HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2003, 03:53 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Carmichael R/C Motocross Bike from the Shack

Has anyone tried this new bike from ,of all places, Radio Shack?
It looks great in the TV ads and it looks like it's close to 1/5 scale, maybe larger. It has a gyro to assist in maintaining the rubber side down, although I'd sure like hear how effective that is.

Anyway, looking for feedback from owners. I was told by a RS employee that they support for the bike with replacement parts, so this bike is looking pretty cool for about $130.00.

Indoor Supercross at SoCal raceway. That could be a hoot.

TIA for the feedback,

Clay
ClayH is online now Find More Posts by ClayH
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2003, 04:38 AM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,680 Posts
Clay, do you have a link or any pics of it...? Sounds cool!...
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:20 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Here's....

Here's a link to the manual.

http://support.tandy.com/support_games/doc72/72224.pdf
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:45 AM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,680 Posts
Thanks Clay,... i think i've seen it before in color somewhere, i recon one of these bigger 1/5scale bike manufacturers should make a dirt dike, just like the road bikes but with a more skewed shape frame, longer forks, a full rear swingarm, longer shock, nobbie tires and a rider that put his leg out when you turn into corners! (this would help with stability)... Now that would be cool fun,... you could maybe try tricks over jumps when the rider throws his leg out in the air!!!...

-shaun-
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old Dec 20, 2003, 08:55 AM
Lean is Mean
L.I. NY
Joined Dec 2003
158 Posts
I just picked one up last night. I ran it for a pack today. Let me tell you, It's a blast..... It uses regular radio gear (which will be upgraded very shortly) standard motor & speed control & a six cell stick pack. It's speed, I'm guessing is around 20 mph. the gyro is in the rear wheel. It does a fairly good job on the street, but in the dirt it's a little squirly. I don't like the idea of an exposed belt drive, But for a $130.00 I definatly recommend buying one.
http://www.wildhobbies.com/forum/top...?topic_id=6272

Theres a video in the thread.

Joe
xtreme is offline Find More Posts by xtreme
Last edited by xtreme; Dec 20, 2003 at 10:21 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:46 PM
Lean is Mean
L.I. NY
Joined Dec 2003
158 Posts
I just got off the phone with my friend. I advise you not to crash into curbs.. LOL. His is done !!!!!!!

Joe
xtreme is offline Find More Posts by xtreme
Old Dec 22, 2003, 03:25 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,263 Posts
looks like our Steve was out there trying to convince people that on-road kit bikes are the way to go over the rc toys... ;-)
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Dec 22, 2003, 03:33 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Video

Even with the bad quality video, that bike looks cool and it looks like it jumps pretty well too. I wonder if you can drop the front end mid air by hitting the brakes like you can with offroad rc cars, or if the gyro overides that effect too?

Guess I'll have to get one and see!
Old Dec 22, 2003, 03:38 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,263 Posts
i just saw the video... I admit i was impressed on how the bike rolled over itself and managed to continue!!!!! Impressive!

But... I DONT NEED ANOTHER BIKE!!!!!!!!

(I shout this to myself, in case I hear ME!)

!!!!!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Dec 22, 2003, 05:42 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steliosh
looks like our Steve was out there trying to convince people that on-road kit bikes are the way to go over the rc toys... ;-)
Yeah, I think Adam, the moderator over there, got a bit irritated at me. Hey, I'm just trying to spread the word. I told the other forum where most of us guys post, and said they were welcome here.

There was one picture of the RS bike without the body, and at least the rear part of the frame looked a little bit like a TT. I haven't seen one (local Rat Shacks are all sold out) but I'm guessing it's a hybrid of the Tyco Extreme bikes, and our own TT/NFs. It's somewhere in between the two in quality and performance. I'm gonna keep watching the videos to see how their hop ups go!

STeve B in NC
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Dec 22, 2003, 06:39 PM
Joined Apr 2003
499 Posts
My brother-in-law picked one up yesterday. I'll check it out over the holidays.
305997 is offline Find More Posts by 305997
Old Jan 02, 2004, 04:29 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
33 Posts
I haven't been too impressed with the little tyco things, even if they do roll over and keep going. Then again, with my old honda RC bike, I could get that thing to do a full back flip (on an appropriate ramp) and land a wheelie which I could recover 70% of the time. And there's no gyro in there, although there is a leaning battery pack (so you had SOME steering control even without the wheel touching).

Actually, I really loved that bike. But unlike the TT, the steering linkage EXPLODES if you even tap a curb.
AbeFM is offline Find More Posts by AbeFM