Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:55 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,086 Posts
Discussion
How would you fix this?

Hi all,

Small dent, not a crease in circled area. Center panel of Supra. Not really big at all, just annoying to look at. Any suggestions for a quick fix? Thanks

Preston
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:14 PM
Canada, AB, St. Albert
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
To fix it so that you can't see it you have to be able to spray paint the correct original colour shade. That's the real issue when you are most interested in looks.

All you need is to lightly sand the area, fill with lightweight filler and then spray paint. Lots of work to get it perfect again!

I have just completed some major repairs on my Scorpion F5J and will wait to see how it flies before I paint!
Skysailer is offline Find More Posts by Skysailer
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:15 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,919 Posts
Get some White tape cover it up, that seems to help me get over small dents faster. Ian
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:36 PM
United States, NY, Hopewell Junction
Joined Sep 2004
143 Posts
+1 on the white tape. Save yourself some work!
rcglider is offline Find More Posts by rcglider
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:45 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Buy a new panel and send that damaged POS to me (LOL)!
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:49 PM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Buy a new panel and send that damaged POS to me (LOL)!
I need an address.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:55 PM
Happy on 72
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Jul 2005
489 Posts
Put tape, holographic tape, or a sticker on it. Then, if the dent is off center, put another matching piece of tape on the other half of the panel to make it symmetrical.
mwhitman is offline Find More Posts by mwhitman
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:55 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,253 Posts
This should do the trick...

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:01 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon View Post
Hi all,

Small dent, not a crease in circled area. Center panel of Supra. Not really big at all, just annoying to look at. Any suggestions for a quick fix? Thanks

Preston
Put your AMA #'S OVER IT!!!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:51 AM
United States, IA, Urbandale
Joined Oct 2002
104 Posts
Often you can raise a small dent using a piece of a paper towel and your covering iron. Set the iron as hot as it will go, wet the paper towel and place it over the dent. Briefly place the iron on the dent, rocking it over the dented area with gentle pressure. The boiling water will heat the skin and 'generally' cause everything to relax to it's original position. If the first time doesn't have any effect, rewet the paper towel and apply the iron for a longer time. In all cases remove the iron before the paper towel goes dry as the wet paper towel limits the temperature to 212F.

Although this will generally lift the dent it often causes the surface epoxy to shrink, allowing the fabric weave to show through. I'm not sure what the appearance will be if this is one of the Vladimir spread tow skins, but I suspect that the change in surface appearance will be less than with regular fabric weaves.

Hope this helps.

YMMV
airporter is offline Find More Posts by airporter
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:58 AM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
856 Posts
Keep us posted on the success of any repair. Maybe my son can use the same technique on his plane:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=54
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:10 AM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,086 Posts
UPDATE:

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Airporter has given a really good one and if the dent were on the bottom, out of sight, I might try it. Kinda nervous about messing with the top of the wing like that.

I have always found it a good idea to keep Vagisil in the house, but I'm out of it right now and I'm too lazy to drive to the drug store. They also look at me a little funny whenever I purchase it.

And mwhitman has reminded me that, yes, I do use Monokote chrome trim on my leading edges for the strobe effect when turning. So I think I'm just gonna do that.

But keep the great ideas coming. Who knows when a better mouse trap will appear?

Thanks, again, RC Groupers.

Preston
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:24 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airporter View Post
Often you can raise a small dent using a piece of a paper towel and your covering iron. Set the iron as hot as it will go, wet the paper towel and place it over the dent. Briefly place the iron on the dent, rocking it over the dented area with gentle pressure. The boiling water will heat the skin and 'generally' cause everything to relax to it's original position. If the first time doesn't have any effect, rewet the paper towel and apply the iron for a longer time. In all cases remove the iron before the paper towel goes dry as the wet paper towel limits the temperature to 212F.

Although this will generally lift the dent it often causes the surface epoxy to shrink, allowing the fabric weave to show through. I'm not sure what the appearance will be if this is one of the Vladimir spread tow skins, but I suspect that the change in surface appearance will be less than with regular fabric weaves.

Hope this helps.

YMMV
I did this on a crease on my Supra tip a while back it it helped but mine was much worse.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1570643&page=3

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:31 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Just keep the plane in the air flying as long as possible.
Then you shouldn't see it!

I know stuff like that can bug people, but it IS a contest sailplane, so just think of it as a tool to accomplish the flight tasks with.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:53 PM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,086 Posts
Okay. I did the repair. I used the wet paper towel/heating iron method. It worked quite well. I got about 90% of it out and it's very hard to notice now if you are not looking for it. Good enough for me. Thanks, everyone.