HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:45 AM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,813 Posts
New Product
Glasair Sportsman RTF by HobbyZone

No pics yet, but the specs look good.....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...an-rtf-HBZ7600

Recommended Battery: 3S 11.1V 1300mAh LiPo (included)
Charger: DC powered balancing 3S
Experience Level: Beginner
Flying Weight: 33.5 oz (950 g)
Landing Gear: Yes
Motor Size: 480 size BL
Overall Length: 35.5 inche (905mm)
Prop Size: 9 x 6
Radio: 4 channel (DX4E TX is included)
Speed Control: 18A (installed)
Wingspan: 54.6 inch (1390mm)
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:00 AM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,813 Posts
Pics!!!

southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Sweet highwing!
Aerobeast77 is offline Find More Posts by Aerobeast77
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:20 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
This is very interesting. I think that HH is stepping up the game, although their pricing is still way up there.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:25 AM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Does this newcomer signal the end for the Apprentice? The Glasair certainly looks much better. And it would make a nice next plane for HZ Supercub trainees.
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:47 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
looks cool
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Oct 2012
89 Posts
Looks great, the wheel pants may be an issue in longer grass though.
SmokeyRobinson is offline Find More Posts by SmokeyRobinson
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:28 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
This is very interesting. I think that HH is stepping up the game, although their pricing is still way up there.
I'm not so sure about that. Horizon doesn't just draw up a plane and build it. They actually design the things, prototype and test, instead of working by guess and by golly. And more importantly, they innovate.

If this plane is expensive, what is it expensive compared to? A $299.99 Apprentice? No, it's $50.00 cheaper! A Bixler? Comparing this to a Bixler is like comparing a Lexus to a Yugo. One works and the other kinda works.......sometimes.

You might call the Lexus an overly expensive car, but there are plenty of mid 1990's Lexi running around with half a million miles on them, still a good looking, finely performing and reliable vehicle. All the Yugos died many mango seasons ago, the vast majority of them well before they reached 100,000 miles. The cost of ownership for the more expensive automobile is actually much lower per year than the cheap Yugo as a result.

The same is true of radio control airplanes. The bitter taste of terrible quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten. The cheap plane is destined to be garbage sooner, rather than later.

I would argue that for its quality, for its extensive testing of products before they are marketed to the public, for their innovation, for the fact that their planes just fly BETTER, and for their commitment to availability of replacement parts and incredible customer service, the money spent on a Horizon Hobby product is wisely invested. Money spent on a Bixler is just gone.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:20 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,398 Posts
This one flies inverted with dihedral. That's really strange, and so they must have some sort of new technology in it that will allow you to do this.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:48 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
This one flies inverted with dihedral. That's really strange, and so they must have some sort of new technology in it that will allow you to do this.
It's called the human being. Lots of planes with dihedral fly inverted, including 3-channel planes like the Parkzone Radian, Slow Stick, Super Cub and Easy Star. Actually, a plane with a gyro would probably be more stable on the roll axis and actually be more difficult to fly inverted without detuning of the gyro, which this plane allows.

This plane doesn't appear to have more dihedral than the Apprentice, which flies inverted just fine. No strangeness or new technology needed.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:54 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy boo View Post
looks cool
That's really important. What's the newbie refrain? "....and I don't want to fly some lame baby plane that...." They want to fly something that looks cool. This should help that problem a lot.

Hey! HobbyZone Super Cub, HobbyZone Champ, HobbyZone Firebird Stratos, HobbyZone GlasAir Sportsman......is there some kind of pattern here? MMMMMMM? Is HobbyZone being molded into the finest place to go for learner planes? Is it possible that a major company has finally realized that in order to grow the hobby you have to maximize the chance of the newbie to succeed? Is it possible that they realize that the newbie is unpredictable in the amount of money they find reasonable to spend? Is it possible there might be a grand strategy for a wide spectrum of different price level planes, ALL of which can successfully teach the unaided newbie to fly? Could this actually be intelligence, respect for customer wishes and dedication to customer satisfaction at work before our very eyes?

