HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:23 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2011
245 Posts
Discussion
Miss Wind 50e

Hi guys,

I got one of these for Christmas and will be starting the build in the next few days.
The only info I have found on it here on RCG has been spread here and there in threads about other planes.
I know this is not a new plane but thought maybe it deserves a thread of its own.

I am not a great builder by any stretch of the imagination, and this is my first pattern style plane. I started flying in may of 2011 and that has been mostly scale planes so constructive comments would be most welcome.
(I should also note that I will not be building this plane alone, but enlisting the help of a friend or two locally with much more building experience)

Here is the set up I have for it:

Hacker 50-16s - APC 16-12e
CC Ice 75
CC BEC Pro (thinking of pairing this with its own 2s LiPo for rx power, tho I guess if i did that I should just go ahead and buy a regulator to save weight.)
4x HiTech 5065 mg in the wings.
2x HiTech 7966HB in the tail

I doubt I could do a full build log if I tried, but if there is interest I will happily post pics and comment on any issues I find as we put it together.
Arkole Blake is offline Find More Posts by Arkole Blake
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:42 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,138 Posts
I think you'll enjoy it but be warned, pattern planes spoil you. After flying one all your scale models will feel soggy and unpleasant
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:38 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,203 Posts
Hi,

There is also a long thread (22 pages) on this plane at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8633615/tm.htm

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
245 Posts
Thanks for the link Bossee. I dont frequent RCU that often, not for any tangable reason, tho I do fly almost exclusively electric and RCG seems to be more electric frendly in my exp. (my opinion only , not intended to start a RCU vs RCG debate.)

Back on Topic, I finished assembling my Miss Wind this weekend. Pretty straightforward so I did not bother taking a ton of pics. I only ran into a couple minor issues.
The predrilled hole for the prop shaft was slightly too small. This caused the clip which holds the endbell in place to bind agianst the inside of the firewall.

The holes inside the wings for the servo wires are also fairly tiny, this would not be a problem if your servo wires are long enough. If you are using extensions like I am tho, getting the connections to turn into the first hole is quite frustrating.

I had the plane ready to maiden Sunday and the weather was favorable, unfortunately one of my 5065s was defective right out of the box. I plan on picking up another and sending that one back tomorrow, so hopefully will have flight pics 'soon'
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:37 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,138 Posts
Put the pants on it!
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:09 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,203 Posts
Arkole Blake,

A little side note, there is a full 2 x 2 M plane (Made by Oxai but designed by Sebastiano Silvestri, Sebart) that is very similar to Miss Wind S 50E, it is "Hera-S".

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=733

One of the most expensive F3A planes out there and with a contra rotating prop system the price is even higher. But it seems to be a nice plane for those that want a full 2 x 2 M plane and can afford a plane like that.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Nov 2011
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Put the pants on it!
Pants will go on after a few flights once I am convinced the tiny wheels can handle the terrian at my home field. No reason risk tearing up the pants if I have to go to larger wheels anyway.

Bossee, thanks for the link. I had heard there was a larger version but had never seen it. Well out of my budget anyway, but one can always dream right?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:02 AM
AMA 13456 NSRCA 4513
Rio Rancho, NM
Joined Nov 2007
221 Posts
Arkole Blake,
Have you flown it yet? Anxious to hear your flying impressions. I've toyed with getting one of these for a while now.
Jeff Worsham is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Worsham
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Nov 2011
245 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Yes, I have about 10 flights on it now. I am very happy so far, my first impressions are exactly what I was told by others. "It flies as well as it looks"
That being said, it is not perfect and I do have a couple of minor things to work on.

I originally left off the wheel pants and skirts thinking that the wheels may not be big enough for grass field operation. (this is somewhat true depending on the condition of the field) I did however decide that I wanted to add them. but discovered that:
1) the stock wheels rub on the inside of the pants and will have to be sanded down before they will roll freely
and
2) the 'skirts' (or whatever you want to call them) are not cut properly where they contact the fuse and will have to be reshaped a bit before installing. (this requires removing covering, reshapeing, and then recovering to correct)

so for the time being she remains barefoot.

I currently only have 6s5000mah batts for it, these are a bit heavy and getting the cg correct requires burying them deep in the fuse. Luckily there is plenty of room in the batt tray to get away with it. but using the smaller (3300-4000mah) recommended batts would be preferable. I plan on picking up a few 'soon'. I have flown over 10 mins on the 5000 packs and the most I have put back in afterwards was ~3050mah so flight times on the smaller packs should still be acceptable.

I enlisted the aid of a master pattern level pilot to help with trimming. He had nothing but good things to say about the ariframe itself after flying it. He did suggest that I swap the 16-12 prop for a slightly larger one, so I will be testing with a couple 17" next time I take it out.
The data from my ESC shows my max amp draw thus far at 59.1 so I am not concerned about over amping with the bigger props (yet).

Attached are a couple of shots of my power system install as well as the mod for the upper aileron connections. (I installed two charge jacks with female servo conns to make it easier to connect/disconnect the servos, which was difficult while holding the top wing at the same time)

The one last thing I plan on changing is adding an armsafe, I highly suggest this for anyone building one of these as the screw which holds the batt hatch in place is directly behind the prop. Screwing this in place with a 'live' motor is just a nasty accident waiting to happen.
Added a few shots from the field for good measure
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:10 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
352 Posts
Congratulations on your build. I've long wanted one of these birds - it just the best looking F3A model out there (but then I'm biased towards double deckers). I bought one over christmas as a present for myself that I will hopefully start building in April once we've moved in to our new house.

How do you find the colour scheme on yours? I bought the yellow/black version as it is mosly gray/overcast up here in the cold north, and was a bit worried that the blue/white would make it difficult to see.

- Thomas
thnilsen is online now Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:33 PM
AMA 13456 NSRCA 4513
Rio Rancho, NM
Joined Nov 2007
221 Posts
Hello Arkole-
Thank you! Very nice pics and lots of good info to think about and prepare for. This is certainly on my short list of desireable "sport" planes.
Jeff Worsham is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Worsham
Old Apr 01, 2013, 08:24 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,583 Posts
Thanks for the pics and thread.
I was fortunate to have found a white/green Miss Wind at GravesRC (the color combo has been discontinued according to SebartRC/ Thunderpower in Las Vegas).

I am planning on installing the recommended power components and was considering trying a Jeti magnetic key type arming switch, instead of the traditional Deans based series arming switch.
Radio will be a Jeti DC-16 (tray style) from EspritModel.

From manual, it looks like JR DS386 servos in wings and DS9401 servos in tail.
Of course those aren't available in the USA. Need to find an alternative that fits.

No paved runways, only grass, so the wheels and pants will need some thought.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Apr 01, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, MI, Saginaw Charter Township
Joined Feb 2007
113 Posts
I used hitec hs-65's in the wings and ds9411's in the tail but swapped them out for ds8411's because it was a little nose heavy. I also went with 2.5 inch wheels and no wheel pants because I fly off grass.
RCBRUSKI65 is offline Find More Posts by RCBRUSKI65
Old Apr 06, 2013, 03:30 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
From manual, it looks like JR DS386 servos in wings and DS9401 servos in tail.
Of course those aren't available in the USA. Need to find an alternative that fits.

No paved runways, only grass, so the wheels and pants will need some thought.
Horizon Hobby for some strange reason use a different naming scheme on JR servos to the rest of the world. They almost certainly are available in US but named different.

I flew 400 plus flights on my old Angel 50 off grass without issue with the spats (pants) on.

Flying a Wind S 50 on the Jeti DC-16. Best radio I've ever tried.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms