Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:06 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Splinter View Post
by the way are the extra modules available in banggood?
Yes.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=72
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:18 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2012
70 Posts
Many thanks James, always enjoy your reviews.
Of course I immediately ordered one from BG along with a bunch of spares at seemingly good prices.

Ah, new mission, I went to that site you recommended for modules and of course was totally lost. lol
That made me think, hey James could make us a survival chart for placing orders on such sites. I mean just the important words like Search, Ok, Next, Etc.. lol
The Survivors Guide to Chinese websites.. kidding but then who knows. ')

Many thanks as always..
X/BillyD..
X_Marine is offline Find More Posts by X_Marine
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:21 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,279 Posts
@Hellysmack and Variantman, if you guys could come up with a design for a bomb drop module that's small enough and functional at the same time, I can forward it to WLToys. they've asked me to design one for them..but the one that I used on my RC EYE 450 just wouldn't scale down well enough for the V959 to carry.

@X_splinter, I've written a piece on flying quads and helicopters here. If you follow these instructions, it will lower your learning curve significantly. A friend got the V959 to hover (somewhat) within 10 minutes of actually getting his hands on the transmitter.. So I don't think it's going to be too hard for other absolute beginners.

@Nerm, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! I've been flying it quite a bit these days and I love it to bits!

@FyreSG, thanks for the info as always, my friend!

@X_marine, the site is intended for domestic customers I think... Shipping overseas via taobao would be extremely expensive and I think most of the sellers won't do overseas shipping. The best equivalent of the site is probably going to be Banggood..
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:00 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,360 Posts
-BG states the v959 is 4-axis. So rate mode only, no auto level?

-Hopefully they'll start selling it without camera module?

-Anyone convert their v929 or v949 by replacing it with a 959 Rx board $12.50, airframe $1, and skids $1.28? Wonder where a v959 Tx could be had for cheap?
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:20 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
really cool

Just waiting till the bug of binding and modules start firing missiles (or water or bubbles) be fixed to order some of them...Hope James tell them to fix that soon, cause itīs really an amazing machine.
As always...James...thanks for your time and patience.
Saludos and best regards,
Jose

BTW. Could you comment them allso the posibility of starting studying to add a compass?....you know...as these toys are really small and have a very big range...Iīve flown 929 and 949 over 50 m tall and about 150 meter far...You lost orientation really soon and the compass function and carefree mode would be really an interesting option to recover them safely
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:38 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,279 Posts
@patricklupo, 4 axis is a translation error..it's a literal and direct translation of what quadcopters are called in Chinese. It is inherently stable, but there are no other stabilization equipment onboard other than the 3 axis gyroscope.
I will ask WLToys about selling the quadcopter without the camera... currently you can get the quad with one of the modules..but not without.

@Jose,
Thanks for the nice comment. I have talked to WLToys about the bug...whether they fix it or not is up to their own discretion. The compass thing I'll have to talk to them about... but what they are looking for now are different modules..since designing and making a new RX board is very expensive as far as I know.
Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll talk to them about it as soon as they start work on Monday.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:58 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
@patricklupo, 4 axis is a translation error..it's a literal and direct translation of what quadcopters are called in Chinese. It is inherently stable, but there are no other stabilization equipment onboard other than the 3 axis gyroscope.
I will ask WLToys about selling the quadcopter without the camera... currently you can get the quad with one of the modules..but not without.

@Jose,
Thanks for the nice comment. I have talked to WLToys about the bug...whether they fix it or not is up to their own discretion. The compass thing I'll have to talk to them about... but what they are looking for now are different modules..since designing and making a new RX board is very expensive as far as I know.
Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll talk to them about it as soon as they start work on Monday.
I really appreciatte your efforts James...the bug thing is just cause if its not addressed...besides to be a bit annoying...gives impression of unfinished machine...and I donīt only fly them...I like to show people around here new technologies and feel uncomfortable when canīt defend the full design for such a single bug, being so a wonderful piece of art.
And I know that changing desing in board its not a cheap thing at all...just would like to recover the thing easily cause it flyes so well that Iīm always trying to go as far as possible to get videos (using 808 camera on them)....thats why Iīm so interested in compass and carefree mode...cause I see the potential of these machines far away than being simple toys.
Saludos and thanks for your time,
Jose
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:12 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblao View Post
I really appreciatte your efforts James...the bug thing is just cause if its not addressed...besides to be a bit annoying...gives impression of unfinished machine...and I donīt only fly them...I like to show people around here new technologies and feel uncomfortable when canīt defend the full design for such a single bug, being so a wonderful piece of art.
And I know that changing desing in board its not a cheap thing at all...just would like to recover the thing easily cause it flyes so well that Iīm always trying to go as far as possible to get videos (using 808 camera on them)....thats why Iīm so interested in compass and carefree mode...cause I see the potential of these machines far away than being simple toys.
Saludos and thanks for your time,
Jose
Carefree mode and compass?
In a WL-TOYS flying machine? ~70 USD priced RTF?
You really expect getting all that for cheap/zero?
Stop dreaming, grab some money and buy serious hobby grade stuff.
Face it: WL makes toys! They fly surprisingly well for a toy, offer some possibilities you will not expect and you'll get some flying fun.
But they still are and will stay toys.

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:38 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
thanks but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Carefree mode and compass?
In a WL-TOYS flying machine? ~70 USD priced RTF?
You really expect getting all that for cheap/zero?
Stop dreaming, grab some money and buy serious hobby grade stuff.
Face it: WL makes toys! They fly surprisingly well for a toy, offer some possibilities you will not expect and you'll get some flying fun.
But they still are and will stay toys.

-mike-
Dreams of today r reality in future...and about hobbygrade stuff..I think all wltoys as You call them are hobbygrade stuff while You can use spare parts and keep them working.
And after seen all the injuries caused for what you consider serious stuff...I really prefer stick to the little machines...cause don't wanna feel responsible of other people accidents.
Anyways...thanks for your advice.
Saludos and best regards,
Jose
Last edited by Doblao; Jan 13, 2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:10 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,279 Posts
I must say that it's VERY unlikely for them to add things like carefree mode and all..but then again, if you told me a few years ago that these quads would become toy-like and cheap...I would never have believed it at all :P

Will ask, but don't hold your breath
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:02 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
806 Posts
The v959 is so nice that I can hardly tear myself away from it,I'm going to bring my V959 to the top of Mt. Baiyun...I think the scenery from the top would be quite impressive,and I'll record it!!!
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:22 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,054 Posts
[QUOTE=jameschen072;23797555]@Hellysmack and Variantman, if you guys could come up with a design for a bomb drop module that's small enough and functional at the same time, I can forward it to WLToys. they've asked me to design one for them..but the one that I used on my RC EYE 450 just wouldn't scale down well enough for the V959 to carry.

QUOTE]

My first thought is

1. point the missile launcher down
2. No spring needed, just release, gravity can do the work
3. Bombs are shorter and fat on one end other end same design as missile catch/release
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:47 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,054 Posts
Quote:
I if you told me a few years ago that these quads would become toy-like and cheap...I would never have believed it at all :P

Will ask, but don't hold your breath
How about a module that makes a beep when you lose it so you can find it in the weeds…

Is the V969 Going to have a FPV with viewing screen on TX

Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:08 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellysmack View Post
is the v969 going to have a fpv with viewing screen on tx:d

++1
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:35 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
[QUOTE=Hellysmack;23799210]
Quote:
@Hellysmack and Variantman, if you guys could come up with a design for a bomb drop module that's small enough and functional at the same time, I can forward it to WLToys. they've asked me to design one for them..but the one that I used on my RC EYE 450 just wouldn't scale down well enough for the V959 to carry.

QUOTE]

My first thought is

1. point the missile launcher down
2. No spring needed, just release, gravity can do the work
3. Bombs are shorter and fat on one end other end same design as missile catch/release
That might work. I'd really have to get my hands on one of these to come up with some module ideas. James, tell WLtoys I need a sample to work with.

Right off hand (and I've made a list before in one of my posts) I'd like to see the following modules:

1. Cargo drop, of course.
2. Speakers. Something with triggerable sound fx including a mic to record your own.
3. A skywriter. http://www.amazon.com/Skywriter-UFO-...eywords=Rc+ufo
4. A spotlight (adjustable tilt, flash and strobe option like Half-Life 2).
5. Ultrasonic sensor for altitude hold.

By the way, I think the GWS props should be the default propellers. They look great, are easier to see, and really help with stability and FFF.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman