Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:37 PM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
456 Posts
Discussion
Peter Russell - RIP

Some sad news reported on the RCM &E forum that Peter Russell passed away on New Years Eve. His column was always one of the highlights in the mag when I was starting out in RC in the mid seventies.

Sincerest condolences to his family but they can draw a lot of comfort that his legacy as a designer and writer has inspired a lot of people in this great hobby.

Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:11 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
904 Posts
He was certainly an influence on me being an avid reader of his monthly column, "Straight and Level" in RCM&E.

I met him only once at a vintage event at Old Warden. I had driven 250miles just to see the model he'd bought with him. It was a 1938 Big Guff aka the "Goodship." Designed by Doctor Walt Good, this model had an eight foot wingspan but somehow Peter had managed to fit it into a small Skoda. I asked for the plans and they duly arrived but they were printed to a much reduced scale on couple of pieces of A4! They'll be easy enough to scale up.

Later on I purchased the plans of his 362 delta and his STOL. I must build one of them one day.

It's a cliche to say, "We will never see his like again," but in this ARTF age it's probably true.

My condolencies to his freinds and family.
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:59 AM
South Korea
Joined Feb 2005
717 Posts
Sad news indeed

RIP Peter.
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Sad loss. I'm building a reduced size STOL at present. It's been on the back burner for a while as I'm working on the Britplan build-off but I will press on with what must have been one of PR's most famous designs. I'd buy RCME for his articles alone. When he left off writing I left of buying. Never met him or his family but condolences to them.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:30 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,415 Posts
I first met Peter in his Ryton Street shop in Workshop when, at age 13, I bought my first engine, inevitably an E.D. Bee. Needless to say, I was back a few days later having been unable to start it, and he took the time to teach me the "diesel flick", once learned never forgotten. After that our paths crossed on many occasions, he was a "total aviation person" and it is very sad that we have lost another link to the great days of UK modelling. My sympathies to his family.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:27 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,401 Posts
Loved his book
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:27 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,481 Posts
Very sorry to hear of Pete Russell's death - one of the best magazine columnists.

I remember he wrote about test flying a friend's model built from a plan I had published and declared it flew fine. Praise indeed from the great man. Needless to say I was a big fan from then on

His writing was always clear and concise in grammatically correct English - an object lesson to some of todays magazine writers.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:23 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
947 Posts
Here's his "STOL Machine" from November 1974 MAN. The article and plan pretty well summarize Peter Russell: Smart and creative, with a passion for the hobby.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:07 AM
Vertically Challenged...
Ash Vale Hampshire UK
Joined Jul 2004
345 Posts
RIP the great OBE

Very sad to hear of the passing of the great OBE whose writings gave me so much pleasure.

His S&L column was the first thing I turned to when a new issue of RCM&E came out and the last thing I readf before I threw it away.

He had the wit and intelligence to keep his readers interested which is more than can be said for those who write for the magazines today.

Bert
Cody's Neighbour is offline Find More Posts by Cody's Neighbour
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:05 PM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
He was also a capable full-size pilot, owning and flying a nicely developed and modified Jurca Tempete. I always read every word he wrote in RCM&E, and talked to him a few times. An excellent modeller and writer, he will be missed.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:04 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
266 Posts
Hello brokenspar, Very many thanks for the Pete Russell STOL article and plan, just makes you want to build one, just added it to the list. RIP Peter.. SJ.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:10 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Jiver View Post
Hello brokenspar, Very many thanks for the Pete Russell STOL article and plan, just makes you want to build one, just added it to the list. RIP Peter.. SJ.
You're welcome, SJ. It's on my build list too. The STOL's vintage lines remind me of the de Havilland Puss Moth. I've re-read the build article several times and am impressed with the thought that Pete Russell put into this design. The STOL can be built as a single or twin engine, IC or electric, and can be used as a glider tug or camera ship. Really versatile!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar