HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Jan 2010
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFlyer451 View Post
Brettbb,

Just a clarification question on the trigger release. Referring to your photos in #9, Is the release pin simply held in place by the tension of the pin against the launcher tray/plate? And when you push down on the extension sticking out of the end with your foot, it releases the launcher plate?

How is that foot release tube attached inside the larger, longer rail?

Thank you,
M
If you look at post #9 picture 2, I have made a red circle around the rivets that hold the 12mm square tube in. The pin is a partly threaded bolt with its head cut off and is bolted through the 12mm square tube diagonally.

The distance between the rivets and the pin is about 500mm which gives it enough flex to create a "spring". When you push down on the 12mm bar it flexes pushing the pin down.

Hope that makes sense.
brettbb is offline Find More Posts by brettbb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:26 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2013
176 Posts
That clears the release pin up, thanks a lot.
FireFlyer451 is online now Find More Posts by FireFlyer451
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:23 AM
RID
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
You have heard. Catapult is not so safe. At disrupting the truck off the hook, it can bring harm. Look at the video and see, the probability of injury.
Longer use the catapult, the higher the probability of malfunction-zi wear.
I would advise you to make an additional retainer pin.
After preparing a catapult shoot additional lock with a cord. Catapult ready to launch.
P.S. I apologize for my English.
RID is offline Find More Posts by RID
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:01 AM
United States, WA, Bremerton
Joined May 2009
469 Posts
What grips the aircraft to the mount?

In other words if I just set my Zephyr on there, what's to keep the catapult from pulling out from underneath it?

Nice design!
ScottTurchin is offline Find More Posts by ScottTurchin
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,166 Posts
Subscribed.

This is a simple and elegant solution.
Per the previous post. How well does the X8 grip to the sled, and has it damaged the wing in any way with the launch force?

Cheers

Matt
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:32 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Great design..
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:44 PM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
682 Posts
The x8 does not get damaged during launch.
You can see that the creator strategically positioned the pushing plates exactly at the spot where the wings join with the fuse.
That spot is heavily reinforced foam with double wooden plates where the cf spars go through.
Sakis
sgrouts is online now Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:39 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,640 Posts
can this be used to launch hi performance (150+mph)stykers and funjets
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,166 Posts
I think it's a good idea for most fun jets. But if the funjet is too powerful it just torque rolls on launch and this launch angle would not work.

This is my FunJet, and it rolls at least 5 or 6 times on launch before I have any aileron authority, therefore I have to do vertical hand launch..

Fastest Funjet Ultra 184MPH (296km/h) (2 min 9 sec)

But if we could rig this catapult to also do a vertical launch it would be great. I would need to enhance it so I could go say half throttle and it would have a hold down mechanism that unlocked at the end of the rail, otherwise it would jump off the blocks early.

Cheers

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
can this be used to launch hi performance (150+mph)stykers and funjets
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:27 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
I think it's a good idea for most fun jets. But if the funjet is too powerful it just torque rolls on launch and this launch angle would not work.

This is my FunJet, and it rolls at least 5 or 6 times on launch before I have any aileron authority, therefore I have to do vertical hand launch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26B39689ct8

But if we could rig this catapult to also do a vertical launch it would be great. I would need to enhance it so I could go say half throttle and it would have a hold down mechanism that unlocked at the end of the rail, otherwise it would jump off the blocks early.

Cheers

Matt
that funjet is past hi performance , that is more like extreme performance.i have the proper parts to get to that level ,but my skills arent ,so the parts are still in my parts bin.my funjet/strykers are only pushing 140 level and maybe 150 on a dive . so i dont think i would need a vertical set up, the way this lauch is set up now" the unlocking mech woud be viable for my application" ,since i have just a slight torque roll when i hand launch my ships.. i can see why yours would need a more vertical aproach.,
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:04 PM
What goes up... Will crash!
United States, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jan 2012
215 Posts
Any way that the cart/holder could be modified so that the tail of nonflying wing aircraft wouldn't hit it on takeoff? i.e the regular Skywalker?
wdog is offline Find More Posts by wdog
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottTurchin View Post
What grips the aircraft to the mount?

In other words if I just set my Zephyr on there, what's to keep the catapult from pulling out from underneath it?

Nice design!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
Subscribed.

This is a simple and elegant solution.
Per the previous post. How well does the X8 grip to the sled, and has it damaged the wing in any way with the launch force?

Cheers

Matt
Have a look at the 2 pictures attached. It clearly shows how the wing slots into place. Im sure it will launch a zephyr perfectly as it is.
There is no damage done to the wing what so ever.
brettbb is offline Find More Posts by brettbb
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:23 AM
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Feb 2013
154 Posts
It's the simplicity which makes it so genious. A very convincing concept and build!

Question: You've made kind of 'clamps' around the wing. Is this to prevent the wing from pitching up upon launch? Or would a 90 degree upwards pointing pusher at the lower end suffice as well?
emax is offline Find More Posts by emax
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:00 AM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,046 Posts
With increasing tension your gantry is going to always slam into the end of your launcher. May I suggest you lengthen the launcher and put the attachment point for the bands about 1.5 foot back and looped underneath. Thus when the plane launches the bands will self brake the gantry,
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Aug 2008
367 Posts
I think I will make such device too. Do you have any licensing policy?
My main problem is getting latex 10mm tube. Is there any internet shop with it? I have found something here but the prices are insane...
Regards
Michal
tty044 is offline Find More Posts by tty044