HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:05 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
fotoflyer...

Can you tell me the diameter of the spinner at its widest part in the back?

also, would you be willing to post a pic of the prop adapter... I assume it's for a 4mm shaft and has a threaded hole in the front for the spinner screw like the Du-Bro spinners?
I will get back to you a little later on your questions, got company here now.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:14 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
Sure, I'll post some pictures later today. Any particulars areas of the plane you' would like close ups of?
Not really, would just like to see any pics.
nbaker is offline Find More Posts by nbaker
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
OK, I took a bunch of pictures and prepped probably way to many to post here, but if I don't post very many, I'll provide a link to my pBase where you can see all of them.

But before I post the pictures, I'd like to share some things I found out today while playing with the Glasair. If you go to page 14 of the English manual, you'll find a good description of what the VI does. The are four basic functions that the VI does. These are Wing Leveling, Two Axis Dampening, Bank Limiting and Active Mixing. With the left switch in the ON position, all four of these functions are operational. The Hi/Lo Rate switch decreases the effect of these functions when in Lo mode.

However, when the left switch is set to the OFF position, the VI is NOT turned completely off! Only two of the four functions are turned off and the other two remain active. I was wrong on this earlier - I assumed it turned the VI completely off. You have to kind of read between the lines on the description given on page 14 to find this out.

When you flip the left switch to the off position, you will turn off Bank Limiting and Active Mixing. But the other two (Wing Leveling and 2-axis Dampening) will stay on. As I understand it, there is NO way to turn these two functions off. That's fine with me, but there might be some purists who want to totally control the plane and don't want some fancy electronic gadget messing around while they are flying. (I may be wrong on this, please correct me, if so)

I fired up my GS again, using my DX5e to control it and I found the above to be true. That is, with the left switch off, Wing Leveling is still on. It's a little hard to see the 2-Axis Leveling going on, but I believe it stays on also.

If this is the way it works, I'm very pleased with it. It certainly sounds like it's going to be an easy and fun plane to fly.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:07 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,919 Posts
Yeah, I knew that from one of the videos I watched... it was probably Chuck's.

Really anxious to see that prop adapter and spinner. If it's around 30-32mm diameter (1-1/4") and for a 4mm shaft (it should be, for a brushless 480) then it's exactly what I've been looking for for my Super Cub, and I'll get my LHS to order me in one tomorrow
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Pictures of my Glasair Sportsman

OK, here's some pictures of my Glasair Sportsman. The captions are ABOVE each picture.

The coffee table the plane is parked on is 52 inches (1321mm) long by 27 inches (686mm) wide.

I was surprised at how wide the cabin area of the fuselage is..

The OD of the spinner is 38mm at the cowl end and it is 40mm long. The prop is a 9X6, which is the same size as the prop on the Super Cub. But this prop has a larger hub and a larger mounting hole. The mounting hole on this GS prop is 6mm. The prop adapter is the crimp-on type. I didn't pull it off to measure the diameter of the motor shaft because these prop adapters are hard to remove and tend to slip, so I left it alone. There is a detailed exploded view of this assembly in the manual. I suspect the motor diameter is either 3mm, 3.175mm (1/8 in) or 4mm.

Here you can see that the wingspan is greater than the length of the coffee table.

I really like the looks of the wheels with pants and wheel covers, but I'm afraid this will be a problem taking off and landing on a grass field. I could put big ol' 3 inch wheels on it, but that would mean removing the wheel covers and I think would make the whole plane look dorky!

The cowl goes all the way to the windshield.

Quality construction all around.

I'm not sure what that short section of the aileron is about. Anyone know?

Nice job, all preassembled.

Here's a view of the grass clippings trap, ha.

Underside view.

Closer view of the underside.

