HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:02 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Build Log
FMS V7.5 P-51 BBD: The Tail Feathers!

The mods on the BBD's Tail Feathers!

There wasn't a lot that needed to be done on the BBD's tail feathers, but as my nature, I managed to find a few things to mod.

Because FMS has already taken the initiative to adequately install spars in both the elevator and two control surfaces, that mod was no longer needed.
They've also added a joiner between the two control surfaces, which most of us have been doing for a couple years now, which now eliminates the need for two control links running to the control horns.
Another kudo to FMS for these new control horns. They're much stronger, and with the correct screws included, not to mention the nice indexing, they are a breeze to install. They've even included the rubber retainer rings for the clevis as well!

During my re-hinging mod I did discover something new. Usually it's quite easy to slice thru the foam hinging, but on this occasion I found that there was some kind of gummy substance clogging up my knife? On closer inspection it appears that FMS has now added some kind of substance to the foam hinge surfaces to eliminate the proverbial dilapidation that occurs over time. Others have mentioned that FMS has recommended smearing their assembly glue over the hinging now, so I guess that might be what it is? In my case the glue, or whatever it is, was put on before the paint process, so I don't know how it would work over paint?
Having removed all the control surfaces, elevator & rudder, I proceeded to install 3 super hinges on each of the units using CA.

Again, as my nature, I wanted to install a rear beacon light to the BBD. I did this same mod to my Starmax P-51 and so far it has worked great!

To do so, I had to add a fixture for the 3mm Flat top LED I intended to use. K&S #104 3/16" x .014 aluminum tubing proved to be the perfect conduit for my purposes. I cut a piece 1/2" long and embedded it in the lower section of the rudder with CA. Once it was dry I used Squadron putty to fill in the recesses, and sanded everything smooth.

I already had some of these 3mm flat top white LEDs in stock so that is what I've used for now, but I am thinking I might change over to a red LED when they arrive. Because I plan to run this 3.0v-3.4v LED in conjunction with the 5v system already on board the plane, I needed to install a 68 Ohm resistor in line to reduce the voltage to the LED.

The hardest aspect of this installation is deciding how and where I was going to route the 32ga. wire. All I needed to do is figure a way to get the wire lead from the rudder to the tail wheel bay. From there it was easy to just follow the tail wheel E-Tract lead to the cockpit. After some diligent planning I settled on a path that would work. I drilled a 1/8" hole from the light fixture to the pivot point of the rudder. Because there is a nylon mount in the fuse for the elevator, I had to offset the hole to the tail wheel bay just slightly to the right. So when I drilled the hole from the vert. stab pivot point to the off-set fuse hole, I took that into account. With all the wire channels drilled it was just a matter of fishing the wire thru all the components and getting it in the tail wheel bay and onto the cockpit.

Once the hinging, re-paint of the rudder, and the beacon light installation, it was time to install the tail feathers. There are 3 anchor points to secure the assembly in the tail. One to secure the elevator, and two (one accessed thru the tail wheel bay) to secure the vertical stab. I was able to use a couple of the included 2.6 x 25mm screws in the two vert. stab points, but the 2.6 x 25mm screw for the elevator mount was way to short. I ended up using a 3mm x 30mm screw to get the vert. stab secured in place.
NOTE* I suggest running all the screws into their respective nylon anchors prior to final assembly to establish some threading before hand. It will also clean out any residual glue if there is some (there was a slight amount in the rear vert. stab anchor in mine). Getting any of those screwed half way in is no time to discover a problem, as these phillips screws can't endure a lot of twisting!

With the tail feathers installed, and the beacon flashing, it's onto the next mod!
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Feb 15, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:12 AM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Thanks for posting this! Plan on getting the same plane once back in stock so following your blogs/posts closely! What CA are you using for the rehinging? I tried rehinging my FMS 1400 Corsair with CA hinges and it was a mess. The glue would not set! I used thin CA. Tried both foam safe and regular, neither worked.
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:26 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy View Post
Thanks for posting this! Plan on getting the same plane once back in stock so following your blogs/posts closely! What CA are you using for the rehinging? I tried rehinging my FMS 1400 Corsair with CA hinges and it was a mess. The glue would not set! I used thin CA. Tried both foam safe and regular, neither worked.
You can use either glue on EPO, foam safe or regular, but regular works better on EPO.

When I was using CA (fiberglass) hinges I had good success with GP Medium+ CA. Medium is a slower setting glue, plus it is as stated "gap filling", and it gives you some time to make adjustments before it sets.

I too had difficulty using the thin CA with those CA hinges. Like you said, what a mess, plus 90% of the time I would get it in the hinging area. Not to mention trying to hurry to seat all the hinges before the first one set! I've since started using the Super hinges from HK. They are nylon plus they have a dam on each side to prevent the glue from seeping into areas you don't want. It took me 10 mins. to re-hinge the tail feathers, and that's counting the time it took to slice the gaps.

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:32 AM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
You can use either glue on EPO, foam safe or regular, but regular works better on EPO.

When I was using CA (fiberglass) hinges I had good success with GP Medium+ CA. Medium is a slower setting glue, plus it is as stated "gap filling", and it gives you some time to make adjustments before it sets.

I too had difficulty using the thin CA with those CA hinges. Like you said, what a mess, plus 90% of the time I would get it in the hinging area. Not to mention trying to hurry to seat all the hinges before the first one set! I've since started using the Super hinges from HK. They are nylon plus they have a dam on each side to prevent the glue from seeping into areas you don't want. It took me 10 mins. to re-hinge the tail feathers, and that's counting the time it took to slice the gaps.

Gary
Got my BBD yesterday and will be starting the build this week. Also got the super hinges. What glue did you use for those? I was planning on using gap filling regular CA.

Your blogs are great, thanks for the info!
Old Apr 04, 2013, 12:30 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Got my BBD yesterday and will be starting the build this week. Also got the super hinges. What glue did you use for those? I was planning on using gap filling regular CA.

Your blogs are great, thanks for the info!
That's what I use as well, gap fill med. CA

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2013, 06:20 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Thanks. Only re hinged my tail feathers, left everything else stock hinge. Didn't care for the haze that the CA left around everywhere I used it. I have had that problem before. Not sure if it just how I use it or if that is a CA thing. Anyway, I have two flights on my BBD already and she works great. One landing was smooth, the other I bounced a bit but no damage.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:28 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Only re hinged my tail feathers, left everything else stock hinge. Didn't care for the haze that the CA left around everywhere I used it. I have had that problem before. Not sure if it just how I use it or if that is a CA thing. Anyway, I have two flights on my BBD already and she works great. One landing was smooth, the other I bounced a bit but no damage.
I agree on the hazy residue, that's why I like to use medium CA, a lot less runny.
RCG Plus Member