HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:01 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
@FyreSG, I've sent a suggestion over to WLToys Hopefully they'll take the suggestion.

@Natscape&Hellysmack, My 949 is out of service at the moment, so a friend is fixing it for me. Hope I'll get it back sometime soon and I'll try the 949's tx on the 959.

@Brandigan, I tried out the mod.. but it only shaves 2g off of the frame. It does look a bit better though

@Heliuk, like Brandigan said...all of the running gear is the same..the canopy does give an impression of larger props though.
The motors seem a little different. I'll check with WLToys to see where the differences are
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:14 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
@FyreSG, I've sent a suggestion over to WLToys Hopefully they'll take the suggestion.

@Brandigan, I tried out the mod.. but it only shaves 2g off of the frame. It does look a bit better though
Hope you mentioned HD video, as per your other thread about the perfect camera. As half the people using an 808 #16 or #18 want to use an external battery with it to keep weight down: just swapping the internals with what they've got and making it share the quad battery and respond to the TX buttons (and being able to tilt the lens as now) would be a massive win without even doing anything else very much.

Darn it. Only 2g? Oh well, every little helps, I guess.

Motor info would be useful, as strangely: the 959 motors are cheaper than the 929/949 ones on Banggood.

Edit: Actually, several v959 spares are cheaper than their v929/949 equivalents: Motors, Gears, Prop Shafts, Carbon Arms, Props and Bearings.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Jan 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:32 AM
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
thanks!

of topic:

i am thinking of a strong direct drive Hybrid:
Board: V202
Frame: V959
Motorholder: V929 turned upside down, gears and plastic cut of
Motors: V959, pinion removed
Blades: mini pet, Mx100 or RC eye one?
heliluk is offline Find More Posts by heliluk
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:29 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
I may be intested in well. Remove the booms and stuff. Easy to assemble. Probably use the same box as the micros? Can you get WLtoys to send you a shipment like that also, without retail boxes?

It would be nice if you carry accessories like gws blades (which work great), batteries, and spare motor arms (for all the MQX clones out there). I think whoever buys one of these is probably going to want to collect all the modules. We are addicts afterall.

By the way, MO, I'm not sure how DIY you are, but if you make a cargo drop mechanism (maybe modding the grappling hook one), you could sell that one as well. Even if it was priced a little more.
I really like the compact packaging we have now. Takes up less room, wastes less packaging material=good for our costs as well as the environment, and costs less to ship.

Just about all future orders will be done without retail boxes if possible (Hubsans arriving today could only be ordered with retail boxes unfortunately). James already answered the cargo drop one, but I think the grapling hook could be easily modified to release a cargo as you've said.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:20 PM
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Sep 2012
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post

@Natscape&Hellysmack, My 949 is out of service at the moment, so a friend is fixing it for me. Hope I'll get it back sometime soon and I'll try the 949's tx on the 959.

@Heliuk, like Brandigan said...all of the running gear is the same..the canopy does give an impression of larger props though.
The motors seem a little different. I'll check with WLToys to see where the differences are
Thanks James!
natscape is offline Find More Posts by natscape
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:35 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
I really like the compact packaging we have now. Takes up less room, wastes less packaging material=good for our costs as well as the environment, and costs less to ship.

Just about all future orders will be done without retail boxes if possible (Hubsans arriving today could only be ordered with retail boxes unfortunately). James already answered the cargo drop one, but I think the grapling hook could be easily modified to release a cargo as you've said.
I bought some rare earth magnets at Harbor Freight and was wondering what to do with them. These things are very small and very strong. And only weigh about .7g. They can hold as much weight as the V959 could carry. I'm thinking you could remove the hook from the tether and attach a magnet instead, and have a small tube attached from where it lowers out of the module. You would have the magnet lowered to the bottom of the tube to attach something. To release simply retract the magnet up the tube. The cargo would have to have a small metal piece attached to it of course.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:21 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
@variantman, that is a very good idea! I have a few rare earth magnets sitting around at home as well... Think I may give it a try!

By the way I can confirm that the 959 can carry a complete 808 # 16 camera without any trouble at all... The battery and the motors do get a little bit warm after the flights though
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; Jan 11, 2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Thanks for the review. I have one of these as well. Great little quad.

Crashed mine hard last night, snapped one of the carbon shafts that hold the motor/props.

I gorilla glued it back together last night. It looked like it bound well so I attached it back into the quad, hovered and landed softly; then it snapped again

Any tips on a way to fix these shafts, or do you basically have to suck it up and just order a new one?
chatelainjw is offline Find More Posts by chatelainjw
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
You know what module I'd love. Airsoft!
drko is offline Find More Posts by drko
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:18 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatelainjw View Post
Thanks for the review. I have one of these as well. Great little quad.

Crashed mine hard last night, snapped one of the carbon shafts that hold the motor/props.

I gorilla glued it back together last night. It looked like it bound well so I attached it back into the quad, hovered and landed softly; then it snapped again

Any tips on a way to fix these shafts, or do you basically have to suck it up and just order a new one?
I think you know the answer yourself.
Order a new shaft or two, you need to have spares on hand of commonly broken parts.
Now while you are waiting for the post man, if you could find a small tube of the same I.D as the O. D. of shaft to act like a crutch/Splint over break and super glue the 3 pieces together It may last until the next crash. If however you have vibration doesn’t fly it because it will wear out motor bushing prematurely. It is fun to try when you are having withdraws
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:24 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
The carbon shafts (or anything that rotates for that matter) are always hard to fix. I usually use use sewing thread and CA to fix booms that have split.. But for something that spins, the extra weight of the thread may cause vibrations...
So I agree with Hellysmack, get it replaced :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:12 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
I bought some rare earth magnets at Harbor Freight and was wondering what to do with them. These things are very small and very strong. And only weigh about .7g. They can hold as much weight as the V959 could carry. I'm thinking you could remove the hook from the tether and attach a magnet instead, and have a small tube attached from where it lowers out of the module. You would have the magnet lowered to the bottom of the tube to attach something. To release simply retract the magnet up the tube. The cargo would have to have a small metal piece attached to it of course.
It would work if hoist is strong enough to pull its self free, Tube would have some weight too, how about carbon fiber tube or cage. Two carbon rods mounted across the inside of skids?

Would you say the V959 would be easier to fly in smaller areas than the V939?
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:25 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack View Post
It would work if hoist is strong enough to pull its self free, Tube would have some weight too, how about carbon fiber tube or cage. Two carbon rods mounted across the inside of skids?

Would you say the V959 would be easier to fly in smaller areas than the V939?
A cargo drop mechanism could be made in various ways, with or without magnets. There are two ways to mitigate the magnet pull. One is to simply not lower it too far down the tube (or attach some padding to the bottom of it). The other is to only have a very small amount of metal attached to the cargo. For example, if you wanted to drop a ping pong ball I would just glue a small metal shaving to it. Or better yet, use a drop of metal paint.

If the V959 flies like my V949, I would say it would be much more maneuverable than the V939. With GWS props, even more so.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:07 PM
RC Helicopter Lover
Portugal, Braga
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Thanks for the review. I ordered this one a few days ago and it will be my first RC choopa I hope iI won't crash it

by the way are the extra modules available in banggood?
X_Splinter is offline Find More Posts by X_Splinter
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:09 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Looks like a lot of value for the price from BG
Just placed an order.
Nerm is offline Find More Posts by Nerm