HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:01 AM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Help!
Hoverfly Gimbal help

Hi I am having trouble with one axis of my hoverflygimbal controller (tilt) on a Photoship one 2xpt gimbal. The controller reacts properly, but I cannot get it to stop after it reacts to movement. If I tilt the heli forward, the camera compensates backwards continuously and the same for the other direction. It also seems to be worse in one direction than the other.

Any help would be great

Thanks
granooch is offline Find More Posts by granooch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:27 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,247 Posts
Sounds like the Hoverfly is not located on the camera mount. What axis is it on?
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
The hoverfly WAS mounted on the pan axis of my gimbal. Late last night I stumbled across a thread saying it had to be mounted to the camera tray when used with 360 degree servos (slightly confusing in the actual directions) & now it works as intended.

Could someone share some basic PID settings for there pan and tilt axis's? Tilt is good but not so smooth and pan is smooth but overshoots a little and is slow.

Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:37 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,247 Posts
Yes, you would have to use a standard servo, or an external pot on the continous rotation servo, to locate it off the camera mount. I don't have one, but it looks interesting. So hope you post on how you like it.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
I'm having a little trouble getting things to work on the bench and then in the field. I've had to redo my center points a couple of times, otherwise this thing is really cool and seems to work well. The only real issues with this are coming from me, not the design of the product.

Could someone shed some insight into what values I might play with to fix these following issues?

Pan- works the best, but under hard movement will move a little to far. I'd also like to smooth the reaction to slow movement as if I move really slow, it has a slight lag.

Tilt- Tilt is too slow in general and also has trouble keeping up under fast movement.

Lastly, with 360 servos, can I limit the angle which it moves in the pan axis?

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:11 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,247 Posts
Not having that controller its hard for me to help on values.
For tilt motion it is a question as to if the gimbal is physically able to rotate fast enough. If the camera is removed and the gimbal speeds up, the camera might not have its weight balanced on the center of rotation.
To limit the angle of rotation an external pot is an option.