Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:50 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,203 Posts
Discussion
JR 398's?

How about some feedback on these?
Trying to search for actual specs based on 6.6v.
Also actual resolution would be nice!
TIA!
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:10 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,426 Posts
They are what the 378 should have been in the first place...excellent resolution and centering.

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:07 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Oct 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
How about some feedback on these?
Trying to search for actual specs based on 6.6v.
Also actual resolution would be nice!
TIA!
I have 398HV as a recent replacement for worn 378HV on my Supra flaps. I use a 2S LiFe phosphate battery. Qualitatively they are definitely tighter than the 378 and they don't "sing" like the 378. Instead they sort of growl off and on at a lower volume very much like the 368.
jpherit is offline Find More Posts by jpherit
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
They are what the 378 should have been in the first place...excellent resolution and centering.

Tom
What? Didn't someone call the 378 "The servo of the future"? Why, yes, I believe they did.

I'll be happy to buy some 398's after a year or two and dozens of positive feedback reports from non-company men. Just sayin'. JR lost a lot of credibility, in my eyes, on that fiasco. You make a mistake, man up, fix it and move on. It happens. You'll keep more customers than if you stonewall. Deny, deny, deny just doesn't cut it. And I'm reminded every time I turn on one of my planes that have them in it. Yes, at least I know the plane is on. Gotta look on the bright side, right.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:50 AM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon View Post
I'll be happy to buy some 398's after a year or two and dozens of positive feedback reports from non-company men.
Well, you now have the first of those.

Tom
Not a JR team pilot
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:05 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,494 Posts
it does defy belief that the original 378 (aka graupner ds3288 etc etc) was brought to market with such poor accuracy. Especially after apparently "extensive" testing and feedback by JR team pilots, and not inconsiderable hype.

as a non JR team pilot I could see (and hear) that it was not an acceptable servo for the price by the first time I installed it in a model.

Especially when MKS brought out their range of servos it made the JR/Graupner servo look ridiculous.

They are tough servos, I will give them that. Also they had good horns and a sensible length lead and good mounting lugs.
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:59 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
Well, you now have the first of those.

Tom
Not a JR team pilot
Thanks, Tom. Just 59 to go!
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:20 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
58. I too can stand behind the quality of hte 398's. I am a JR pilot, but I complained loudly once I experienced the 378 problems. It took a while, but JR did finally bring the fix. I too wish the communication to the market was more open and proactive.

In these days of high end guys sealing the servos inside molded wings, it really stinks to get your new pristine wing and watch as the flaps and ailerons never really come back to center. Thankfully for one of my gliders with inaccessible servos, they did finally loosen up, and now those 378's are working well. I was about to do some seriuos surgery though.

Cheers,

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:33 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
58. I too can stand behind the quality of hte 398's. I am a JR pilot, but I complained loudly once I experienced the 378 problems. It took a while, but JR did finally bring the fix. I too wish the communication to the market was more open and proactive.

In these days of high end guys sealing the servos inside molded wings, it really stinks to get your new pristine wing and watch as the flaps and ailerons never really come back to center. Thankfully for one of my gliders with inaccessible servos, they did finally loosen up, and now those 378's are working well. I was about to do some seriuos surgery though.

Cheers,

Mike
I still find it kind of weird. I mean did no one from JR fire up the servos and think actually they are not very good at one of the basic jobs as servo has. Actually they probably did but got too sick of the noise to carry on with it.

It's not like they were selling them to a sector of the market where the buyers didn't know what a decent servo was like (or didn't have the gift of hearing). Especially as a lot them had been using JR's own products that had perfectly normal centring.

The problem was glossed over on here by a lot of people with a vested interest. Personally I lost a lot of respect for JR.
I guess now the 398 is out everyone is allowed to say how crap the centring and accuracy* were on the 378 and how ridiculous the noise was. The gear slop was mediocre at best as well, while I am having a moan.

*they didn't just centre badly they didn't move to the same point twice in a row.
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Last edited by satinet; Jan 10, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:24 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,203 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Tom, JP and Mike!
Does anyone know what the resolution/deadband is for these?
Do the servos respond to each trim step of the higher end JR radios if the steps were set at minimal settings?

According to JR: The DS398 digital precison metal gear thin-wing servo offers class-leading holding torque, zero deadband and the legendary high resolution of JRŪ servos in a package that's ideal for high-performance sailplanes and electrics. By re-engineering certain internal components, the JR brand has improved upon the precision of the previous generation DS378 servo to give the DS398 servo the performance advantage JR customers demand.

Does the bold type indicate these are on par with say the DS3421and its variants? I am asking so I can hope to avoid a repeat of stupidity on my part .
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:28 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,675 Posts
I have done a recent HV 398 install on two large scale sailplanes (16 servos just in the wings) and there is no doubt that they are MUCH more quiet than the 378, time will tell about centering and resolution.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Last edited by s2000; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:05 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,784 Posts
I've not used the 398, just the 181. I think that the only delta is the HV voltage capability (and the HH renumbering of the JR #). I have been impressed with the tightness of the gear train, and the centering accuracy/resolution and put this servo ahead of the 3421.

disclosure: Team JR pilot. I'd recommend checking prior postings to evaluate the probability of poster bias. This is something that one should do for any recommendation that comes from a person that you do not know!
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:00 PM
United States, KS, De Soto
Joined Aug 2004
742 Posts
Not a Team JR or HH pilot....The 398s are working well in my Aspire and I plane to get a few more for other planes.
jfrickie is offline Find More Posts by jfrickie
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:36 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
77 Posts
I am using the HV 398's in my Supra wing. Only had 20 flights on it before an incident that destroyed the center panel. I was really happy with the servos. Centering was excellent, very little slop. I will be using them again
rc_soarer is offline Find More Posts by rc_soarer
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:31 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,715 Posts
Anyone know what the Graupner number is for the 398 servo?
Mark Miller is online now Find More Posts by Mark Miller