HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:58 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Discussion
HK does it again....

Been quite a bit of talk lately about prices & shipping costs. Here's some more.
If there's one thing I simply loathe about doing business with HK it's their inconsistency from one breath to the next. You never know between Checkout & Paypal what you're actually gonna be charged for your order.

Prime example just happened. Today I bought 4 motors from USA warehouse @ $89.36 for the lot.
On the page where they're pushing you to add more to your cart for 'no more freight cost', I'm shown several options for shipping - best of which reads:
USPS Priority Mail 2-3 Days 451-899g (Shipped from USA) $7.99 275g left.
I click 'Continue' to get to the PayPal log-in page and suddenly that ship option isn't available! I'm shown my shipping will be: $9.71
Yet I was still 275g under the Priority-Mail limit. Added nothing to the cart; those 4 motors the only item aboard.

Some might say "It's only $1.72 more".....but how many times a month or year do they pull this crap.....& on how many customers? Nickle-&-diming us to death. And it seems something like this has happened on every order I can recall placing with them. It's dishonest. And as I said in the intro, I loathe them for it.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:43 PM
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
922 Posts
I just ordered some nanotechs for my mcpx from the us warehouse and got the USPS Priority Mail 2-3 Days. It was the same price when i went to check out.
Ordered saturday and received them today.

I read all the horror stories but ive always had great luck from hobbying. I guess its luck of the draw though.

Garrett
Garrett1234567 is offline Find More Posts by Garrett1234567
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:19 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
This list does not include local warehouse or live shipping rates.
Click 'Continue' to see your actual shipping options
You make it sound like you are at the paypal purchase page and they are upcharging. They are not, they clearly show you before hand your actual shipping options, which are different from the estimates in the cart.
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
I've also noticed how the shipping rate jumps when you go to check out.
Is HK adding a handling charge to the shipping or is that shipping rate they show you when you add a item to your cart just incorrect? If it's just incorrect why show it at all. USPS rates don't change on a daily basis so why isn't the first rate they show you accurate? Looks like bait and switch to me.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:45 AM
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
Please read?

How is it a bait and switch if they tell you it's going to change? You don't even need to check out to see the new shipping rate, by clicking continue and seeing the actual rate you don't actually process the order. Your order is processed after you verify that and go to the payment page, whether it be CC or paypal.

If you want to see your actual shipping rates, just click continue. Your order IS NOT PLACED so you can see beforehand your actual costs.
Last edited by Razor_Racer; Jan 11, 2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:26 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,902 Posts
No point Razor, you will just get some BS talk about paid promoters, spin, deleted reviews. He is Condor on another forum, he makes his intentions perfectly clear there.

Cheers. Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:38 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,902 Posts
StarHopper, it's the same when I order in Aus. At the first page before it's confirmed mine and Chrissys details (which you can change) appear'. As we share the account it means I can change the address if I order to mine or to have it sent to work. It lists all available shipping options regardless of location (international and local). As Razor has said, when you then go to the next page it drops all the options not available for that package to that location. Why, well it allows you to change the shipping address so until the address is confirmed it doesn't really know where it is going. There is no baiting, there is no switching no sneaky loading extras, just elimination of those options not valid based on the final chosen destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
I've also noticed how the shipping rate jumps when you go to check out.
Is HK adding a handling charge to the shipping or is that shipping rate they show you when you add a item to your cart just incorrect? If it's just incorrect why show it at all. USPS rates don't change on a daily basis so why isn't the first rate they show you accurate? Looks like bait and switch to me.
Valanti256 why are you spinning this BS about bait and Switch. You are a platinum member at HK surely you know exactly the process and exactly what the buyer is informed of? I Just don't get it.

Mark
Last edited by KCV6; Jan 10, 2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:53 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
The postage charges because the method of calculating the postage changes. Once you get to the last page the shopping cart goes on line to USPS and gets what USPS will charge for that specific group of items on a volume/weight basis (hence the name Live Rate USPS). For some reason every now and then, 0g is shown for an item weight, in that case, USPS rates are not shown as USPS sees nothing to ship. The last time that happened to me I contacted the Support Centre, pointed out the problem and they fixed it. No mystery here, a little detective work on Google shows how it works and the problems that occasionally come up such as the 0g weight for an item.

Look up Live Rate USPS and learn about it.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:49 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,797 Posts
I can't see the big problem here at all and i won't try and explain why you thought the postage changed as Razor_Racer,hoppy and others have told you that it hasn't,what i would add though is if you still don't understand how it all works and feel that HK owes you $1/$2 just ask HK's CS to explain and i'm sure they will,if there was a problem which i don't think there was they will refund you the difference,simple.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
I just tried it again.(3rd time) I went to the HK site, location USA. I went to zippy lipoly Batts. I selected the first Battery and added it to my cart. I was signed in so they knew my address. They showed me a list of shipping options. It showed 2 different USPS live rates with no $ amount shown. Then they showed USPS Priority Mail 2-3days 0-450g (Within USA) $4.99 275g left. It's just One small battery hardly an oversized box. I then hit continue to check out and the SAME USPS Priority Mail 2-3days 0-450g (Within USA) increased to $6.36. WHY did they show me the $4.99 rate if it is INCORRECT??? WHERE did the $4.99 come from and WHY EVEN SHOW IT TO ME IF IT'S WRONG??? The USPS has set shipping rates and they DO NOT change on a daily basis. No spin here. This is the infomation HK gave me about shipping charges. To me it is bait and switch.
Last edited by valanti256; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:13 PM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,902 Posts
So it's the USPS live rate controlled by USPS that's changing? Yes USPS is known for it's bait and switch.

Mark
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:33 PM
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
They also show international air mail for $4, but they don't offer that option! BAIT AND SWITCH!!!

Please, just use basic logic.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:39 PM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,902 Posts
I must admit in Aus all our rates are fixed for internal from the Aus warehouse as Auspost parcel post based purely on weight and it never changes.

Mark
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Explain where HK got this $4.99 rate from????
USPS Priority Mail 2-3days 0-450g (Within USA) $4.99 275g left.
USPS shipping rates are set and don't change daily. Either show the correct amount in the first place or don't show it at all. Why show a bunch of shipping options that don't even apply. This could be very confusing and misleading to new customers or is it Bait and Switch.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
I have learned to never count on shipping from any company until I am on the final checkout page.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut