5,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRC View Post
James, when will MassiveRC have these?

Ready to hit the buy button
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
@FyreSG, Thanks!

@UniversalRC: You'll have to convince MassiveOverkill that you really really really want it and we could probably carry it. I have asked our suppliers about cost and all..because I really do like the 959 a whole lot..but the shipping is what gets us... international shipping is EXPENSIVE
We'll order when you get 150 members to say they'll purchase j/k

Seriously though, the key to carrying these is getting them cheap enough so that we can offer a competitive price as James already stated. We won't be able to match BG's prices, that's a given, but we have to be able to compete pricewise with any US vendor. That means no retail packaging and you may have to assemble the booms as the mini quads will be more expensive to ship in the US due to their size. They would still be flight-tested, but trim may be different after dissasembling them.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:06 PM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
984 Posts
Sounds good MO.

Alright all you guys in the US speak up!! I'll take 2 so we need 148 more
UniversalRC is offline Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:00 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,185 Posts
Thanks for the great review.
I have my eye on this one and this is my question how does it fly without the modules. Is it closer to the V929 and V949, better, worse? How do they compare?
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:08 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
958 Posts
Put me down for two and spares. Perhaps more if my daughters and their boyfriends get wind of this quad.

Only 146 to go
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:33 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I may be intested in well. Remove the booms and stuff. Easy to assemble. Probably use the same box as the micros? Can you get WLtoys to send you a shipment like that also, without retail boxes?

It would be nice if you carry accessories like gws blades (which work great), batteries, and spare motor arms (for all the MQX clones out there). I think whoever buys one of these is probably going to want to collect all the modules. We are addicts afterall.

By the way, MO, I'm not sure how DIY you are, but if you make a cargo drop mechanism (maybe modding the grappling hook one), you could sell that one as well. Even if it was priced a little more.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:28 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
@UniversalRC, I'll try to convince MO that it's worth our trouble as well..this quad is too good to miss

@Hellysmack: thanks for the nice comment! I flew it a couple of times empty during the review sessions and it still feels more planted than the V929 and 949...It will pick up a lot of speed but I've found that it's best to fly it like you're driving a truck instead of a nimble sports car: always plan your next move well in advance. :P

@Ben, I'm thinking about getting 3 or 4 of them as gifts too now... and a lot of people wanted to buy one off of me... Think I need to open a MassiveRC branch in China.

@Variantman, If we do get it, it'll be without the retail box for sure...as the retail box is ridiculously big . I've been trying to get hold of GWS but I've had no luck at the moment..will have to get back to you on that one (That said, the stock V959 blades track perfectly...much better than the ones my 949' came with).
Oh and I'm working with WLToys on designing a few other modules...one of which is a parachute-drop mechanism. Will let you guys know if it works or not :P
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:31 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,125 Posts
James, how bout telling them to make a camera module that has wide-angle lens?
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:54 AM
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Sep 2012
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Cheers guys,
@FyreSG: Thanks, I took those pictures with one hand while I flew with the other :P I will try to take a video of the modules in action..but I think the bubble module might be the only one that you can see function on camera.

@Natscape, the port is powered but it's a 4 wire port..so I'm not sure how you might connect to it. It'll probably take some experimentation.

@E2, At least here in China...it's been on the market for quite a bit of time.. Aaron told me that the modules are available now btw! They are nice and cheap..I really recommend getting all of em'
Thanks James. From your photos I see there are indeed 4 wires going into the camera module. I am assuming the red and black are the constant +,- power source and the white and yellow are what trigger the snapshot and video taking.

Any idea how much the 959 board weigh? If it weighs 3-4 grams and I remove the built in battery of the 808 #16 (5 grams), then I just saved 1-2 grams plus I spend USD15 for the 959 board.

Also, by any chance did you try to use the 949 TX on the 959? Can you do flips, change TX rates?

Thanks!
natscape is offline Find More Posts by natscape
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,656 Posts
@James: Have you (would you?) consider cutting off some of the plastic on the 'old' feet under the props, as there is the nice big stand on it, as that's got to be 4-8g of plastic that could be saved right there - to offset the extra weight of everything else that's being carried.

Or, as you have an ear in WLToys: suggest they modify it to remove the redundant plastic. There could still be more than enough left to protect the prop gears etc, like this:
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Jan 11, 2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:44 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,185 Posts
To me the V959 looks like a no brainer, I think this will prove to be one of the most popular Qauds on the market. Just From the two reviews it appears to be Stable for beginners, Handles wind well, has modules that fill every toy fantasy a boy at heart could want.
Rumor is it would bind to v939, and the V939 will bind to the Flysky 9x If you could prove this you will not be able to keep it in stock. I know this is important to some I would find it hard to believe out of 9 channels you could not find one to work the modules.
I think I may order this regardless, and may get this before the Flysky 9x I have had my eye on, hard to chose
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
Motors

Hello at all Quadbuilders from spares

Are the motors the same size like on the V929, V949 just stronger?
Or are they bigger?
The rotorblades are bigger, as I can see from the Foto.
heliluk is offline Find More Posts by heliluk
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:26 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliluk View Post
Hello at all Quadbuilders from spares

Are the motors the same size like on the V929, V949 just stronger?
Or are they bigger?
The blades are the same, as is shown in FyreSG's photo here: The 959 is underneath the 949.

Edit: Apparently this is wrong. @JamesChen072 posted a comparison photo here.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Jan 16, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:27 AM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Joined Aug 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliluk View Post
No, they are the same size as the V929 and V949. it just looks bigger because it's closer to the camera.
XFM is offline Find More Posts by XFM
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM View Post
No, they are the same size as the V929 and V949. it just looks bigger because it's closer to the camera.
I See ... so the Motors are the same size also?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:49 AM
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
I wonder about the difference of the V959 Motors in performance.
they should be an upgrade for the V929 too!

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...8-p-48084.html
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...8-p-61085.html