Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:25 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Thanks. I'm using Titebond Original Wood Glue. Slow going, but I like working with it. I use a small, flat artist's brush to put the glue where I want it, and clamp the piece on. It's slow going, clamping time is thirty-minutes. So I glue and clamp and turn my attention to something else.

1/8" sheeting too? My wing sheeting is 1/16".

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:13 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Ah, no E.J., my wing sheeting is 1/16" too. The fuselage sheeting in the nose and around the cockpit is 1/8" which is thicker than the 3/32" I usually encounter, and nice to work with as it is less likely to split.

Your application of glue is very nice. It is where your clamping system pays off. I used to use Titebond, but it would take zillions of pins and clothespins and stuff and if it isn't clamped well it doesn't really work well as you know.

I'll get a picture of the tailwheel posted later today.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:54 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Photo's per request

E.J., here are a couple pictures of the tailwheel.

I have also posted some pictures of the fuselage to show the extent of the sheeting as requested by PM by a fellow Waco enthusiast who is rebuild one that the previous Owner fully sheeted.

E.J., I received Sparky's dummy radial engine, which looks like it will do the trick. Thanks.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:12 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
U2,

Thanks for the pic of the tailwheel.

I'm out to the wingtip on the top left wing panel. Like you referred, they leave a lot to the imagination. I checked all the plan sheets for any details - none. The manual instructs to "remove" the bottom of W-7 & W-8, but I'll have to see what's going on once I have the wing tip in place. Interestingly, my kit came with styrofoam wingtip blocks. Not going to be using those. I'll have to make a trip to the LHS later.

I see that your kit came with one-piece 1/4" outboard wing trailing edges (W-13) and aileron leading edges. With my kit, those pieces are laminated from 1/8" material. I made solid ones instead. I didn't see in your pics of the ailerons, did you double-taper the face of the leading edges so the hinges are centered?

EJWash
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:50 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Hey E.J. ,

Yeah, not much info on wingtips. Removing the bottom of W-7 and 8 is something you will do after you glue on the wingtip. You will see at this point that the bottom of these ribs stick down. I sanded them away by sanding parallel to the bottom of the wing tip. I thing as you start looking at it it will become clear what you will need to do. Yes, I think balsa edge blocks would be easier to sand nicely and also help tie the wingtip on.

My kit did come with solid aileron and outboard wood. The ends were pretapered to a tip. I believe the profile on top and bottom is slightly different as the tops of the spars were marked to indicate top. With regard to the aileron, I glued the spar and ribs to the bottom, then tapered the top of the spar to match the rib profile, glued on the top sheet, drew a center line one the spar, and then sanded the taper into the top and bottom to meet the centerline so yes, the hingers are centered. Mark the top and bottom ones as the bottom ones have the aileron horn wood in it and once they are covered the all look the same.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:24 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
I like it. This should save lots of pinholes, too.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:25 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Very nice work E.J. I can really see how the board pays off. And it works great with a slow drying glue. You have time to get everything perfect. It is always a trick to get ribs vertical with pins .... with the magnets not so much.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:38 PM
United States, IL, Cordova
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Thanks EJ much aprciated.
mcsaplik is offline Find More Posts by mcsaplik
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:19 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Got a lot of little "stuff" done yesterday, just no pics to post.

Won't get any shop time until the end of this coming week.

EJWash
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:27 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post

Won't get any shop time until the end of this coming week.

EJWash
That's what you get for working for a living.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:27 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
That's what you get for working for a living.
OUCH! LOL!

At this point though, I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hoping that its NOT a train!

EJWash
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:01 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
Lol
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:11 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Got in a few hours today and framed-up the right side of the top wing and installed the wingtip blocks. U2, now I know what you meant by the wingtip outcome being up to the builder. I referenced a few pics of the full-size YMF-3/5 to get some perspective.

Busy week ahead, so no shop time until later in the week.

EJWash
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:01 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Hey E.J. ,

Your building board looks more like a precision assembly station in a clean room somewhere. Your pictures have no junk in the background. The photos could be in an instruction manual. That mag board continues to look great.