HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:48 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,579 Posts
It's all fun, Earl. Some parts are just more fun than others.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:27 AM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Got me hooked, Earl. I have read many your build logs and I find your mannerism of writing to be very entertaining and enjoyable. Looking forward to being along for the ride on this one.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:36 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,820 Posts
Stronger stilts

One modification is the landing gear. Since I'm modeling the American-Xtreme version of the Decathlon, the gear is taller to accomodate a larger prop diameter.
_Works for me ! I had on hand a Rascal 110 gear which is skinnier in 'chord',and thicker in thickness...-Two birds, one rock !....a little hacksawing and reshaping, and we have that completed.

I gotta go get some Homosote, to start the building-all the work benches are full of airplanes.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:28 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,440 Posts
Fantastic! I was thinking about building mine after this (and my next) project, hopefully this spring!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:22 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,820 Posts
Second notice

I just had a bad experience,with a kit and no plans.
I do solemnly swear that each kit I have will have the plans copied and safely stored away.
Bearing that in mind,we loaded the minivan with friends and headed 25 miles away to the copyshop.....We don't have to go that far, but it's time spent with friends, jabberjawing, and visiting the Airport.
The Nosen/A&A plans are black on blue, and that may be important to a collector.....We'll get black on white,twice, to build on and save. The store has a new girl working there. We had to show her how to do it, and they STILL charged us for the plans.!
If we taught her well, we'll get a second copy free from now on....We told her it was "store policy"...
As a pure point of reference, two pages of excellently reproduced plans were $11.90, tax included. A good deal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:42 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
I decided to keep my eyes open for a used large-format scanner. This way I can make my own .pdf files of my plans and then I'll just need to bring the file into FedEx Office for printing.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
I decided to keep my eyes open for a used large-format scanner. This way I can make my own .pdf files of my plans and then I'll just need to bring the file into FedEx Office for printing.

EJWash
I'm so computer stupid,that I can't open files that Chad sent me ! I can only print two of 16 tiles ! I can't open "Zip" files -the computer wants to know what program to use to open them,and IT stored them away ! Shazam !!!

Community College for a course, I reckon...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:04 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Subscribing... Big Citabria/DeCathlon fan here. I have a GreatPlanes version I built about 20yrs ago. The Nosen is a classic kit version of this plane in my mind.

Love these planes.... da bigger da better..
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Subscribing... Big Citabria/DeCathlon fan here. I have a GreatPlanes version I built about 20yrs ago. The Nosen is a classic kit version of this plane in my mind.

Love these planes.... da bigger da better..
Welcome.I'm building the stock winged Citabria,and a set of symmetrical Decathlon wings also, for the same fuselage...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,820 Posts
WHOA ! Nellie !

Well people just mislead you all the time..The Citabria Decathlon has a wingspan of 32 feet. That would make a 96" wingspan, at 1/4 scale.Fair enough...But my Nosen kit is 105+ inches...What scale percentage is that?

If the Plain Jane Citabria had a W.S. of about 36 feet that would work out.

Does anyone know?-Don't make me look for it.....

CORRECTION / UPDATE---The Decathlon XTREME has a 32' wingspan,and 210 horsepower.With a taller landing gear for clearance for a longer prop.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Jan 13, 2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:59 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
I just checked my Nosen kit box and it advertises a wingspan of 105.75". The Citabria has a wingspan of 33' 5", so the Nosen kit is a 3.63-scale representation of the Citabria wingspan-wise. With the Decathlon's 32' 0" wingspan, you'll have a 4.38-scale representation wingspan-wise. But not so fast...

The Citabria has a length of 22' 9". The Nosen kit box shows a length of 62.75". This means the length of this kit represents 4.35-scale for the Citabria, and a 4.38-scale representation for the Decathlon (full-size length 22' 11"). Meaning that for both the Citabria and the Decathlon, the kit is short-coulpled compared to their full-size counters.

EJWash
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:39 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
I mentioned that I had abandoned converting my Nosen Citabria kit to a Decathlon by changing the ribs from flat bottomed to semi-symetrical. I really wanted the performance of a Decathlon. What I ended-up doing was ordering a set of the Hostetler 30% Decathlon (115") plans and getting a laser cut short kit (Laser Lizard). Your question about scale got me curious, so I ran the numbers. The Hostetler plans are 3.361-scale of the full-size Decathlon in wingspan and 3.339-scale in length.

The 30% Hostetler calls for 3-6 cu. in. in power, but I haven't committed to a mill as of yet. G-62?

EJWash
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:33 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,820 Posts
Stump puller

We have a Hostetler Cessna 206, with a 120" wing. When the owner asked me to test fly it, the usual rumblings started at the field....."A G-62 in THAT tank?"

I was up to the challenge, and Zenoah was too.I don't weigh any model airplanes, but I know 40 lbs, when I pick it up !

The first takeoff was long,but I felt the airplane get 'light', 'way before I rotated.I did all the usual test flight things, at less than full power.Just before landing, I firewalled it and chandelled up to a decent glide altitude.There was plenty of power to fly that fast airplane.

My personal formula for power is 1 cubic inch for 12 lbs of airplane..The 3.7 cu.in. Zenoah G-62 has reserve power at that weight. 22 x 10 Zinger prop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:38 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
Just found your thread. I'm in.
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Just found your thread. I'm in.
Howdy-do...Listen,the Executive Designs Monocoupe build will start soon...I'll give you a heads up.
I am euphoric over that kit....20 years was long enough to wait.
I hope I can do it the justice it deserves-I'm actually nervous....a kit that nice DEMANDS your best effort.
RCG Plus Member