HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:21 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
OK, I understand. I was just kidding, of course. The GS is quite expensive at US $249.99. It's too bad they don't offer it also as a BNF for about US $199.99. That's fine if they sell it completely ready to fly for first time RC pilots, but nearly everyone that is currently flying does not need the DX4e.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:58 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
+1 to that.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Anyone bought this as their plane?

I will be buying my first plane in a week or so but cannot make my mind up which to go for as I really like the Glasair but also like the firebird stratos and the super club
nbaker is offline Find More Posts by nbaker
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:38 PM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Mine should be arriving today or tomorrow. I have a Super Cub already, so after I maiden the Glasair I will post my thoughts and a comparison of the two.
TexasRob is offline Find More Posts by TexasRob
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:35 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
cant wait to get some reviews on this thing as a beginners aileron airplane with that tech. been reading much about it
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaker View Post
Anyone bought this as their plane?

I will be buying my first plane in a week or so but cannot make my mind up which to go for as I really like the Glasair but also like the firebird stratos and the super club
Don't fret over that decision - get all three of them! I bought the Super Cub first and really enjoyed it's docile flying style. It is SO relaxing to fly. Then when the Stratos came out, I just had to have one of them. It flies faster than the SC but the built in Virtual Instructor (VI) makes it real easy and fun to fly. I love the sound of the twin motors and how the sound changes as the plane is turned. Now this gorgeous looking Glasair Sportsman comes out with an upgraded Virtual Instructor - I had to have it also.

I'm still waiting for a calm day to maiden my Glasair but I'm confident it will be easy to fly. I don't plan on selling or retiring any of these planes as each has it's own style and I'm not tired of flying any of them. Bottom line, an RC pilot can't have too many planes! .
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:26 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
I bought the Glasair 2 weeks ago at my local shop figured this plane would be a great trainer for my son. With all the features this plane has just about anyone can fly it. I took it up for the first flight to check the system and trim the bird up. Virtual instructor on and low rate the plane will fly its self the mixing is superb in turns smooth as its advertised.The virtual instuctor makes it nearly impossible to make a mistake a fata one. All one has to do is releas the sticks and the plane will rite its self. Instructor off gave this big bird new life it does nice rolls and some other easy aerobatics. Flight was smooth as silk and I found the plane to be a joy to fly. Under complete control no virtual instructor this plane requies constant input and pilot mixing to insure nice flat turns and smooth flight at no time is it a beginer plane under virtual pilot OFF. I will say some sim time will help a new pilot get used to the controls, but I recomend using the virtual pilot feature first to see how the plane flies and get used to the controls the pilot feature can be turned off in steps as the pilot progresses, untill he or she can fly the plane without it. I HIGHLY RECOMEND a new pilot do this. I landed the plane let everything settle a bit dropped in a new battery and handed the controls to my son. Instructed flight from the virtual instructor proved to be nice for him and I didnt have to help him one bit in the air. Having time to watch the plane in flight it looks very scale and even with my son bouncing his landing everything seemed to in good condition after the flight. Im happy with this plane I think its a great trainer perfect for a beginer WITH someone seasoned to take control if things go amiss. I will try and get some flight video this weekend if the weather holds up. This plane is very big and a very nice FPV platform I will at some point buy one for myself for that purpose. This is an easy plane to assemble took all of 10 min and 5 min to flight check Its built nicely and looks absolutly Beautiful I think it would do much better with at least a DX61to have some more setting options but all in all the DX4e felt good in my hands and sent comands with lightning speed to the plane The DX4e is requierd to be used with the trainer system but once a new pilot can take full controll I would suggest a better radio.I will spend a week with this bird and post a good review of everything I have already started from unboxing pictures to building and into first flight tests.
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:39 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
Don't fret over that decision - get all three of them!
Hehe don't think the Mrs would approve

I think it is will be a choice between the Glasair & the Stratos as I will need the VI as I will be teaching myself
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:44 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicdoom
I will spend a week with this bird and post a good review of everything I have already started from unboxing pictures to building and into first flight tests.
I will look forward to seeing your review
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:30 PM
Soli Deo Gloria
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2012
188 Posts
Saw this at my LHS today. What a great looking aircraft. Can't wait to hear more.
GhostStone is offline Find More Posts by GhostStone
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:56 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
207 Posts
I set up my sportsman with my futaba 9c this afternoon using the spectrum dsm2 module. set channel 5 to switch A and reverse it, set rud elev and ale dual rates to 80% on switch D, and everything works as advertised.
HunnerBunner is offline Find More Posts by HunnerBunner
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:50 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,712 Posts
Here are a few studio photos of the Sportsman that I shot last evening. I for one really like how this trainer is styled after a real, scale General Aviation aircraft. I hope to take it out this afternoon and let my eight year old daughter get a little stick time on it.

Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Mine arrived on Friday and I took it out Friday afternoon and again this morning. I have run four 1300 mah batteries through it now (2 on friday and two this morning) and what a joy it is to fly. I concur with epicdoom. Very smooth, great scale looks, and the brushless motor provides a nice top end over my super cub. The Glasiar is quite peppy at full throttle and really climbs with a neutral elevator, she hums along very nice at 3/4 throttle with a slight climb at neutral elevator and runs nice and straight at half throttle.

Despite it being larger, this plane is noticeably faster than the super cub, so beginners need to take caution. If you are new and learning, you want the throttle at half or lower once you climb up to a safe distance. Overall, it turns wonderfully and smoothly and the 2 axis damping makes for very smooth maneuvers even in moderate winds. The damping is not part of the Virtual Instructor technology and remains on all the time, which is nice as it does not go away if you turn the VI switch off. I flew it 3 times with the VI off since I have moderate experience (Super Cub and iPad Simulator). My last flight, the VI got switched on accidentally. At first I was worried and not sure what was happening since I did not know it was on, it would start turning, but not continue into a steeper turn like it was not receiving input. I thought I might be losing the radio or the receiver. It did this a couple of time when I was turning sharply. It was turning smootly, but not as much as I was throwing the ailerons. I thought to look down and saw the switch was on, so I turned it off and it was back to normal. So, I think new pilots will love the VI. It keeps you from doing anything too aggressive. For the last 5 minutes, I switched to high rates. It did some very nice loops and barrel rolls and smooth inverted flight.

I would recommend this plane highly. Another great hobby zone product. Having the Super Cub for my son to continue learning on and the Glasair for me will be perfect. As a first plane, I think this would be a great 4-channel choice with the VI and moderate throttle. I think it is also a great 2nd plane for someone who learned on a 3 channel trainer like the super cub and does not want to do an aileron and brushless conversion so they can keep their planes stock. Below is a photo of the two on m y wall so you can get an idea of the size in comparison to a Super Cub:

Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:29 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,712 Posts
Plenty of flights on the Sportsman yesterday and today. This one is a real looker in the air IMO. Very stable, can be slowed to a crawl, and a nice size airplane that offers up good visibility at the distances that beginners sometimes fly them out to.

Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bajora; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:44 AM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Great Pics Bajora!