|Jan 10, 2013, 07:25 AM|
Alfa Albatros D.V
Another build - another Alfa. The Albatros D.V has always been one of my favourite WWI fighters (along with the British Bulldog and Gladiator), and is one I've had my eye on since it was first released by Alfa.
This time I used the surface mail shipping option as I had a couple of other projects underway, so opted to save a few pennies on postage.
The Albatros took 10 weeks to arrive. On opening the box - what a beautiful little aircraft - usual Alfa quality. No shipping damage, the only problem is that one of the ply blanks for the undercarriage legs and struts had a split in it right through the cabane strut. A few drops of CA fixed it.
I decided on a COBRA C-2203-46 KV1720 motor after reading positive reviews of this motor fitted to the Albatros (thanks NSG).
3 x HS35MG servos (4.5g) are on order for the control surfaces - yet to arrive.
Construction is very straight forwards - slip the tailplane into place and glue with Weldbond, checking for alignment.
With the lower wing, the centre needs to be found and positioning marked. This is important as I chose to use UHU Por (contact glue) so there is not much working time to resolve the alignment once the glue grabs. But it saves having to pin or clamp the wing while the glue dries.
Next the undercarriage wire legs were fitted. In accordance with the instructions, the legs should be pre-bent to minimise any pre-load. Glued into place with 30min Z-Epoxy. Not in the instructions, but I also made a small infill piece cut from left-over ply (from the u/c and struts) to retain the rear wires.
I decided to make the undercarriage sprung, which meant the ply u/c legs needed to be slotted for the required axle travel. A 2mm carbon rod was also cut to the required length (approx 120mm) for the "dead" axle.
The ply u/c legs were then glued to the u/c wires using 30min epoxy and micro-balloons. The carbon rod was also glued in at the same time, taking care not to let any epoxy/micro-balloons into the slots for the "live" wire axle.
Once the glue had dried, the wire axle was fitted into the slots and bound to the carbon rod with a couple of short lengths of thin rubber bands - two wraps at either end. Seems a bit stiff at the moment, but we'll see if this changes once the battery and radio gear is fitted and how the durability goes.
Nothing much left to do as the aileron servo needs to be fitted before the top wing is installed, so just a trial fit and then add the decals.
ImagesView all Images in thread
|Apr 27, 2013, 08:46 PM|
Can't believe it's been over 4 months ....
Alfa Albatros has been on hold for a long time now. The Australian distributer for HiTec seems not to have placed an order for HS35 servos since September last year and the LHS has no idea when they will next be available.
Problem is I have a set of 3 Eflight 35g servos from the shop that we thought may have been okay to use, but it seems they can't hold a candle to the HS35s on specification, plus they have one of the dinky micro connectors that would need to be changed.
The LHS has agreed to exchange the Eflight servos for the HS35s when they come in, but stuck between a rock and a hard place until that happens. Could get the servos from an Ebay shop and have them now but then will be left with the small Eflights that I don't have a use for.
Still - have been getting my Biplane fix from a "freebie" that just showed up. A semi-built Pilot Tigre Moth (25 size) .
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Build Log||Build - Alfa Albatros D.V||Wufnu||Electric Warbirds||39||Mar 04, 2012 08:18 AM|
|New Product||Alfa's New Albatros D.V||fletchace||Electric Warbirds||75||Feb 14, 2009 12:22 AM|
|Question||Alfa Albatros D V||aldog||Electric Warbirds||3||Dec 27, 2008 02:14 PM|
|New Product||Alfa Albatros D.V||stuart warne||Electric Warbirds||18||Jun 30, 2008 08:22 AM|
|New Product||Alfa Albatros D.V||stuart warne||Parkflyers||0||May 31, 2008 04:18 AM|