HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:31 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
636 Posts
Question
typical newbie question

Hey guys, so I have really never flown a rc plane, have flown helis for a while though. and was thinking about getting the HZ champ, then I realized that I could get a AXN Floater-Jet w/ Servo, Motor, ESC, grab a dx4e controller for like 60 bucks and they would literally cost close to the same thing... Just wanted some imput on what people think. Obviously when I start out flying, I would keep it very low speed, maybe even close to none, but Idk, cause why not get a plane that could go to 3000 feet and go fast after i get really good, or one that can go 300 feet and slow. <--- no, I won't do anything crazy, but as I get better. thoughts?

btw, sorry for the bad spelling. Im on a phone.

my main goals are ariel photography and such, and of course just learning.
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:01 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Two things, at 3000 ft, you probably won't be able to see the plane and second, the AXN Floater Jet is not a very good platform for one that has never flown an RC plane before. Why? Well, the AXN Floater Jet is FAST. Speed is around 72 mph AND it has a really nasty habit of diving sharply when full throttle is given. I have been flyin about a year now, and just got my AXN about a month ago. Most of my planes, mostly warbirds, fly very predictably on take off. Hand launching the AXN on full throttle is a bit of a surprise the first time. It basically will hit the ground if you do that. If you have NEVER flown an RC plane before, get one of these: Hobbyzone Super Cub, Champ or Firebird Stratos. The Ares Gamma 370 is also a good trainer. Also, the DX4e TX will really limit you if you want to continue on with the hobby. I made one or two mistakes as a newbie, but listened to advice and got the planes I mentioned. Yes, I bought them all. I attribute my being able to fly 4-6 channel planes to them and my RealFlight 6.0 sim. One mistake I didn't make was to get a cheap transmitter. I bought the Spektrum DX6i as my first "real" transmitter and am glad I did. Oh yeah, flying RC helicopters is not like flying RC airplanes. I flew RC helicopters for 6 years before flying planes. The only things helis helped me with was orientation and stick control. The most important part of flying an RC airplane is LANDING her in one piece. Airplanes land NOTHING like helicopters. Just sayin'.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
636 Posts
thank you for the imput, champ it is.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:12 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,124 Posts
Hobbyzone Super Cub might be a good choice for you. You mentioned flying slowly, "very low speed, maybe even close to non" remember airplanes need speed to fly, unlike a helicopter you can't stop flying to think about it
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Dec 2012
636 Posts
I know, I think its the champ though, unless a glider since my budget is about $110
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy boo View Post
I know, I think its the champ though, unless a glider since my budget is about $110
http://www.nitroplanes.com/dyrcglarf.html
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:24 PM
Space power
United States, IA, Hampton
Joined May 2012
296 Posts
I haven't flown a dynam glider but if it is a gentle flyer it would be better than the champ in wind. I don't know about Boston but out here light wind is 10-15mph.
cfircav8r is offline Find More Posts by cfircav8r
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
636 Posts
^to big, i don't had too much space, plus the 100m range seems weak at best.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
^to big, i don't had too much space, plus the 100m range seems weak at best.
here is another smaller,motor on top flys great. then there is also the Bixler ..
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
here is another smaller,motor on top flys great. then there is also the Bixler ..
where is the plane?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:52 PM
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
Here's one for ya....

I dont know how far this is from you, but I came up when I selected Boston on Craigslist....

HobbyZone Super Cub, everything you need, for $75.00

http://providence.craigslist.org/tag/3406669718.html
BWEC10 is offline Find More Posts by BWEC10
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
where is the plane?
sorry ! out of all the things i have lost,i miss my mind the most
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy892...y-rtf-24g.html
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:01 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
669 Posts
I'd suggest you don't buy anything just yet.

Find a local RC club & ask if they'll let you fly one of their trainer planes using a buddy-box system. Most clubs welcome newcomers & are all too happy to help out. This'll let you get a feel for flying fixed wing with little risk & also allow you to fly at a real flying field (you mentioned you didn't have much space). Unlike helis, planes need lots of space. You can have the most forgiving trainer plane in the world but that won't do you any good if its stuck up in a tree or embedded in the neighbors roof. Chances are the guys at the club will suggest something to buy or heck you may even get lucky & they'll give you an old beater to learn on.

Best of luck.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
636 Posts
^all good ideas, about the hb super club, isn't it blue?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:10 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,421 Posts
the Champ was my first plane , 2 years later...still have it...still like to fly it

very top of the speakers
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC