HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:37 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Just imagine the progression from Apprentice to Glasair Sportsman. Then imagine the $50 price drop. This is war and Horizon ain't shootin' blanks.
Yessir,

I'd have to agree. They are absolutely owning the entry level market, as well they should. Their products are top-notch, require no monkeying around to get them to fly, and really take a licking. I still fly my year-old Super Cub and have utterly no clue as to how many flights are on it. I've taught no less than three other folks how to fly on it. I have no doubt in my military mind that I'll have the Super Cub as long as I want it...can't say that about too many company's products...

The Glasair is going to dominate this segment --- mark my words. People can complain about the price all they want; we still have freedom of speech. But the truth is, for roughly $250.00 RTF, this thing's a monster deal. DX4e Spektrum technology; 18 Amp E-flite ESC, time-tested and proven 480 BL motor out of the T-28 Trojan, 54 inch wingspan I mean, are you kidding me? And it flys on a 1300 mAh battery?!?

What's not to like....
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
A PNP model would probably be the perfect buy.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
Didn't ask, but I'm sure there's options in the works...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, WY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
A minor point for what is probably a really nice R/C but the "Glasair" was a low wing all composite experimental and the Glastar was a fiberglass fuselage attached to a tubing interior frame and a metal wing/tail and control surface airplane.

I built one of the first full scale Glasiars and the airframe of a Glastar. Both were a challenge to build. Not very well thought out and the control harmony on the Glasair was horrible.

I'm sure the model will fly much better.
Cloudpeak is offline Find More Posts by Cloudpeak
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:32 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,241 Posts
http://www.glasairaviation.com/kitcontentsportsman.html
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:55 PM
United States, WY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post

Oops. Thanks for correcting me, Dave. That's what happens when time passes by.

I finished the Glasair around 1985. I worked on the Glastar build for a year in the 1995-96 time frame. At that time, I believe S-H was out of business and the Glastar was a different company. I hadn't followed any news about these planes since I finished my RV6 in 1995 and didn't realize the business had re-formed.

A couple of the Glastar guys (can't remember their names) stopped at our airport where I used to live in Nebraska and looked at the Glastar we were building on their way to someplace else. Real nice fellows and we had an enjoyable visit.
Cloudpeak is offline Find More Posts by Cloudpeak
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:49 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
What's not to like....
Well, they haven't answered the Ares Gamma 370 yet. There's nothing patentable about the concept of interchangeable parts for different capabilities in the same basic airframe, but I propose to you that the Ares Gamma is only the beginning of the possibilities there.

Within the concept of an evolving learner airplane, Horizon could take the Ares Gamma idea and turn it totally on its head. For instance, sure you can switch out wings for PRACTICAL reasons, but why not just to be cool! Cosmetics is just as important as function if you're buying a learner plane.

How about wings of different spans? How about tricycle/tail dragger landing gear chanteability? Straight wing. Dihedral wing. Polyhedral wing. 4-channel wings of different spans. If it was done with imagination, you could have 10 people show up at the field with the same airplane and they'd be radically different from each other.

Remember the Volkswagen Thing? Same concept.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Well, they haven't answered the Ares Gamma 370 yet. There's nothing patentable about the concept of interchangeable parts for different capabilities in the same basic airframe, but I propose to you that the Ares Gamma is only the beginning of the possibilities there.

Within the concept of an evolving learner airplane, Horizon could take the Ares Gamma idea and turn it totally on its head. For instance, sure you can switch out wings for PRACTICAL reasons, but why not just to be cool! Cosmetics is just as important as function if you're buying a learner plane.

How about wings of different spans? How about tricycle/tail dragger landing gear chanteability? Straight wing. Dihedral wing. Polyhedral wing. 4-channel wings of different spans. If it was done with imagination, you could have 10 people show up at the field with the same airplane and they'd be radically different from each other.

Remember the Volkswagen Thing? Same concept.
I dunno...

You make a persuasive argument, but I'm not persuaded....if any of that makes sense !

Although I agree the concept of easily modified configurations from the same basic airframe is cool, what you usually get is the archetypal "jack of all trades, but skilled at none", IMO. If these concepts were so viable in the marketplace, I bet they'd be selling them like hotcakes. Truth is, they're not, and I'm willing to wager that Hobbyzone still sells more Super Cubs than the other entry level trainers combined. The reality is, the Ares Gamma hasn't answered the Super Cub yet, and Horizon Hobby knows it.

As far as cool is concerned, I think the Glasair looks pretty darn cool. Never even heard of one 'till I saw it at the show. Researched it online last night and saw Horizon Hobby had the scale lines pretty much spot on. Just wait until you see one in person...you'll see what I mean. This thing's gonna sell. And will serve to bring more folks into the hobby, which is good for us

And yes, I'm quite old enough to remember Volkswagen's failed attempt to market a civilian version of the WWII Kubelwagen called the Thing in the U.S.....as I recall, it was a miserable failure, probably Volkswagen's first, and they stopped selling them after a whopping 3 year run. Now granted, some of that had to do with increased safety requirements, but mostly due to poor sales as VW could have easily improved it to meet safety standards....if it sold well

I think Horizon Hobby is heading in the right direction and time will tell if they are playing they're cards right; I think they are.