Plenty of room for a larger battery. The down side of this battery compartment is that the battery lead going to the ESC is VERY short making it difficult to connect and unconnect the battery. But hey, it's a WHOLE lot easier than stuffing the battery in a Super Cub!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Mine is arriving around mid-week and I can't wait to take it out. My 13 year old son and I have been flying our Super Cub DSM for a little over a month now and we love it. I thought it would be good to have another plane and since I have some experience flying RC aircraft in my past, I thought the Glasair Sportsman would be a great choice. Especially since we can share batteries between the two and the controllers are the same. I am assuming (hopefully correctly) that this plane will be a little faster with the brushless motor and that the ailerons will afford some more advanced flying than our Super Cub. I am expecting due to the Sportsman's brushless motor that my flight times will be more like 9 or 10 minutes with the stock battery VS the 14 or 15 minutes I get with the Super Cub. Any input from someone who has flown both would be appreciated.
TexasRob is offline Find More Posts by TexasRob
Last edited by TexasRob; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:50 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Many thanks for the pics

Will be interested in hearing how you get on when you maiden her.

Regards

Nige.
nbaker is offline Find More Posts by nbaker
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
OK, I pulled the prop adapter off and measured the motor shaft diameter which is 4mm. The adapter is 39mm long and the shaft diameter for the prop ilooks like it is 6mm. This appears to be a much more robust way to spin that 9X6 prop than the gearbox and brushed motor setup in the Super Cub.

We should keep in mind though that this Glasair Sportsman is larger than a Super Cub, with a wingspan of 54 inches compared to the 48 inches on the Super Cub.

Still waiting for a flying day...
Last edited by fotoflyer; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:40 PM
Winter is coming.
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
Quote:

I really like the looks of the wheels with pants and wheel covers, but I'm afraid this will be a problem taking off and landing on a grass field. I could put big ol' 3 inch wheels on it, but that would mean removing the wheel covers and I think would make the whole plane look dorky!

I wonder if it would be worth it to get an extra set of gear and mod it with large tires. Does the nose gear look like it would be fairly easy to swap out?
JerryT87 is offline Find More Posts by JerryT87
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:22 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,919 Posts
fotoflyer,

Thanks for the info on the spinner and adapter.

Unfortunately, the 38mm spinner (1-1/2") is not what I'm looking for... but the prop adapter probably is (4mm shaft with tapped end hole for a spinner screw, I should be able to put my 1-1/4" Du-Bro spinners onto it I'll go order one from my LHS.

The wide cabin is because it looks like this is modeled after the Sportsman 2+2 which means 2 front and 2 rear seats.

If I buy this I'll probably convert it to a tail dragger which lends itself better to where I'd be landing it. .. and I'd put big bushwheels on it. The real Glasair Sportsman is designed to be used in either gear configuration and can be converted from one to the other in about an hour! Check it out (go to 05:35)...

Glasair Sportsman 2+2 Aircraft Demo Video (18 min 7 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 10, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:46 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
501 Posts
I haven't see the question asked yet. Is it possible to put the Supercub floats on this bird?
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:41 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,919 Posts
I've already thought about that. Anything is possible as far as getting them mounted. Having them perform properly is a different story... floats are pretty finicky as far as where the step is located in relation to the CG... and you usually want them to stick out past the prop a certain amount. I have some general rules of thumb saved here somewhere for building my Champ floats which I haven't done yet... I seem to remember that floats should be 75% the length of the fuselage from prop to rudder (can't remember off hand if that's leading or trailing edge of rudder).

Having said that...

Sportsman is 1/8 scale
Super Cub is almost 1/9 scale (1:8.85)

That doesn't mean they won't work. the question is.. how well?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:04 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,919 Posts
By the way, when I went to my LHS today to order the prop adapter to use on my SC, I found out they have 2 of this plane in stock, so I got them to open one so I could check it out
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
By the way, when I went to my LHS today to order the prop adapter to use on my SC, I found out they have 2 of this plane in stock, so I got them to open one so I could check it out
And you walked away without buying one of them???
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:31 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,919 Posts
Quote:
And you walked away without buying one of them???
It'll have to wait until I'm back to work at my seasonal job for the summer (spring to fall). I'd have to sell the Tx on kijiji too, if I get it.

I still have my SC to maiden too... first things first
RCG Plus Member