodate the sheeting. The trick is applying glue (if you're using aliphatic resin like me) to the bottom of the ribs for the bottom sheeting. Easier would be to apply the glue to the top of the sheeting, but where? Thought I'd share how I handled this.

EJWash
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:10 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
Very neat and tidy. Beautiful workmanship.

And always excellent photos and text.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:00 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
802 Posts
What I use for weights . I go to my local building supply store and get a bag of sand and fill up freezer bags. works well. John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:06 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Very neat and tidy. Beautiful workmanship.

And always excellent photos and text.
Thanks loNslo,

I appreciate your guidance and knowledge.

EJWash
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:43 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks01 View Post
What I use for weights . I go to my local building supply store and get a bag of sand and fill up freezer bags. works well. John
Another good idea.

Some time ago I saw someone using socks and I gave that a try. They started emitting dust through the weave after a while. Makes sense now that they would. I like the duck cotton because its a tight weave and gets pliable - forms well to what you're holding down.

EJWash
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:08 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
E.J., Here are some pics of the servo hatch and the decals. Unfortunately it is a little hard to see the decals as there is not a lot of contrast with the yellow color.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:14 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
E.J., Here are some pics of the servo hatch and the decals. Unfortunately it is a little hard to see the decals as there is not a lot of contrast with the yellow color. In additon to the wing number there are the strips, 1" high version of the wing number, a little bird figure with a wingspan of about 2", and a triangle with 2 1/4" sides and a little bird and three triangles inside.

Perhaps we could go in together and get Callie Graphics to make us some nice vinyl decals.