Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:35 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Thanks U2, but if I pan-out for a pic, you'd see a ton of clutter and not so much steel top showing. The board is great tool. Having the magnets is like having an infinite number of hands. Its like, "here, hold this" over and over again.

The right panel of the top wing is built. Need to shape the wingtip blocks and leading edge, then its on to the bottom wing.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:52 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
I was so proud of myself for outrunning the cold season for so long, but alas, I came limping home from the road with a head cold. Frustrated and feeling "blah".

I've been able to put in some time with the build. Just some small items on the top wing and I'm on to the bottom wing.

The wing ribs do not have cap strips. Guess Mr. Platt saw no need for them. One area that I had concerns with is where the ribs attach to the outboard trailing edge where the ailerons are. They just butt-up against the trailing edge stock. I cut some 1/4" triangular stock into 5/8" long gussets and glued them in to support the ribs. Nice and strong now, and virtually no weight.

EJWash
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:58 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Pretty work!

They must be part of the kit but those 2 gussets marked 21-M would benefit from having the grain oriented along the hypotenuse.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:12 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Pretty work!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
They must be part of the kit but those 2 gussets marked 21-M would benefit from having the grain oriented along the hypotenuse.
You are correct - those are the W-12 gussets and they were part of the kit, and yes, I installed them without giving them a second thought. Now that you've brought it up, I just checked the plan sheet and the grain is oriented along the hypotenuse. Looks like the die-cutter didn't check the plan sheet, and for a very long time. Take a look at U2's fourth pic in post #9. Same orientation along the sides. Well, now that's gonna bug me so I'll make a set with the correct grain orientation for the bottom wing, which I'm about to start.

One advantage to aliphatic resin glue - it de-bonds with water. I'll work with one gusset and see how much effort it takes to remove it. If it's a no-brainer, I'll remove the other five (six total per wing).

Good eye! Best check your kit.

EJWash
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:45 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Removed the kit W-12 wing gussets using water to de-bond the Titebond glue. Cut new gussets with the proper grain orientation. I'll let the wing dry-out overnight.

loNslo, thanks again for the second set of eyes.

EJWash
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:39 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
You're welcome. Better to catch it now.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:51 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
What a beautiful build E.J. Good to see it coming along. I am glad someone is keeping the thread active. I've felt guilty.

I have been busy working on an FPV plane and fussing around with my computer. The foamy Penguin took a few hours to build getting the electronics installed and programmed is taking days. Despite some efforts to do a neat job it is a rat's nest of wires going every which way. So far no white smoke though so I am one up on the boys and girls at Boeing.

I'll be getting back to the Waco in a while. I did notice the grain going the wrong way in the braces but didn't think it mattered enough to make new braces. I think perhaps cap strips were omitted to give a more scale rib look and with the thick ribs I don't see them as being very necessary and like very much not needing to glue them on.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:42 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,200 Posts
Maximum strength comes from installing the grain that-a way....That doesn't mean the minimum strength is not adequate.

I eliminate the problem by having the grand kids that want to "do something" cut lite ply gussets on the band saw. Grain direction is unimportant,just cut up old extra pieces..
When I need them, a quick pass over the disc sander gives me the correct angles.
And I use more than are required too.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:14 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Maximum strength comes from installing the grain that-a way....That doesn't mean the minimum strength is not adequate.
So very true. I did consider that, although I know that I would have kept thinking about it. Not if they were strong enough, but that they weren't right. Know what I mean?

EJWash
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:25 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
U2, thanks. I'm plodding along, but having a great time shaping and glueing wood together as usual.

EJWash
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:51 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post

I eliminate the problem by having the grand kids that want to "do something" cut lite ply gussets on the band saw. Grain direction is unimportant,just cut up old extra pieces..
When I need them, a quick pass over the disc sander gives me the correct angles.
And I use more than are required too.
I'm with you. I cut'm and use'm.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:44 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Well, being under the weather is no fun. Spent some time in the shop, mostly just staring at the bottom wing's rear spar. Reminded me of Michael Crichton's novel Airframe (1996). In the novel, Crichton (correctly) describes that an aircraft's main spar is the most important member and that everything rides on the main spar. That the compromise of the main spar and the aircraft will bring an aircraft down. The Waco's wing is built by starting with the rear spar, adding the center section spars and ribs, and adding the rest of the "bits-n-pieces" outward from there. I find it a really poetic process.

EJWash
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:42 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,200 Posts
I'm with you on the satisfaction.....Those parts lining up as a team....

I dislike covering it up...I'm going to do a lot better photographing the finished frame this time.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:48 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
U2,

Have you come-up with an aileron servo installation? I'm trying to think ahead before I start getting too far on the bottom wing.

EJWash
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:01 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
U2,

Have you come-up with an aileron servo installation? I'm trying to think ahead before I start getting too far on the bottom wing.

EJWash
Yes, I chose a wider bay just outboard of the original bay. I put some basswood on the back of the front spar and the front of the rear spar and balsa on the sides of the bay, inset the thickness of plywood servo mount plate. I cut a piece of think plywood (1/16" maybe or maybe a tad thicker) to fit the space and glued on two basswood posts to screw the servo in. The plate is screwed in the corners to the basswood. I am in the process of covering the wing and have this covered up at the moment, but will take pictures later. But I think you get the idea.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder