HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:14 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Discussion
Pica Waco YMF3 1/6 Scale Build

Well, we are solidily into winter here in NH. I am trying to do some FPV flying with my multicopters whenever we happen to have a quiet day, but it is time to head to the workshop and start building my Pica Waco kit.

I typically get ahead of myself and forget to take pictures, not to mention forgetting to do the build in the proper sequence. Each time I tell myself that "this time I am going to take my time" but really, it is not my nature. So I am again "off the the races".

Let me introduce the kit. This is a 1/6 standoff scale Waco YMF3. It has a wingspan of around 60" and is supposed to come in at around 7 lbs or so. I suspect the wingspan at least will me the target. The weight may be a little heavier.

The box says it is for .45 to .60 engines (2S I assume) so I figure a 4 stroke Saito hunnert will work for me and that is what I have planned.

It is always hard to start a new kit. They are just so pristine and nice I hate to mess them up. But I dug in a few days ago and started punching out wing ribs. The die cutting was pretty good. I didn't see any identification so I just tried to match them up by studing the plans. Just about when I finished and after they were all punched out I found the sheet identification buried in the middle of the "manual". Oh well.

I typically like building from the "plans". I have a hard time reading the manuals with my somewhat poor eyesight. Unfortunately, I find the Waco plans to have very minimal building information. Not only that, but the manual is very small, the writing is even smaller, and the description of what to do leaves a bit to be desired. Not only that, but this bipe builds quite a bit differently than the half dozen others I have built. So it is a bit of a puzzle, a good thing I guess.

Anyway, this thread is hopefully going to be more of a conversation than a build thread. I'll try to take a few pictures when I remember. Suggestions, as always, are most welcome. I believe E.J. is going to do a similar Waco build from a Dave Platt kit, form which, I believe, the Pica kit was derived. It will be fun to compare notes!

Here are a few pictures of the "box."
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:30 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
One of the first things I do when I start a build is to struggle with how to cover the plane and what "scheme" to use. I have a lot of planes and I try to make them all a little different. I like to choose a scheme that I can "see" in the air.

After using Solartex on my Steaman, it was pretty much a no brainer to decide to use it on the Waco. I love working with it. I like the pre colored stuff as I hate painting. I'll clearcoat it with Stits Polytone clear.

I was going to do White with Blue trim because I see it well against the green hills that surround my field, but then I decided it was boring. So I am going to do the classic Waco Red which I will trim with the Yellow I have left from the Stearman project. I'll do the scheme on the box but instead of Blue and Cream I will be doing Red and Yellow. Decision made, more easily than usual.

Red is probably the worst color for me to see but I figure I'll be flying the Waco up close and person with the sun on my back so it should be OK.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:38 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,199 Posts
Oh those blisters !

I don't blame you at all for buying a Fiberglass cowl, man....All that work on the plastic ones.

I did a monocoupe years ago,blisters glued on with thick C/A, totally sealed to the base.....I painted it black as per a full sized one...One july day we heard a pop!,and one had over heated so much it popped loose....We drill small holes inside the cowl for the rest to breathe.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:39 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,776 Posts
Beauty!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:37 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
ALRIGHT!

Hopefully I won't be too long behind you.

Yep, looks just like my Dave Platt kit, box pic and all. One thing that leapt out at me though, my kit does not have the aileron corrugations. Not sure if they went missing from the kit (before I got it - used) or if the kit did not include them back then. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:45 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
ALRIGHT!

Hopefully I won't be too long behind you.

Yep, looks just like my Dave Platt kit, box pic and all. One thing that leapt out at me though, my kit does not have the aileron corrugations. Not sure if they went missing from the kit (before I got it - used) or if the kit did not include them back then. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

EJWash
Well, maybe they were a late edition. They are not mentioned in the manual or shown on the plans. Basically the plans show built up balsa ailerons. I guess the intention may be to glue these on the outside of the built up ailerons. I'll see when I get there. The plastic is fairly heavy at over 3 oz.

Now the photo on the box does show corrugated ailerons. Does your box photo show them?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:43 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,914 Posts
I built one of the last 1/6 Wacos that Pica produced. It had the aileron corrugations. They looked great, but produced a heavy aileron.

Your 100 will provide plenty of power. I had a .91 Surpass in mine, and seldom flew it at over 1/2 throttle.

I thoroughly enjoyed building my Waco. I'm sure that you will enjoy yours, too.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:03 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Hey Tom, thanks for checking in, and already with some helpful information. I may or may not use the plastic aileron corrugation. I'll have a better idea when I get there.

Thanks for the picture. The Waco looks right at home in the pasture.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:39 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I've built the top wing. It is a bit different as it is a flat bottom profile so it is built by pinning the bottom center sheeting to the board and building on top of it. Once the center is done, the leading edge and trailing edge sheeting for one side is pinned to the board and the the spars and ribs are built on top of it. Then the other side is built the same way. There is dihedral so each side is built while it is pinned down to board.

I added shear webs to the wings because it seemed like a sensible thing to do. I thought the connections between the center and outboard sections of the wing was a bit weak so I added some addional bracing. If I had focused on this sooner I might have used some CF tape. Maybe I will on the bottom wing if I remember.

The plans are pretty sketchy as to how to do the wing tips. I think I got them right.

While I was thinking about using Titebond type glue because of my CA allergy, in the end it is all CA, some thin for things like the ribs which are placed first and then glued, a some medium for the wing sheeting and and all the parts that are laid on top of the sheeting.

The ribs are sturdy 1/8" so no worries about breaking them and no cap strips. The wing as shown weighs about 11 oz which is a tad heavier than most of the bipe wings of this size that I build, likely due to the heavier wing ribs.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,199 Posts
I think the corrugations were standard kit fare.They certainly add to the flavor of the plane.
I used Morrisey Bravo sheets from Sig on a 1/4 scale YMF-5,years ago.They had the pre-formed sheets available before the 'sale'.Becky couldn't find them afterwards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:08 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,914 Posts
Since you're al;ready buiding the wings, I'd like to suggest that you modify the N-strut mounting system.

I have no suggestions as to how to do it, but the Pica system was lame. Mine broke before I performed the maiden.

The wing is strong enough, built stock, to fly without the struts, so that's what I did.

Also, if I remember correctly, the top wing is mounted using sheet metal screws. I'd change that to bolts and blind nuts.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,199 Posts
I'd like to see you add a triangular block on the outside of the last rib,at the leading edge.
The full scale has a rounded section there....the way it is now the covering will pull down,and leave a concave shape...
That just won't please my eye at all. The two braces should be sanded away until the covering doesn't touch them.
But it's your airplane.........lol. I'm lovin' it !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:16 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,302 Posts
On My Zlin build the aileron corrugations are made using some plastic angle. The aileron is sheeted and then the angles are glued on with CA. Looks pretty good after its painted from the photos I've seen. Photo here http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...50&KW=zlin+526

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:19 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,914 Posts
I did the same thing on my Cessna 195.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:15 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Great ideas guys. Thanks a lot.

I get the mods to the wingtips. Good suggestion.

I also appreciate the N strut heads up. The Pica method is stranged because you are supposed to skin the wing, cover it, and then put in the little nylon fittings, and then, as I understand it, pin them in below the wing skin, which is an impossible sequence. Since I don't need an easy to remove wing I'll try to come up with something else. Every Bipe I have uses a different system. Since I've already built the wing I'll have to use something that works with what I have.

I think I'll try to do something like you guys did for your ailerons. I don't want to put three ounces of plastic over mine if I don't have to.