NAW! just a coincidence.
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Jan 12, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Of course it does. I can even fly my Champ inverted for short periods of time.

Is this thing not foam? It almost looks plastic...
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
No, I gotcha RR. And I understand the pricing thing. But when you put it up besides say the Ares Gamma Pro, then the lines get a little more intense when it comes to price. Personally, the only non HZ/PZ I have are by Flyzone and the Ares Gamma. I think to entice the newbie, they should have priced this out at $199.00 RTF. I certainly would have bought this plane at that price when I was first starting out. Fortunately, I don't need anymore trainers and have in fact given most of my 3 channel trainers away. I don't consider the Gamma 370 Pro a trainer. It doesn't fly like one.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:27 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,061 Posts
This thing's gonna be a winner!

Just back from the AMA Expo and Convention in Ontario, California.

Guess what I happened to lay eyes on down there ?

Besides meeting the wonderful folks from Horizon Hobby like John Redman, Eric Johnson and Dave Eichstedt, I saw and somewhat fondled (it was attached to a pedastal) the new Glasair Sportsman!

I spoke with Eric about the new model and Dave spent a great while fielding my questions about it and basically giving me a rundown of the aircraft and all the new technology contained therein.

This is a cutting-edge, 54 inch Wingspan, 480 BL powered, four channel model aimed at the beginner. Running on the same 1300 Lipo you would find in the Super Cub, (or Wildcat, for that matter) it's a natural progression to go from the SC to this. But, given the Glasair's advanced technology, similar to AS3X, you can be a beginner and do just fine with this model. Amazing.

This plane looks really, really good in person. I personally like the tri-cycle gear; much easier to learn on than a tail-dragger. Also, the finish is typical Horizon Hobby EPO and very, very nice. The only thing, and I mean only thing, that seemed a little dodgy to me was the landing gear, but I'm sure it'll be stout enough to handle anything a beginner could dish-out to it. I told Dave (and Eric) I fly from a pretty close-cut grass field most of the time and Dave assured me it would handle that just fine; I would have to agree, the wheel pants don't appear as though they would produce a problem in the grass. I'm sure our friend Chuck will be testing one for us soon enough ! The prop appears to be standard Super Cub, 9x6. The cowl seems fairly stout as well. Not nearly as thin as the Super Cub, more like the T-28's cowl in thickness. The overall fit & finish being typical of Horizon Hobby's products: First Class!

I'm buying one for sure --- although I'm way beyond a trainer, this thing looks so good, and apparently flys so well, that I can imagine I'll have many, many fun filled hours doing touch-n-go's out at the driving range! I suspect many experienced pilots will buy this as a nice relaxing flyer....sometimes we forget that's what it's all about.

My only other comment is that there are currently two threads going on this little gem and someone oughtta figure out which one we're going with....my guess is, as soon as word gets out about this model, this thing's gonna catch on like wildfire and there'll be many folks posting on "the" thread

Cheers all,
John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Oct 09, 2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:13 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,610 Posts
Yup, Super Cub, Stratos and Glasair Sportsman flexing their muscles at all the other learner planes, right there! That sort of confirms my hunch that HobbyZone is being turned into the behemoth of learner aircraft. I'll bet the Champ is lurking just out of frame to nail down the bottom end of the line. Yikes! What a line-up.

The only competition in the mix is the Ares Gamma 370 with both 3 channel and 4-channel wings, brushed and brushless motor kit to plug right in to upgrade your model. It's the only chink in HobbyZone's armor. Wonder how long that will last? I see Horizon flexing some serious and powerful muscle here, raising the bar far above previous levels for the unassisted newbie. And I consider their prices very reasonable for what you buy.

Just imagine the progression from Apprentice to Glasair Sportsman. Then imagine the $50 price drop. This is war and Horizon ain't shootin' blanks.