Subscribed. I just can't look away.
RMeadows is offline Find More Posts by RMeadows
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:23 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
Good and Bad

I actually started work on them both yesterday...Got the spruce spar stock,and started cutting the symmetrical ribs for the Xtreme. then the band saw blade broke.and that WAS the spare !

I'm going to bluff my way through the 'Xtreme' build, because there are no 3-views available yet.
I have the longer gear legs shaped, a 14% symmetrical airfoil, and the squared-off horizontal should be easy enough..

EJ bandied around the indiscretions of the actual scale ratios,and I'm going to make the fuselages a tad longer.

The right Citabria wing is in the fixture, ready for assembly...And it's raining ....PERFECT !
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:58 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
The ribs are showing.

The blade's installed ,and the rest of the ribs are cut.14% thickness...6-1/2 % below the center line,7-1/2% above....almost symmetrical..I've increased the aileron chord by 1",and the length by 1 bay.....This baby should ROLL ! Wings are 'clipped' to a "scale" 30' .Not sure of the true wingspan of the Full size, so let's err on the 'fun' side.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
Two right wings !

I'm showing some pics of my wing "fixture",which uses aluminum angles to hold ribs in place for gluing.
This wing is the Nosen one,built just according to the plans.

I'll make history today,making two RIGHT wings...(one flat bottomed ,one symmetrical)..
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:17 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,435 Posts
Two right wings?!?! Your crazy

Joking aside, great job. Good idea on the jig.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:15 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
Icy greeting

Holy Cow !
I just remembered what cold weather feels like-popped my head out the door to 19 Deg. and WIND !

I'm glad I don't build bridges ! I can look out the shop window and see contractors putting the finishing touches on the Railroad bridge near my house.Carhardts and Lime green vests everywhere.
When finished,it'll make my trips to the LHS 3 miles shorter.

UPS delivered the Decathlon Cowl and wheelpants yesterday.Just great work on those things-see Fiberglass Specialties for all your needs.
I'm going to revert to C/A for the rest of the build- I'm restless that time goes by,waiting for glue to dry..
Since I'm building two fuselages,I'm changing my routine,and cutting double the amounts of vertical,diagonal,and crosspieces, from the plans.
And with that, he stepped out the door.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:38 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Too late?
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
Shear webbing

I got all the shear webbing installed,and lots of small pieces.

A word of wisdom...I had stack sanded all those diecrunched ribs, on the belt sander,and they matched, when I shuffled them like cards..

I also stack sanded the plywood ribs with each other, but not with the balsa ones.

Do you realise how hard plywood is to sand down, when the rib is already installed? Yeeccchh.

Luckily, only two are glued in...I'll get the others first.....Stack sand ALL the same size ribs at one time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:02 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,263 Posts
Best come-up with a way to identify the flat-bottom wing panels from the symmetrical ones or things are gonna get *very* interesting if you takeoff with an intermix...

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
Simple solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
Best come-up with a way to identify the flat-bottom wing panels from the symmetrical ones or things are gonna get *very* interesting if you takeoff with an intermix...

EJWash
I figured that all out-TWO airplanes ! Different colors ! The xtreme will be Red- I haven't decided on the color of the Citabria yet.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Jan 19, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:54 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I figured that all out-TWO airplanes ! Different colors ! The xtreme will be Red- I haven't decided on the color of the Citabria yet.
Touche...

EJWash
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:32 PM
United States, PA, Gap
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
A question to Epoxy Earl or other posters what is the difference between a authentic Norsen kit and a A and A kit. I can only remember seeing ads which I beleive were listed as A and A Industries Norsen kits.
balsa sticks is offline Find More Posts by balsa sticks
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:05 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa sticks View Post
what is the difference between a authentic Norsen kit and a A and A kit.
I have both kits and the only difference I found was quality. Putting my Nosen kit it a 10, my A and A kit is a 5-6. The die-cut parts of the A and A kit are about a 5 compared to "fall out of the sheet" die-cut parts of any kit.

EJWash
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
I can't compare them,but the A&A is as much work as a scratch build...At least half the plywood parts need to be cut from the "die-cut" sheets, and a lesser man would quit building because of the poor quality.

If you'll look at some of the early photos,you'll see the bad shape the ribs were in,and the amount of work required to make them usable.

I was interested in the plans set to build one from scratch,and decided to continue the build as encouragement for someone who has a kit,and might give up for the work involved.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:55 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
I took the first right wing out of the fixture,and I'm setting up for the the first symmetrical wing.

Gonna be a day or so,till I get the baseboard heaters the proper amperage.It got COLD! here.A little snow was just what I needed to get me inside,to seriously start building.
RCG Plus Member