Just one's opinion after seeing the model up close and personal...

Cheers my friend,
John
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Jan 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
If this plane is being marketed as a first plane for the RANK newbie, then why even continue to produce the FB Stratos, Super Cub and Champ? I can see the Champ as a UM model, but the other two..................I don't know. Seems redundant to me. Then you have to question, why even introduce the Archer model when the T-28 Trojan serves the lowing trainer function perfectly. Don't get me wrong, I love my Parkzone/Hobbyzone planes but, I can't help but think that HH IS trying too hard now that it has competition. Certainly not from Ares/Hobby Town yet, but certainly from Hobbico/Flyzone. Case in point, the TH models like the Corsair, Mustang and the soon to be released F6F Hellcat; all can be had for just a few bucks more than a Parkzone UM model! Also, the premium models from Flyzone. Their new F4U Corsair at its price point just blows away the new Parkzone F4U Corsair with the stock addition of lights and retractable gear. It is a crazy time, but I guess it is good for us pilots.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
Yup Chuck,

All good and valid points, but I think if we step back and think about it rationally, it does seem that maybe they (Horizon Hobby) are either A) simply getting more depth in their lineup, thus insuring the success of their entire lineup, and possibly B) refreshing their lineup before discontinuing certain models. Either way, this latest release from the folks in Illinois is just another astonishing model from a company everybody had thought was on it's last legs because of the overseas vendors...not quite so fast; they were obviously merely regrouping.

One has to think that if they did in fact keep their entire lineup, they would almost certainly ensure market dominance in the entry level RC segment.

Also, after running 6 batteries through her today, I'm not entirely sure the Archer is even aimed at being an aileron trainer. True, it can serve as one, but I suspect they were just trying to enter a new segment of the market.

I'm telling you Chuck, what 'til you see this thing in person....you'll buy one just 'cause it looks so cool

Cheers my friend,
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:37 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
I'm sure it does look cool. The only thing I am pointing out here is the price point and the fact that it will most assuredly be passed by, by newbies because of that. I personally wouldn't buy it as an RTF, maybe a PNP. I guess the plane will probably be a replacement for the venerable Super Cub (sniff). I just don't see it supplanting the FB Stratos at its price point. You're right of course, I would have to see it in the flesh. I have seen the Archer and wasn't that impressed. I will stick to my PZ T-28; she is one of the planes I have that if I pranged her in, I would immediately buy a new one.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:13 PM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
206 Posts
Glasair Sportsman Future Upgrades

Great looking airplane from Parkzone. It looks like a beginner RTF airplane. Here is the full scale airplane.

Its a good airplane to make a floatplane or add larger tunda tires. The airplane looks good with the nose gear and wheel pants now. I just thought Id post these examples in case anyone might have any ideas about adding a few new things to the airplane if they dont like the nose gear.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Glasa...4fba6945ff2861

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Glasa...4fba6945ff2861

Dave is there a BNF version going to be produced from Park Zone?
ChrisFlysRC is offline Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
Last edited by ChrisFlysRC; Jan 18, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:28 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
A PNP model would probably be the perfect buy.
As I understand it, this plane is a step up from the Firebird Stratos. The engineers have had time to upgrade the functionality of the Virtual Instructor (VI), adding more features and improving on the existing features.

Keep in mind that you can ONLY use the included red transmitter if you want to use the VI on the Stratos, because, I think, some, or maybe all, of the VI features are implemented in the transmitter. So if you wanted to fly the Stratos with your DX6i (or equivalent), you would not have the VI. Further, since the Stratos has two motors, there is an additional problem of how you control them.

So they have not, and most likely will not be coming out with a PNP or BNF version of the Stratos.

For the same reasons as I stated above, the Glasair Sportsman will also NOT be available in PNP or BNF versions. It doesn't make sense.

I have the Firebird Stratos and it is one of my favorite planes to fly, because it is so easy and relaxing to fly due to it having the Virtual Instructor. Personally, I think the Glasair Sportsman will have a BIG marketing advantage over the Ares 370 Gamma because of the new technology it provides. Again, just my opinion, the Ares is just another smallish 4-chan trainer with last year's technology.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:21 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,939 Posts
All these: Champ, Super Cub, Stratos and Glasair are primary trainers. I don't think you can tout one as a progression over any of the others as far as what they teach you.

I think they are providing a range of sizes and prices to overcome buyer's objections: don't want the Champ because it's too affected by wind, Stratos because it's weird, Super Cub because it's "outmoded and old", Glasair because it's too expensive. Each plane is the answer to the objection for buying one or more of the others. That way HobbyZone has a great learner plane for everyone.

It's the same reason Chevrolet has more than one model. Meet the widest range of wants and needs to sell the largest number of products. It's the oldest play in the game. And it works very well.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:59 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
I have the first three and the fourth on order. So I don't have any objections on any of them. The Champ, the Super Cub, and the Stratos are all different planes but what they have in common is that they are just plain fun to fly. At this point in my experience level I would not want to part with any of them.

I'm really looking forward to getting the GS! Are there any rumors as to when it might be available?
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer