HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:12 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Question
is there a muffler for enya 40-4c?

recently, I bought a vintage enya 40-4c and I couldn't find a muffler for it.
not sure if there wasn't a muffler for this in the first place or just hard to find.

I did find mufflers for a similar engine type 41-4c on enya's website

1 website says the 40-4c doesn't have screw thread on the exhaust port. is it true?

http://www.enya-engine.com/accessories_E.html

Not sure if it work?
murcielago is offline Find More Posts by murcielago
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:58 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,165 Posts
The Enya .40-4C is an early '80s engine with exposed rockers.

Originally it was never intended to use a muffler and did not include one.
Its noise is not particularly offensive and it made rather little power.

The .46-4C is stronger and the angled valves .53-4C was a Thoroughbred capable of exceeding 14K!

If you want you can improvise something to quiet it down further still.
I think the muffler for the .53-4C might be suitable, if the exhaust pipe is the same diameter.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:16 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
The ASP/Magnum FS-52's exhaust hardware should be compatible...

Dear Murcielago:

The PIPE Here...I've got an Enya 46-4C AND 60-4C myself, and I've seen the exhaust port threading as being spec'ed as an M10 x 0.75mm thread, the same as used on the OS FS-40, -48 and -52 mills, and on the ASP/Magnum FS-52 four-stroker mill as well.

The ONLY engine maker that uses 1 mm thread pitch on the majority of their mills IS Saito, which only uses a 0.75mm thread pitch on their smallest FA-30S and FA-40a mills. Everyone else seems to stick to the 0.75mm thread pitch for their mills, so far as I know. I've also requested RCGroups to make a "sticky" thread for just such needs, and some responses have agreed with that idea.

The ORIGINAL Enya engine manual for both the 35-4C and 40-4C are available here as an Adobe Reader PDF format file, in case you might not have one - and if you contact W. Bill Jensen at his engine repair website, it's quite likely HE could get you the original part, or one that can fit your mill, as he's now become the North American distributor for Enya four-stroke mills and their parts.

Hope these linked lines of text can help get you a muffler for your 40-4C mill...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,093 Posts
Or just run it without a muffler. It is probably very quiet as is.
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
I'm having a hard time finding several parts for the engines I am collecting.

carb for first gen wankel rotary engine
muffler for enya 40-4c, os fs-90, os fs-20 and saito fa-45.

ebay sellers are asking for mufflers that cost up to half the engine cost.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
Dear Murcielago:

The PIPE Here...I've got an Enya 46-4C AND 60-4C myself, and I've seen the exhaust port threading as being spec'ed as an M10 x 0.75mm thread, the same as used on the OS FS-40, -48 and -52 mills, and on the ASP/Magnum FS-52 four-stroker mill as well.

The ONLY engine maker that uses 1 mm thread pitch on the majority of their mills IS Saito, which only uses a 0.75mm thread pitch on their smallest FA-30S and FA-40a mills. Everyone else seems to stick to the 0.75mm thread pitch for their mills, so far as I know. I've also requested RCGroups to make a "sticky" thread for just such needs, and some responses have agreed with that idea.

The ORIGINAL Enya engine manual for both the 35-4C and 40-4C are available here as an Adobe Reader PDF format file, in case you might not have one - and if you contact W. Bill Jensen at his engine repair website, it's quite likely HE could get you the original part, or one that can fit your mill, as he's now become the North American distributor for Enya four-stroke mills and their parts.

Hope these linked lines of text can help get you a muffler for your 40-4C mill...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
thanks.

I saw that fs_threads.pdf before i started this thread and the reason why i asked if it had a muffler for it is because the pdf stated nothing, so i figured it there was none.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:25 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
I've got the rear camshaft OS FS-90 as well...!

Dear Murcielago:

The PIPE Here again - for the Enya mills, W. Bill Jensen IS your man, and he is sort of "in my backyard", being in New England - Bill is in CT, and I'm in MA !!

The rear camshaft OS FS-90 has an M11 x 0.75mm exhaust port thread, and can DEFINITELY take ANY muffler hardware meant for the OS FS-91 Surpass, as I've checked that combo myself quite some time ago.

The OS FS-20 MIGHT be able to use the same exhaust hardware as the FS-26 and FS-30, with the FS-30 definitely having an M9 x 0.75mm thread spec, exactly the same as the 21st century-produced Saito FA-30S enclosed drivetrain four-stroke and the currently produced FA-40a also use, and which I both have (on the two small Saito mills).

Hope these tips also help you out...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
Dear Murcielago:

The PIPE Here again - for the Enya mills, W. Bill Jensen IS your man, and he is sort of "in my backyard", being in New England - Bill is in CT, and I'm in MA !!

The rear camshaft OS FS-90 has an M11 x 0.75mm exhaust port thread, and can DEFINITELY take ANY muffler hardware meant for the OS FS-91 Surpass, as I've checked that combo myself quite some time ago.

The OS FS-20 MIGHT be able to use the same exhaust hardware as the FS-26 and FS-30, with the FS-30 definitely having an M9 x 0.75mm thread spec, exactly the same as the 21st century-produced Saito FA-30S enclosed drivetrain four-stroke and the currently produced FA-40a also use, and which I both have (on the two small Saito mills).

Hope these tips also help you out...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!

yes, i know about the fs-90 and 91 part. Found some pic where the guy swopped the mufflers between those 2 engines, not sure where's the original post.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,093 Posts
Similar to your Saito 40, the FS20 did not use a muffler.
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,535 Posts
The four engines you mention didn't come with mufflers and mufflers were never made for them. You may find some that will fit. You will have to look.

I have several Saito 45's and a couple each of the others.

The last version of the FS90 had a muffler.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:20 PM
United States, ID, Kuna
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
I bought a exhaust pipe on fleabay for my enya 60 four stroke, it was a OS 40-48 pipe. the enya 80 iis a bored out 60, so a Os pipe and muffler will work as will as any chinese clone of the Os engines mentioned
lfinney54 is offline Find More Posts by lfinney54
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:48 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,388 Posts
If you look in ht head of the 35-4C and 40-4C you'll find there is no thread! The manifold is secured with a set screw.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz